Official Review: Ironbark Hill by Jennie Linnane

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Ayomaamianda
Favorite Book: Twisted Threads
Currently Reading: Burn Zones
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ayomaamianda.html
Latest Review: Twisted Threads by Kaylin McFarren

Re: Official Review: Ironbark Hill by Jennie Linnane

Post by Ayomaamianda »

From the review the story sounds like it will definitely move the reader. Just like you enjoyed the book i hope i will too.
nandako
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by nandako »

it is interesting to read
laraiza82
Currently Reading:

Post by laraiza82 »

What a great review!! Although I'm new to this site, you definitely caught my eye and interest in reading this book. Thank you!
Amondi Oluoch
Favorite Book: Trip to Adele
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amondi-oluoch.html
Latest Review: Lemoncella Cocktail by Rene Natan

Post by Amondi Oluoch »

It sounds so interesting,
I'm not a lover of fiction books though, but I think I might give this one a try.
Especially now that it has managed April book of the month..
Lol
When it comes to directing the world to work with you, age doesn't matter, race doesn't matter, origin doesn't matter.
Stayathomemom16
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Stayathomemom16 »

Ironbark hill was pretty good. I was only able to get a sample. But what I was able to read I couldn't put down. I'm definitely going to be looking at the library for it. I do not like her step dad. I hate that he is abusive and makes them all walk on eggshells
Katerina Katapodi
Favorite Author: Rin Chupeco
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 57
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
fav_author_id: 3829

Post by Katerina Katapodi »

The book ''Ironbark Hill'' by Jennie Linnane, seems to be a quite good book, with a rather realistic story that can happen to everybody. The hero a sixteen eyar old girl, is charged by many difficulties and she's actually overcharged by problems of life, that are 'too much' for her age. Before having the possibility to enjoy her life, at this age, careless and bit restless, like all other girls AND boys of her age, she has to face difficulties, of difficulty not analoguous for her age, that actually don't 'suit' her and are not for her as a teenager.
She struggles hard to manage, everything of which she's charged, and for this reasons she has to sacrifice many things: Her youth and dreams, in an 'unequal battle' fo rher age, by being 'obliged' to postpone her dreams and beauty of life, for later, if this is possible. Th result is in thi case, that an adolescent like this becomes or has to become an adult to cope with all those problems, take revenge of death of her real father, take care of her mother and her mentally ill brother, like she were her true father, thus undertaking the role of a Chief and boss in her family, namely her father. And of course, she'll definitely become mature much earlier than she should. Her dreams can be fulfilled, thus to become a teacher of art, but undergoing many problems at the same time, and coping with unexpected unstable factors in her daily life. She's got to manage everything in order to 'earn her life; and get finally what she deserves. The guy with whome she falls in love, anyone would like to know, will he really help her, as a good relationship, by solving the problem of loneliness? Or will she create for her more problems. In the second case, she'll ahve to break up and may be meet somebody else who will replace him, as love relationships at this age, don't usually last long. Time will show..
abim_132
Currently Reading: The Reel Sisters
Bookshelf Size: 4

Post by abim_132 »

what a heart touching preview. I wish I was the girl who had a happy life despite the turbulent times. a mixture of feelings and emotions. a work to the writer. a good thumb up review

the journey of a thousand miles begins with a step...............president
Tamorie Hargro
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Billy Summers
Bookshelf Size: 168
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tamorie-hargro.html
Latest Review: Teardrops by Helen Burger
Reading Device: B083JVJQH4

Post by Tamorie Hargro »

I think your review does this book justice in that I really want to read the book mostly because of how beautifully you described it! You make the book seem so appealing. I really enjoy books where I can get a feel of all the characters and their feelings without getting confused or overwhelmed, and when, from chapter to chapter, the story flows slowly and smoothly. I think I'll have to give this story a read.
J.K. Rowling - Albus Dumbledore, Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban wrote:Happiness can be found even in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light. 🔥
Sanju Lali
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: Goodbye, Rudy Kazoody
Bookshelf Size: 445
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sanju-lali.html
Latest Review: The Unfakeable Code® by Tony Jeton Selimi

Post by Sanju Lali »

The review sounds very good about the book, i wanted to read the book expecting that it would keep me sticked to it.
Chandler_Greg
Currently Reading: Beneath the Kauri Tree
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chandler-greg.html
Latest Review: Skills of the Warramunga by Greg Kater

Post by Chandler_Greg »

While there is much I agree with in your review, there are some points at which I take issue. One major theme of the novel involve the extreme prejudice faced by the main character. Her step-father hates and mistreats her (at least partly) because her dark complexion and kinky hair remind him of her biological father, who was half aborigine. Theirs had been a fierce and violent rivalry fed by racial hatred.
Like you, I had mixed feelings as the novel ended with its acceptance of a decades long affair. I think the author was trying to contrast that long-held love with the violent, racially-charged attempted rape that is a pivotal moment in the story.
SereneCharles
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-serenecharles.html
Latest Review: Sigfried’s Smelly Socks! by Len Foley

Post by SereneCharles »

With your review, I'm now impatient to read the book myself. Thanks for this.
Writing is so much fun. So is reading. :techie-studyingbrown:
shidawn
Currently Reading: Superhighway
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shidawn.html
Latest Review: Jonny the boy from the road by J.n.stephenson

Post by shidawn »

Thanks for the review. It sounds like an interesting book. It sounds like Natalie is facing several difficult situations in her life.
joy2013
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3

Post by joy2013 »

Your review of the book is so beautiful. The character description is captivating
Mazdee 2018
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Mazdee 2018 »

from what i have read in the review it seems to be a must read book. You have aroused my reading apetite
P-Queen
Currently Reading:

Post by P-Queen »

Wow such an interesting novel, i really love this. i feel like reading it over and over again. thanks to the author

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”