Contemporary Fiction Books

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
VTell
Bookshelf Size: 0

Re: Contemporary Fiction Books

Post by VTell »

I Just Came Here to Dance, by award-winning author Susan Mary Malone, is a very special new book. I've read everything by this author, and this novel put her in a different league. For me, it wove together reality, the stories we tell ourselves about ourselves, and that part of our fantasy and mythological worlds that steep our hopes and desires. All these things come into play for a bible-belt Texas girl who just wanted to dance, though it was strictly taboo.
Heather
Favorite Author: Diana Gabaldon
Favorite Book: Outlander series
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-heather.html
Latest Review: "Differences" by Cristina Monro
fav_author_id: 2373

Post by Heather »

I don't usually read contemporary fiction (I prefer historical), but I recently read While We Were Watching Downton Abbey, by Wendy Wax, because I just loved watching Downton Abbey. I really enjoyed the book, which was about the unlikely friendship that develops between three women who live in the same building, who all watch a weekly screening of Downton Abbey together. The show is discussed briefly, but you don't need to have watched it to enjoy the book. However, I think I liked it more because I love the show. It was a much lighter read than what I'm normally into, which was nice for a change.
Latest Review: "Differences" by Cristina Monro
VTell

Post by VTell »

Forgot to mention that there's a book giveaway for one of the author's other books, "What's Wrong With My Family, and How To Live Your Best Life Anyway," and the author will be giving away copies of "I Just Came Here To Dance" also.

I can't post the link here because I'm a new member, but you can search the Goodreads giveaways for those titles.

Good Luck!
gipps
Favorite Author: Guy Gavriel Kay
Favorite Book: Tigana
Currently Reading: Shadows Over Bakers Street
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gipps.html
fav_author_id: 13379

Post by gipps »

I just read The Night Gwen Stacy Died by Sarah Bruni, and it was amazing. Lots of layers, and great characters. The relationship between the two characters was a little problematic at times, but I think purposefully so. Throw in some comic book references and weaving it all together to tell a story about family and freedom, and it turned out to be a great read.
cristhian

Post by cristhian »

As the category itself suggests the book I am going to tell you about does not fall into a science fiction book; nevertheless, the main character of the story is a school teacher whose passion is to write fiction stories. The plot is about her family issues , more precisely with her mother and how she figures out a way to address it through the power of a good story. The book is titled "The Fiction Class", to anyone looking for good literature and I got it in oferton de libros. Good luck on your search for amazing literature. :D
Jenn+books
Favorite Author: Anne Tyler
Favorite Book: Jane Eyre
Currently Reading: Always a Shakespeare
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jenn-books.html
fav_author_id: 6534

Post by Jenn+books »

hnardi8 wrote:I don't usually read contemporary fiction (I prefer historical), but I recently read While We Were Watching Downton Abbey, by Wendy Wax, because I just loved watching Downton Abbey. I really enjoyed the book, which was about the unlikely friendship that develops between three women who live in the same building, who all watch a weekly screening of Downton Abbey together. The show is discussed briefly, but you don't need to have watched it to enjoy the book. However, I think I liked it more because I love the show. It was a much lighter read than what I'm normally into, which was nice for a change.
Sounds like an interesting book. I haven't heard of it, but I also love Downton Abbey. And I think I could use some light reading. I'll have to check it out. Thanks!
jake_roar
Favorite Author: Mary Roach
Favorite Book: Stiff
Currently Reading: Stiff
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jake-roar.html
fav_author_id: 3485

Post by jake_roar »

This kid book is hilarious. I would sometimes like to get rid of my parents too. :lol: :D :)

-
moni06

Post by moni06 »

I recommend The Other Side Of us. i just love how these two people found each other and got out of there comfort zone.
everafter09
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-everafter09.html

Post by everafter09 »

A book I thoroughly enjoyed reading was Beautiful Disaster by Jamie McGuire. It is about an intense romance between Travis and Abby that is every bit dramatic as you would expect a college romance to be. He's the bad boy from the wrong side of the tracks and she's the good girl always on track. It very much reminded me of Lady and the Tramp as his nickname for her was also, "Pigeon". I found myself on a roller coaster of love with all the romantic parts and then the low, heartbreaking, chest-bursting moments. You will be tugged in many directions! The book kept me guessing and wondering what was going to happen next!

-- 26 Oct 2013, 12:26 --
RachanaS1

Post by RachanaS1 »

I'm a big Nicolas Sparks fan or any chic-lit novels. I just love the romance of them and then contemporary women issues as well.
anshu 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anshu-14.html

Post by anshu 14 »

For Spiritual/philosiphical- Paulo Coelho books, they are quite good, relatable and thought provoking
For those who enjoy dicussions on medical ethics & court room drama- Jodi Picoult books-Sing you Home, Nineteen Minutes & House Rules to name a few.
LiamSweeny

Post by LiamSweeny »

I recently read a book called "The Bitch" by Les Edgerton.

I really enjoyed it. Coffee at 3 a.m. enjoyed it. It's a crime/noir story about a two-time felon who has to wear "The Bitch", prison slang for "habitual criminal" around his neck in a 3 strikes state. Edgerton did a great job sending Jake, his main character, from life as a 'straight' to the depths of the past from which he can't escape. It's a really good read if you like crime/noir.
mimi4ever33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mimi4ever33.html

Post by mimi4ever33 »

My ultimate favorite contemporary is The Edge of Never. This book was absolutely amazing. I really loved the pace of this book the most. Most contemporary books either go too fast or took slow and are such drag- ons but this book was just amazing.
CR Sutton
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cr-sutton.html

Post by CR Sutton »

Orphan Train is an interesting mix of historical and modern fiction. It is about a Teenage foster kid and the life of a 90 something irish immigrant. They find that their lives are similar that they would have expected.

Marisa de los Santos's book are also really good. I laugh out loud every time i read or even reread one. They are all about different kinds of love and finding love when perhaps you thought it couldn't be found.
Dark Angel74
Favorite Author: Amy Miles
Favorite Book: Defiance rising
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 5
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dark-angel74.html
Latest Review: World, Incorporated by Tom Gariffo
fav_author_id: 15076

Post by Dark Angel74 »

I would like to recommend this book series Let Me Go by L.L. AKers this book has a lot of suspense and mystery it touchs on a few subjects about abuse and what a young family of 3 little girls go threw growing up and how they somehow survive threw the most worse things imaginable and are able to see that in the end they need to stick together to finally be free.

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”