Review of Shattered Lives

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Brenda Creech
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Mary Pat Ferron Caines
Favorite Book: The Reel Sisters
Currently Reading: Rainbow’s End
Bookshelf Size: 357
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-brenda-creech.html
Latest Review: Was She Crying for Me? by Jerry Hyde
fav_author_id: 253250

Review of Shattered Lives

Post by Brenda Creech »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Shattered Lives" by Charles R. Young.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Alon Levy was on the first flight out of Israel to Chicago. His son, Nadev, is severely injured after a bombing at a restaurant. Nadev was visiting his sister, Sonya, who was attending college in Chicago. There was the usual friction between Alon and Nadev as he departed. Both constantly disagreed on their different political views. Alon was part of the Israeli intelligence agency Mossad, and Nadev disapproved. But now Nadev is injured, and Alon has to get to him.

On a frigid and windy day in Chicago, while Sonya was in class, Nadev met her friends Denise and Walid at Sid's Delicatessen for lunch. Sid's is a popular Jewish establishment in the region. It was a special day at Sid's because they donated twenty percent of the day's money to the Israeli Peace Fund. Denise was alone at the table when there was a sudden loud explosion as the building exploded, killing Denise instantly. Nadev had excused himself to go to the restroom, where he was found unconscious with severe injuries. Walid had gone to speak to the cashier to ask precisely where the twenty percent of the day's money would go. Walid had sustained minimal injuries. After being treated in an ambulance, Walid was told to stay and be interviewed, but he ran away. Leaving his son's hospital room, two FBI agents approached Alon, asking him to consult on their investigation into the attack. What was that all about? He was determined to figure it out.

Shattered Lives by Charles R. Young is a suspenseful who-done-it that keeps the reader guessing to the end. Young did an exceptional job with character development, especially with Alon Levy. As part of the Israeli secret service, Mossad is the national intelligence agency of Israel, and Alon had the perfect personality for the job. Young was also proficient with keeping the suspense building as the story progressed. The author also incorporated some romance into the story, which I enjoyed. My favorite part was the budding romance between Alon and the female FBI agent, Rebecca. One scene was suggestively sexual but nothing graphic to offend the reader.

My only complaint with the book is the type of profanity used. There is a reasonable amount for the storyline; however, it is the decidedly foul words I felt uncomfortable reading. Some graphically violent scenes may disturb sensitive readers. Despite those issues, this book is an excellent read. It has all the elements to make it stand out as a mystery crime novel.

The editing was near perfect, and the suspense building with each new chapter made me want to keep turning the pages to find out what happened next. Young keeps the reader guessing to the end and then drops a bombshell. Even after reading the last page, I was still stunned by the story's outcome. For these reasons, I am delighted to give this book 4 out of 4 stars. I could not find any reason to warrant taking away any stars. This book is most appropriate for mature readers eighteen and older who enjoy mystery and crime novels and don't object to books about terrorism and profanity.

Shattered Lives
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
B. Creech
"Like beauty in the eyes, the divinity of the rose may be in the nose that smells it, and the lover that beholds it." Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
FunkyFlowerLady
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Terms of Service
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 102
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-funkyflowerlady.html
Latest Review: Stage Fright by John Gore

Post by FunkyFlowerLady »

A good whodunnit is one that keeps you guessing till the end, and after reading your exceptional review, I think the author executed it perfectly.
Wren Michaels
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wren-michaels.html
Latest Review: Terms of Service by Craig W. Stanfill

Post by Wren Michaels »

The front cover of this book was intriguing enough but thank you for your well-written review
Amy Luman
Currently Reading: 2084
Bookshelf Size: 1015
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amy-luman.html
Latest Review: Zona II by Fred G. Baker
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Amy Luman »

This is my favorite type of novel. For some reason, terrorist bombings appeal to me. I think it's because I like to see the perpetrators get what's coming to them.
Michaeleedsy
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-michaeleedsy.html
Latest Review: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures by Catherine A. Pepe

Post by Michaeleedsy »

I like reading suspense-filled books, and I can tell from this review that I'd love to read this book. The storyline is good, and I'd love to know how the story ended. Thanks for your honest review.
Brenda Creech

Post by Brenda Creech »

FunkyFlowerLady wrote: 06 Nov 2022, 04:14 A good whodunnit is one that keeps you guessing till the end, and after reading your exceptional review, I think the author executed it perfectly.
This one kept me guessing! I would think I knew the perpetrator and then would turn the page and find out I was wrong! Thanks for stopping by and commenting!
B. Creech
"Like beauty in the eyes, the divinity of the rose may be in the nose that smells it, and the lover that beholds it." Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
Brenda Creech

Post by Brenda Creech »

Amy Luman wrote: 07 Nov 2022, 11:44 This is my favorite type of novel. For some reason, terrorist bombings appeal to me. I think it's because I like to see the perpetrators get what's coming to them.
This book kept me reading to find out what would happen next, so the author carried out the suspense very well. Thanks for stopping by and commenting!
B. Creech
Emmy page
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-emmy-page.html
Latest Review: Phobia Relief by Kalliope Barlis

Post by Emmy page »

Terrorists and secret agents move hand-in-hand. The events that follow make for a great reading experience especially when the secret agents expose the bad guys. how the writer weaves this cat-mouse games is an interesting read judging from this review.
Brenda Creech

Post by Brenda Creech »

Emmy page wrote: 15 Nov 2022, 03:16 Terrorists and secret agents move hand-in-hand. The events that follow make for a great reading experience especially when the secret agents expose the bad guys. how the writer weaves this cat-mouse games is an interesting read judging from this review.
It is definitely an interesting read! Thanks for stopping by and commenting!
B. Creech

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”