Review of Tea Break Poems

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Oyedeji Okikioluwa
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 964
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-orizon.html
Latest Review: Proverbs 4:7 by Gaidi

Review of Tea Break Poems

Post by Oyedeji Okikioluwa »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Tea Break Poems" by Jennifer Proxenos.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Tea Break Poems by Jenny Proxenos is a short collection of poems that touches on different aspects of life's situations with diverse stories and unique encounters.

This book contains a compilation of forty-two poems, each headed by a title acting as a bellwether for its content. The poems range across a litany of fascinating, hilarious, and controversial topics. It's unclear if first-person narrated encounters are fictitious or the author's, but they ring personal and genuine. Among the diverse issues on societal ills covered were climate change, overpopulation, the importance of covid-19 vaccination, pollution, bushfire, poaching, etc. The author was very vocal about these issues and cleverly played with words to give a rhythmic effect but without reducing the seriousness of the situation. She added several fantastical poems and didn't hold off in swirling romantically-induced poems about passionate love. The compilation is unique as it doesn't just answer to a particular target audience but is all-inclusive and engaging in diverse content.

Jenny Proxenos is definitely without contention when penning emotions and preening situations into rhythmic flows. Her style is unmatched, and her articulation is clearly on point. Her delivery was simple and kept readers highly engaged without ambiguous verbiage or abstract sentences. Her words were resonating and enlightening beyond the light-hearted rhythmic effect she gave to them. I resonated with quite a lot but found the following quote most thought-provoking. It says, 'We will all get older and age, and are all on the same page, for we will all one day reach this stage, when we are eighty or eighty- five, and think we are thirteen and a naughty teen.'

I love how the author euphemized grave situations, played with words, and still drew the critical importance and weight of the issue discussed. The titles heading each poem were a very clever gesture, and I appreciate the author for that. It not only gave an insight into the poem's content but also acted as a guide in keeping track of each poem read by the reader. Being a huge fan of poetry, I am fired up and excited when I find poetry written in simple vocabulary, with a knack for relatability. This, to me, is an excellent definition of a good leisure read, and this book surpasses all standards. I also love the variety of topics covered in this book. It was hard to pick a favorite poem from the collection, but I loved 'Life's Second Love: For My Bride' a little more than the rest.

There is nothing I dislike about this book. It contains only one punctuation error and fires down in a smooth rhythmic flow all through. Therefore, I rate Tea Break Poems 4 out of 4 stars.

I recommend this book to poetry lovers with an eclectic taste. This book offers variety and a pleasurable leisure read.

Tea Break Poems
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Latest Review: Proverbs 4:7 by Gaidi
Faith Chumba 1
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 5
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-faith-chumba-1.html
Latest Review: Reconfigurement by E. Alan Fleischauer

Post by Faith Chumba 1 »

I love the writting.
Amy Luman
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Time Before Time
Bookshelf Size: 1015
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amy-luman.html
Latest Review: All the Targets by Noah Bond
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Amy Luman »

I am not a fan of poetry, but I am a fan of people expressing themselves using the written word in a way that is comfortable for them. I’m also glad that there is something that everyone enjoys reading.
Chiwelite Obioma Mgbeoji
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 77
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chiwelite-obioma-mgbeoji.html
Latest Review: Choices by Ogonna Juliet Nnamani

Post by Chiwelite Obioma Mgbeoji »

The book appears to be well written. It also seems to be something lovers of poetry would enjoy. I read poetry once in a while, but I am not a massive fan of it. I will check it out.
Sushan Ekanayake
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading: My Wind Therapy
Bookshelf Size: 407
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sushan-ekanayake.html
Latest Review: My Wind Therapy: Motorcycling Through A History of Child Abuse And Domestic Violence by Queen Five Star
Reading Device: B0794JC2K5

Post by Sushan Ekanayake »

The author's style is unmatched, and her articulation is on point. The poems cover diverse topics from societal ills to passionate love, all written in relatable language. Congratulations on being BOTD.
AnInternationalMountainMan
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aninternationalmountainman.html
Latest Review: Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature, second edition by Chet Shupe

Post by AnInternationalMountainMan »

