Official Review: Ironbark Hill by Jennie Linnane

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
ashpres12
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 445
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ashpres12.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 3 by H.M. Irwing
Reading Device: 1400698987

Re: Official Review: Ironbark Hill by Jennie Linnane

Post by ashpres12 »

Your in-depth and glowing review brings you in and makes you feel tingly all over. After reading this, I am definitely adding this to my to be read section, at the very top! Kudos to you on a wonderful review and double kudos to the author!!
tamdlyte
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... ittersweet: Sanctuary (Part 1 of 3)</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 295
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by tamdlyte »

A "coming of age" story that
gets under the skin of the reader
Alcoholism, abuse, discrimination, marriage fidelity... quite a hefty undertaking for a story. Interesting to use the chapters to explore different themes of the same story...
Gods Monkey
Currently Reading: The Morning Mind
Bookshelf Size: 59
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gods-monkey.html
Latest Review: Escape by Mark Kingston Levin, PhD

Post by Gods Monkey »

After reading such a glowing review, this book is definitely going on my must read list. I’m curious about the cow. Based on what the reviewer said a 4 out of 4 seems to be a very appropriate rating.
VictoriaMcMillen
Currently Reading: When Angels Play Poker
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-victoriamcmillen.html
Latest Review: The Making Of A Soldier by Adriene Odom

Post by VictoriaMcMillen »

I agree the sample I read was written well and emotionally grabbed me from the beginning. I am glad you enjoyed it, I will not be continuing as it is not interesting to me so far. I am glad I read your review.
~Victoria M.L. McMillen

"You can, you should, and if you are brave enough to start, you will." Stephen King
Melchi Asuma
Currently Reading: Patch Man
Bookshelf Size: 134
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-melchi-asuma.html
Latest Review: The Roving Mind: A Modern Approach to Cognitive Enhancement by Anthony Simola
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by Melchi Asuma »

Thank you for your review. You seem genuinely excited by this book. I, however, think I'll pass it on. I'm an ardent judge by the cover person and the cover just doesn't excite me.
MA
Ruadhan
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1115
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ruadhan.html
Latest Review: Can I Be Frank? by Rob Wyatt

Post by Ruadhan »

What an enthusiastic review! It speaks well of the novel that it could inspire you to this.
camilla1
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by camilla1 »

I love books in the 1st person. And the way you describe it feels like I'm already reading it. I also like books that make the time go faster so might just check it out :D
Coco_0129
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15

Post by Coco_0129 »

Thank you for your review of Ironbark Hill. I appreciated how you awknowledged the authors ability to portray Natalie’s character in many different contrasts. I admire your honesty when acknowledging how you felt towards Natalie and how your judgment of her character was less than positive after learning of some of her actions and choices. I agree when you say that this is not a book that only teenagers can appreciate. I feel adults who belong to social classes above or below where this story line is based could possibly be humbled after giving this story a chance.
Huda83
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-huda83.html
Latest Review: Trip to Adele by R I Alyaseer and A I Alyaseer

Post by Huda83 »

After reading your review I'm intrigued to find out more. It seems the story is very captivating and well-written to the extent that the characters and the issues surrounding them are real life.

With age I'm more into books that inspire or bring forth social messages. However I do commend the author for a book well written. Perhaps those interested in family drama type stories may enjoy more.
NAlice
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 6

Post by NAlice »

:techie-studyingbrown: :techie-studyingbrown: I like Natalie's character
She gives me caurage to go through hard times with out looking back. I love the story.
jaliper
Currently Reading: The Healer
Bookshelf Size: 598

Post by jaliper »

Wow, the review was unexpected. Reading the sample is not enough that's why I read your review. And now, I am pulled in. Thanks for the review!
SJSharks
Currently Reading: Unshaken
Bookshelf Size: 18

Post by SJSharks »

A very well written official review that has me more excited to read this book. There seems to be a lot of depth to this story.
Surabhi Rani
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Demonslayer
Bookshelf Size: 1887
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-surabhi-rani.html
Latest Review: How To Decorate Cookies With Your Kids in an Afternoon by Micah Rhodes
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Surabhi Rani »

The merit of the author of the book shines through the 'Official Review: Ironbark Hill, by Jennie Linnane'!
mideworld48
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by mideworld48 »

This book is one that relates exactly what we encounter, see and experience in our environment today. For those who have been in such situation, they would understand better. The case of Alex's alcoholistic preference is capable of derailing Natalie's dream of a good step father and creates a gap in missing her real father.
Bruce Glover must have been someone who has a good exemplary behaviour of a father-figure in that Rosemary might not have appreciated.
The book cuts across several situations we are bound to find ourselves at certain points in our life, its a very good book for everyone who cares to learn.
reader44ever
Currently Reading: Locke & Key
Bookshelf Size: 1052
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-reader44ever.html
Latest Review: Demon Freaks by J.R.R.R. (Jim) Hardison

Post by reader44ever »

Thank you for your great review! Unfortunately, despite your assurance that this is a book "for everyone who likes to read a good story," I think I'm going to pass on reading it. It's not a story that interests me very much. I read the sample, and those three chapters failed to draw me in. I found myself giving in to too many distractions while reading it. I like Natalie okay, but her mother and stepfather, I didn't like either of them. Her mother for staying with an abuser, and her stepfather being the abuser.

I cannot relate to any of these characters, so sadly, this book is not for me. Plus, it's historical fiction? If I'm going to read historical fiction that is not paranormal in any way, I really need it to involve WWII to interest me. Perhaps WWII will come up in this story? It was unclear to me in what decade Natalie turned 16. And you didn't mention a time frame in your review. ???

But anyway, this story just doesn't interest me. :cry:

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”