Review of Bound By Honor

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Kansas City Teacher
Review Team Admin
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 200
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kansas-city-teacher.html
Latest Review: Project: 211 by Sammy Maida

Review of Bound By Honor

Post by Kansas City Teacher »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Bound By Honor" by Sid Smith.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

“I’m Trouble, and this is my little helper.” The words are so simple yet mean so much more. Lurch and Chuy are two mischievous boys whose youthful antics have given them the nicknames “Trouble” and “Trouble’s Little Helper.” Chuy and Lurch meet Harvey in the Marine Corps, and they become the Three Musketeers. After his military obligation is over, Chuy joins the police department, a job that is not for the weak-hearted. His experiences as an officer burden his soul. Bonded by a love for the game of baseball, Chuy and Father Olvera become close friends over the years. It is in this priest that Chuy finds solace and comfort during the lowest moments of his life. Bound By Honor: A Tale of Friendship, Faith, Family, and Fate, written by Sid Smith, is the story of Chuy and his close circle of influence.

There are several underlying themes in this book, and it is not a light read by any means. The dynamic bonds created between the characters are endearing and are described with the perfect amount of detail. In one scene, it is written, “..this guy saved my life. He’ll be there for you, if you want him.” I frequently had to pause reading to absorb the plight of the characters. I also appreciated the religious undertones; compared to other books with religious elements, this one has a realism that makes it more relevant. The arduous relationship between the community and police departments is also voiced. The story’s momentum builds from the beginning, as the author uses foreshadowing to draw readers into the narrative. The very best part is the end, where many loose ends are tied up.

The character development is amazing and is my favorite part of the book. The protagonist and secondary characters are relatable, and although the story is told in the third-person narrative, the author gives powerful insights from his characters that are nothing less than profound. This is done both through the plot and especially the characters’ interactions. I had to smile when Father Olvera showed up at the airport and chuckled at the bits of humor that were sprinkled throughout the story. I also felt despair. A tender child feels rejection from his mother. The burden of remorse lingers throughout a lifetime.

There is nothing I disliked about the story itself. There were times when the pacing seemed a bit uneven. For example, nothing was written about Chuy’s experiences in the Marine Corps. Other scenes were drawn out, presumably for emphasis, but they were not the ones I had lingering thoughts about. Of course, this is personal preference and was not a big deal. It should be noted that there are many errors in editing, particularly with punctuation in the dialogue. This made the narrative a bit confusing at times. Because of this, I give the story 3 out of 4 stars. Otherwise, the book was phenomenal.

I recommend this narrative to readers who enjoy stories about friendship, those who like inspirational stories about hardships, and those who are motivated by stories with faith-based themes. Although there is a religious component to the story, it can be enjoyed by all readers who do not mind moderate profanity. I believe teachers and others who work with youth will also benefit from the book, as it provides detailed accounts of the insights of young people and gives their unique perspectives.

Bound By Honor
View: on Bookshelves
Okorji98
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-okorji98.html
Latest Review: The Reason Under fire by Abdulmouti Souwed

Post by Okorji98 »

There are several underlying themes in this book, and it is not a light read by any means. Great review.
Amy Luman
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: 2084
Bookshelf Size: 1015
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amy-luman.html
Latest Review: Zona II by Fred G. Baker
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Amy Luman »

I am sorry that the errors caused you to be forced to rate this book lower. Hopefully, the author will do something constructive with the comments. It’s very hard to overcome a label you’ve been given as a child. I hope Chuy can do it.
FunkyFlowerLady
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Terms of Service
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 102
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-funkyflowerlady.html
Latest Review: Stage Fright by John Gore

Post by FunkyFlowerLady »

It seems like this book deals with some very heavy topics and I'm glad the author has dealt with them carefully. I wish the editing was as good as the plot though. Amazing review.

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”