Review of Bear Woman Rising

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Bertha Jackson
Bookshelves Moderator
Favorite Book: Launchpad Republic: America's Entrepreneurial Edge and Why It Matters
Currently Reading: Life at the Precipice
Bookshelf Size: 755
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bertha-jackson.html
Latest Review: Embrace Your Age by JAMES B. FLAHERTY ... An octogenarian with a bright future.

Review of Bear Woman Rising

Post by Bertha Jackson »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Bear Woman Rising" by Dorothy Staley.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Have you ever met someone you have an instant connection with that makes you friends for life? After spending six years working at the Arctic Research Camp's laboratory, Jesse Bookman travels to Washington, DC, to start a new job. Traveling through the Yukon Territory, Jesse stops at Whitey's Roadhouse and finds more than she was looking for. Kara Björnson, her husband, Danny, and their two-year-old daughter, Kalina, live in one of Whitey's cabins each summer. All summer long, they gather supplies and prepare to travel to their cabin, which is 40 miles away. There is an abandoned gold mine ten miles past their cabin where Danny has staked a claim. What makes these two women connect? What could a single woman and a married woman with a small child have in common? Read Bear Woman Rising: Two Women One Journey by Dorothy Staley to get the answers to these questions.

Dorothy Staley has done a fantastic job with character development by explaining each character's background and lifestyle. I could easily visualize the Eskimos walking across the snow-packed ground or Jesse wiping road dust from her face. Dorothy Staley made nice transitions between present events and memories between Kara and Jesse's stories. Friendships were evident regardless if the characters were folding laundry together, drinking coffee, or going for a walk. The author's use of poetry and song lyrics to show the characters' emotions throughout the book is commendable. I became emotional while reading this book because I sensed the characters' fear when a moose ran in front of their vehicle, or someone got lost during a blizzard. Not only that, I had to laugh when a character's priority was beer before business. I enjoy books that do not tell me how to feel but make me feel the emotion.

With its fast pace, I did not find anything to dislike while reading this action-packed book. A professional editor has edited the book and missed only a few minor errors. These errors did not detract from my reading enjoyment.

I am thrilled to give this fantastic book 4 out of 4 stars. Learning about the Yukon Territory and the Klondike Gold Rush was interesting. I have no reason to give this book a lower rating.

I recommend this book to mature readers who enjoy inspirational books involving love, friendship, scientific research, and folklore that are hard to put down and require you to have a box of tissues close by. Sensitive readers may want to avoid this book if a few prayers, descriptive sexual content, and non-borderline profanity are offensive to them.

Bear Woman Rising
View: on Bookshelves
Bertha R. Jackson :D
Book Reviewer at OnlineBookClub.org
Amy Luman
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: 2084
Bookshelf Size: 1015
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amy-luman.html
Latest Review: Zona II by Fred G. Baker
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Amy Luman »

This book really speaks to me. My best friend has a school-age child and I haven’t had one for several years, yet we have lots to discuss. I am also very appreciative of the description of characters and events.
Jennifer Coxon
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: Cancer, Faith & Butterflies
Bookshelf Size: 65
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jennifer-coxon.html
Latest Review: Love Letters to the Virgin Mary by David Richards

Post by Jennifer Coxon »

This sounds like a really appealing book. I too enjoy a book that makes me feel rather than tells me what to feel, it is a skill.
Okorji98
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-okorji98.html
Latest Review: The Reason Under fire by Abdulmouti Souwed

Post by Okorji98 »

Dorothy Staley has done a fantastic job with character development by explaining each character's background and lifestyle. Great review.

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”