Official Review: Baggage by Dana Turk

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Jgideon
Favorite Book: Gates to Tangier
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 253
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jgideon.html
Latest Review: Sundays with Sister ssj by Anthony Happy LaRiccia

Re: Official Review: Baggage by Dana Turk

Post by Jgideon »

The college students who hoped to make ends meet by joining the military took a really big step. The book seems to be full of information about the Vietnam war, especially concerning the lives of young adults during that time. However, my TBR list is loaded with several books at the moment. I will pass this one.
Shas F
Currently Reading: Monsters in the Hallway
Bookshelf Size: 255
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shas-f.html
Latest Review: The Engine Woman's Light by Laurel Anne Hill

Post by Shas F »

I thank va2016 for a straightforward, no bs review on Baggage by Dana L. Turk as it guides us on what to expect in the first few chapters of the book, the most crucial part in reeling in readers. There's a sea of dramatic fiction out there. It is important that a book signals what it is all about and then sets the pace in the first chapter to keep its readers' attention. It appears that this book is a slow boil but is worth the wait for readers interested in the impact of the Vietnam War and all the other wars America fought, on the soldiers and their families.
Baggage is about five friends who all grew up in Colorado together and joined the military. This is the story of their friendship, coming of age, their courage and loyalty in the line of duty and their reflections on the choices they have to make in life. Expect poignancy, sadness and enlightenment as the friends go through phases in life. Va2016 ultimately finds this an engaging read as the story gets moving in the second half. For those who considerably lost in the Vietnam War, this historical fiction may serve as a touching remembrance of that difficult period.
jaliper
Currently Reading: The Healer
Bookshelf Size: 598

Post by jaliper »

I have always been interested in military stories. This seems like personal and behind-the-scenes takes of theses soldiers lives. I am very interested in reading this one. Thanks for the review!
tranquilwaters86+2
Currently Reading: Real Principals Have No Class
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tranquilwaters86-2.html
Latest Review: Together by Claire Youmans

Post by tranquilwaters86+2 »

This book happens just a few years before I was born and it feels odd that people would refer to it as history. The word is accurate though.

I like how the reviewer was able to describe the pace of this story and what would the readers could expect if one decides to read it.

:tiphat:
T_stone
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-t-stone.html
Latest Review: Marketing on Fleek by Kobi Ben Meir
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by T_stone »

I've read about the Vietnam war and this one seems to talk adversely on different themes. I hope the errors in the book are fixed now. I think I'll pass on this one. Thanks for the review.
Feeling upset sometimes may be unavoidable, but acting distressed is always optional.

Rob White
Beatus
Currently Reading: Homicide
Bookshelf Size: 74
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-beatus.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker

Post by Beatus »

A very analytic and honest review. I sence that the book might appeal to some with different perspectives, with another round of brush-up of course.
TheTrueNyree
Currently Reading: McDowell
Bookshelf Size: 77
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-thetruenyree.html
Latest Review: The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci by Belle Ami

Post by TheTrueNyree »

Sounds like and intense read.great review. Congratulations on BOTD

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”