Official Review: Strong Heart by Charlie Sheldon

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Azeline Arcenal
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 119
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zenalei7.html
Latest Review: Christmas in the Kingdom of Kool by Joan J. Harris

Official Review: Strong Heart by Charlie Sheldon

Post by Azeline Arcenal »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Strong Heart" by Charlie Sheldon.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Strong Heart is a fascinating novel filled with adventure, mysteries, and drama. Set in the Pacific Northwest, the story is written by Charlie Sheldon and narrated by Laurel Ann White.

Tom and his Native American friends, William and Myra, are packing up for a backpacking adventure through Olympic National Park when an unannounced visitor shows up at the front door. This visitor turns out to be Tom’s unknown granddaughter, Sarah. As Tom reluctantly agrees to take Sarah hiking with him, he has no idea of the struggles that he and his companions will face. When Sarah disappears, Tom is determined to find her. Eight days later, she reappears and tells of an impossible story of what happened when she disappeared. As the other three try to make sense of Sarah’s story, they face even more challenges after they go back home.

This is the first time that I listened to an audiobook, and I was surprised to find myself enjoying it. The narration was well done, but at times it was a bit flat, and it felt a little monotone. I liked the variation of the voices between each character because they were all distinctive. However, I think I still prefer reading books rather than listening to them.

Throughout the book, the descriptions of the scenes including Olympic National Park were vivid, and it was easy to visualize the scenes. The mix between science and legend added a unique twist to the story. Even though the author didn’t provide much background information on the characters, it wasn’t necessary as it wasn’t difficult to keep up with the story.

Most of story is told from William’s point of view, but some of the story was told from Sarah’s point of view. When Sarah recounted her story behind her disappearance, I was a little confused at first and wondered if I had accidentally skipped a part in the story. Her story seemed so bizarre that I had to go back to the beginning of her story to make sure I didn’t miss anything. To me, it seemed like she was gone for months when in reality she was only gone for eight days. It was until later on in the book that I realized the meaning behind her story.

The only thing that I didn’t like about this book was the ending. It seemed abrupt and left a few questions unanswered. However, I think that was a minor detail, and I thoroughly enjoyed reading this book. Overall, I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars. I would recommend this book to those who like to read adventure stories mixed with Native American legends and archaeology.

Strong Heart
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like ZenaLei7's review? Post a comment saying so!
“The only important thing in a book is the meaning that it has for you.” - W. Somerset Maugham
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

I enjoy listening to audio books on long trips. This sounds like one that I might have to put on my list. Thanks for a lovely review!
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Azeline Arcenal
Currently Reading:

kandscreeley wrote:I enjoy listening to audio books on long trips. This sounds like one that I might have to put on my list. Thanks for a lovely review!
Thanks!
“The only important thing in a book is the meaning that it has for you.” - W. Somerset Maugham
Ndayisabayamado3
Currently Reading: I Can't Make This Up
Bookshelf Size: 15

Post by Ndayisabayamado3 »

I really liked this adventure story it's highly amazing to read.
Amagine
Favorite Author: James Patterson
Bookshelf Size: 721
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amagine.html
Latest Review: "Salome and Gogo visit Soweto" by Cora Groenewald
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG
fav_author_id: 3251

Post by Amagine »

I also like audio books and this one sounds like an interesting book.

Great Review! ?
"Piglet noticed that even though he had a very small heart, it could hold a rather large amount of gratitude." -A.A Milne

"I am grateful for all the books that sparked my imagination." -Unknown
Latest Review: "Salome and Gogo visit Soweto" by Cora Groenewald
Azeline Arcenal
Currently Reading:

Ndayisabayamado3 wrote:I really liked this adventure story it's highly amazing to read.
Thanks for reading!

-- 17 Aug 2017, 09:37 --
Amagine wrote:I also like audio books and this one sounds like an interesting book.

Great Review! ?
Thanks!
Odogola Benjamin
Currently Reading: The Expansion
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Odogola Benjamin »

Wow, beautiful mind, beautiful books but yours is such abrilliant one.
Azeline Arcenal
Currently Reading:

Odogola Benjamin wrote:Wow, beautiful mind, beautiful books but yours is such abrilliant one.
Thanks!
The Researcher
Currently Reading: Buried Threads
Bookshelf Size: 101
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-the-researcher.html
Latest Review: "Curve Couture" by H M Irwing
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by The Researcher »

Nice review! It looks like you enjoyed the adventure in this book. Thanks for sharing your views.
What is the most special thing I did today- I was MYSELF. Happy and in love and unapologetically myself.
Azeline Arcenal
Currently Reading:

The Researcher wrote:Nice review! It looks like you enjoyed the adventure in this book. Thanks for sharing your views.
I did enjoy it! Thanks for reading.
The Researcher
Currently Reading: Buried Threads
Bookshelf Size: 101
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-the-researcher.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by The Researcher »

ZenaLei7 wrote:
The Researcher wrote:Nice review! It looks like you enjoyed the adventure in this book. Thanks for sharing your views.
I did enjoy it! Thanks for reading.
You are welcome. I enjoyed reading your review.
What is the most special thing I did today- I was MYSELF. Happy and in love and unapologetically myself.
Haifa_books
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 14666">Act Like a Lady, Think Like a Man</a>
Currently Reading: The Power of Now
Bookshelf Size: 11

Post by Haifa_books »

i like your review ,i read all the important things that i need when i wanna
read a review ,and yes i'm one of those who like adventures books thank you dear :)
Azeline Arcenal
Currently Reading:

Haifa_books wrote:i like your review ,i read all the important things that i need when i wanna
read a review ,and yes i'm one of those who like adventures books thank you dear :)
Thanks for reading!
IsabelMay
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3761
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-isabelmay.html
Latest Review: "Anna's Journey" by Gerald Miller

Post by IsabelMay »

Native American legends are an interesting feature. I'm glad I'm not the only one who notices that narration in audiobooks can sometimes be flat and kind of ruin the story itself but hopefully it isn't a big problem here.
Latest Review: "Anna's Journey" by Gerald Miller
Azeline Arcenal
Currently Reading:

IsabelMay wrote:Native American legends are an interesting feature. I'm glad I'm not the only one who notices that narration in audiobooks can sometimes be flat and kind of ruin the story itself but hopefully it isn't a big problem here.
It wasn't a big problem here. Thanks for reading!

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”