Official Review: Sister Carrie by William H. Coles

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
MrsCatInTheHat
Favorite Book: Cry the Beloved Country
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 376
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mrscatinthehat.html
Latest Review: Marc Marci by Larry G. Goldsmith
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 0

Official Review: Sister Carrie by William H. Coles

Post by MrsCatInTheHat »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Sister Carrie" by William H. Coles.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Imagine feeling as if no one understands you and no one seems to really want you. William H. Coles explores these themes in Sister Carrie. The Broward children have just buried both of their parents, rather unexpectedly. The youngest sister is a mere 17 years old and needs someone to take care of her until she reaches 18. They all have excuses, from being busy with their own kids, to not being able to afford her care. Jessie finally decides to relent if the others will help financially.

Jessie and Carrie have very different ideas on how life should be and on what decisions Carrie should be allowed to make for herself. Carrie falls into a relationship with a man rather quickly, leading to a life of mystery and intrigue. Readers are taken on a ride where it is not always clear as to whom they should be rooting for or against. In the meantime, Jessie is lonely and tired of creeps trying to get close to her. Will she ever find happiness, either alone or with a special man?

Watching the characters develop and change over time is intriguing, as their growth is not necessarily what one would expect. Carrie and Jessie are both immature as the story begins, despite Jessie being a bit older. As Carrie experiences her new life and meets difficult challenges, she changes in ways that are not always obvious. Jessie is always down on herself, having difficulty finding happiness in life, despite the efforts of others to include her in their lives. Over time, one sees growth in the way Jessie lives her life, in a very unpredictable way.

“Unpredictable” is a major theme in Sister Carrie, one that I did not really connect with as being a theme until I started writing the review. Often, it is the reactions of the characters that are unexpected, as well as the end game. Without spoiling the story, I can tell you that you will not be able to predict how the story ends, yet there will be times in the story that you think that you have this one down, only to find yourself wrong. Without a doubt, this was my favorite part of the book, as all too often authors are “predictable.”

I only wish that the story had been a full-length novel instead of a short story, as I would have liked to have known a bit more about what happened between the main story and the epilogue. There were minimal grammar errors, which would have been unnoticeable had I not been looking for them. There were a few pages that had formatting issues, with large gaps between the last paragraph on the prior page and the first paragraph on the new page.

I rate this book 3 out of 4 stars. I enjoyed the story, the intrigue, and the unpredictability. I found that the missing aspects before the epilogue really should have been included in the story. Readers that enjoy stories that enjoy intrigue and mystery will find this story appealing, as will those looking for a quick read with substance. There is some sexual content, so I would not recommend it those who prefer clean reading.

Sister Carrie
View: on Bookshelves

Like CatInTheHat's review? Post a comment saying so!
Life without a good book is something MrsCatInTheHat cannot imagine.
Puspa02
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Puspa02 »

A wonderful story to read through
Mercelle
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 10262">The Wisdom and Peace of the Teachings of the Tao Te Ching</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 204
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mercelle.html
Latest Review: The Future of Finance and Money by K. Braeden Anderson

Post by Mercelle »

The first sentence got me hooked. Not belonging is a feeling that most young adults go through. Did you say that the story is unpredictable? In that case, let me test my imagination.
"The minimum requirement for a dream is a safe place to lay your head."
~OluTimehin Adegbeye
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

It does sound like an interesting story. Mr Coles is good at character development. Still, I'm not sure this one is for me. Thanks for the review, though.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Ivy Davie
Currently Reading: Primeval Origins
Bookshelf Size: 5

Post by Ivy Davie »

Seems interesting. Its worth my time.
Dayooginni

Post by Dayooginni »

Amazing story
MrsCatInTheHat
Currently Reading:

Post by MrsCatInTheHat »

kandscreeley wrote:It does sound like an interesting story. Mr Coles is good at character development. Still, I'm not sure this one is for me. Thanks for the review, though.
I think he is one of the best when it comes to character development.
JUDY NYACHOMBA
Currently Reading: The Conjurer's Game
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-judy-nyachomba.html
Latest Review: "Puffy and the Formidable Foe" by Marie Lepkowski and Ann Marie Hannon

Post by JUDY NYACHOMBA »

Imagine feeling as if no one understands you and no one seems to really want you.

I got hooked by the first sentence in your review. I think it is book it read - what life can be. Unpredictable - that makes it more interesting.
Latest Review: "Puffy and the Formidable Foe" by Marie Lepkowski and Ann Marie Hannon
Adedola
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by Adedola »

To be honest, when I saw the cover of the book and the title, I was put off already...reading your review makes this book fall under the "Don't judge a book by it's cover" category...It sounds like a good read!
SpiderDreamer1

Post by SpiderDreamer1 »

Interesting review! How do you think things could have been expanded between the main story and the epilogue, though?
MrsCatInTheHat
Currently Reading:

Post by MrsCatInTheHat »

SpiderDreamer1 wrote:Interesting review! How do you think things could have been expanded between the main story and the epilogue, though?
That is a really difficult question to answer without revealing spoilers from the story. To put it simply, it would have been helpful to know a little more about what was happening between some of the characters. I cannot say which ones, though, because that would reveal too much!
bookowlie
Special Discussion Leader
Favorite Book: The Lost Continent
Currently Reading: The Night She Went Missing
Bookshelf Size: 442
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookowlie.html
Latest Review: To Paint A Murder by E. J. Gandolfo

Post by bookowlie »

Great review! I particularly enjoyed reading your opinions since I also read and reviewed this book. My review was delivered privately to the author so it wasn't published here. It's interesting that we both gave the book the same rating. :) I liked the characters, but thought the story was a little rushed at times and had many time jumps.
"The best way out is always through" - Robert Frost
MrsCatInTheHat
Currently Reading:

Post by MrsCatInTheHat »

bookowlie wrote:Great review! I particularly enjoyed reading your opinions since I also read and reviewed this book. My review was delivered privately to the author so it wasn't published here. It's interesting that we both gave the book the same rating. :) I liked the characters, but thought the story was a little rushed at times and had many time jumps.
I completely understand what you mean about the rushing and the time jumps.
inaramid
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Siege and Storm
Bookshelf Size: 144
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-inaramid.html
Latest Review: The Fourth Kinetic by Brady Moore

Post by inaramid »

I totally agree with you that a lot of stories have become so "predictable." I'm curious about what you meant with "unpredictability" though. I'd love to see how this story plays out.
MrsCatInTheHat
Currently Reading:

Post by MrsCatInTheHat »

inaramid wrote: I'm curious about what you meant with "unpredictability" though.
You'll have to read it to find out :D

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”