Personally I am a fan of poetry. However, I must say that this is not my "Cup of Tea" (pun intended). I am more akin to older works of poetry and I therefore prefer them to this.
Hubre De Klerk
In It Together VIP
Favorite Author: Jennifer L. Armentrout
Currently Reading: Forged in Death
Bookshelf Size: 476
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hubre-de-klerk.html
Latest Review: Solaris Seethes (Solaris Saga book 1) by Janet McNulty
Reading Device: B075XP6ZZ4
fav_author_id: 3720

Post by Hubre De Klerk »

I have never been a huge poetry reader, but have definitely learned a lot of diversity through OBC. I love straight-forward poems and poems that include a large range of topics which seems like this book might hold! It is definitely added to my shelved to read. Well done on @BOTD!
Tara D Morgan
In It Together VIP
Favorite Book: The colour purple
Currently Reading: Angel of Liverpool
Bookshelf Size: 202
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tara-d-morgan.html
Latest Review: Good Evening, Sir George by Donald Yule
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Tara D Morgan »

I liked that this book of poems covers all sorts of genres. I am pleased to see it covers some of the weightier subjects like climate change and Covid. Thank you for the great review!
Queenter Omollo
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Queenter Omollo »

The book is interesting and fun to read especially to the poetry lovers.i liked it
María Andrea Fernández Sepúlveda
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Kristin Hannah
Favorite Book: The Nightingale
Currently Reading: Killing Shore
Bookshelf Size: 2389
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mar-a-andrea-fern-ndez-sep-lveda.html
Latest Review: You Say Goodbye by Keith Steinbaum
fav_author_id: 5604

Post by María Andrea Fernández Sepúlveda »

I understand the importance of the topics mentioned but I find them too distressing for a leisurely read. I do love it when authors play with titles, and it's great that the vocabulary is accessible.
Good review!
Bertha Jackson
Bookshelves Moderator
Favorite Book: In It Together
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 743
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bertha-jackson.html
Latest Review: All You'll Never Be (Kindle Edition) by E. L. Neve

Post by Bertha Jackson »

I seldom read poetry, but when I do, I prefer flowery and romantic themes, not those of darkness. Thank you for your review.
Bertha R. Jackson :D
Book Reviewer at OnlineBookClub.org
tienlen152
Currently Reading: The Promise of Whiteness: Its Past and Its Future
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tienlen152.html
Latest Review: Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless by Mitzi Perdue

Post by tienlen152 »

the author's ability to touch on diverse aspects of life and societal issues through her unique encounters and stories. I commend the author's style of writing and her ability to use simple vocabulary while still being relatable and engaging. The use of titles for each poem is seen as a clever gesture that guides the reader through the collection. I also appreciate the author's ability to euphemize grave situations, and to draw the critical importance and weight of the issues discussed. Overall, the passage suggests that Tea Break Poems is an excellent leisure read for poetry enthusiasts, offering a variety of topics with relatable language and an engaging style.
ToniaSteve Gajdosik
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tonia-gajdosik.html
Latest Review: Devil Among Us by Jack Winnick

Post by ToniaSteve Gajdosik »

Thank you for this review. I am not a fan of poetry, but your favorite line quoted from the book has intrigued me and I may check it out.
tienlen152
Currently Reading: The Promise of Whiteness: Its Past and Its Future
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tienlen152.html
Latest Review: Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless by Mitzi Perdue

Post by tienlen152 »

I am praising the author's ability to touch on diverse aspects of life and societal issues through her unique encounters and stories, and commending her style of writing as simple yet engaging. The use of titles for each poem is seen as a clever gesture that guides the reader through the collection, and the book is recommended as an excellent leisure read for poetry enthusiasts.
Margi zuu202
Favorite Author: Jack Winnick
Favorite Book: Living in Color
Currently Reading: Water Bound (Sisters of the Heart, #1)
Bookshelf Size: 80147
fav_author_id: 77547
2024 Reading Goal: 1000
2024 Goal Completion: 772%

Post by Margi zuu202 »

book of the day BOTD is other fiction blended with list of poetry, it has long , short , best ,famous poetry -the author was so vocal on societal, health and the ups and downs of covid -19; she added swirled of romance to her collections of poetry , for poetry lovers this is your book i will recommend it

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”