Contemporary Fiction Books

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Allindy88
Currently Reading: Bulllfinch's Mythology
Bookshelf Size: 58

Richter Ten by Rob Leininger

Post by Allindy88 »

Richter Ten, another of Rob Leininger's foray into a natural disaster novel, scores a ten with me.

Though the template is identical to Sunspot, another of his books involving a catastrophic event, his pace, style, dialogue, scene development and robust characterization completely immerse the reader in the story. This book elicits comparison to the plotlines of Cussler and the detailed research of Crichton with one exception. Rather than a wealthy globe trotting adventurer, the protaganist in Richter Ten is Steve Bell, a middle aged, divorced, geophysicist pursuing his master's degree who along with his teenaged daughter, Lissa, is surveying and studying several fumaroles in a remote section of Oregon.

His research has indicated a potential for a cataclysmic event that could prevent the extraction of the valuable mineral scandium from land owned by a local and powerful businessman named Drew Gannon. Faced with losing a potential $20 million windfall Gannon a manipulative megalomaniac arranges to have his half-niece Kate, a retired Victoria Secret model, spy on his perceived nemesis. Ultimately, things don't quite go as Gannon planned so he is forced to pursue a far more devious course that culminates in an explosive and exciting conclusion as the environment begins to collapse around them.

In spite of the book's 395 page length, the riveting plot and the character dynamics made it an extremely easy and entertaining read and one I believe fans of this genre would thoroughly enjoy
bonsai_fan89
Currently Reading: Low Life
Bookshelf Size: 6
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bonsai-fan89.html

Post by bonsai_fan89 »

A Little Life by Hanya Yanagihara.
I was immediately hooked within the first few pages, and though the beginning of this novel seems to follow the same path as many other coming-of-age-in-New-York-City stories, it was clear that there was something distinctly different... and that difference became more apparent about halfway in. The character development is so deep, this is the type of story that sort of becomes your life while you're reading it.
Highly recommended! :techie-studyingbrown:
dawuddustin
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by dawuddustin »

My all time Favorited is Harry potter series and nothing could beat the fantastic imagination of J.K Rowling. Its just an awesome series of books
Insightsintobooks729
Currently Reading: Meet your soul
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-insightsintobooks729.html
Latest Review: "Discovering My Life's Purpose: From Tragedy to Triumph" by Bridgid Ruden
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Insightsintobooks729 »

I really enjoyed A Hundred Small Lessons by Ashley Hay.
"I cannot live without Books" - Thomas Jefferson
Latest Review: "Discovering My Life's Purpose: From Tragedy to Triumph" by Bridgid Ruden
Fu Zaila
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1067
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fuzaila.html
Latest Review: What's Your Favorite Color? by Amber L Lassiter

Post by Fu Zaila »

One lesser known gem in contemporary genre is 'Far From the Tree' by Robin Benway. It is about three siblings separated at birth. Must read, if you ask me.
"Create your own identity. Let it be unique for yourself yet identifiable for others." :tiphat:
HanElizabeth397
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hanelizabeth397.html
Latest Review: The Mindset by Ace Bowers

Post by HanElizabeth397 »

dawuddustin wrote: 23 Nov 2017, 03:02 My all time Favorited is Harry potter series and nothing could beat the fantastic imagination of J.K Rowling. Its just an awesome series of books
So so true! Easily my all time favourite as well!
Annette S
Currently Reading: Devil Among Us
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-annette-s.html
Latest Review: Hallowed Ground by Cindy Ziperman

Post by Annette S »

For the readers who love to read mystery and supsene novels I would recommend Dean Koontz or John Grisham . These authors are among the many best sellers in the mystery and suspense category.

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”