Review of RotaryPug

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Paully_
Currently Reading: 30th Century: Escape (First Edition)
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-paully.html
Latest Review: Red Endures the Test of Time by Thomas Fullmer

Review of RotaryPug

Post by Paully_ »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "RotaryPug" by Michael Honig.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

RotaryPug by Michael J. Honig is a thrilling and stimulating book that takes us to a terrifying world where souls await their final judgment.

John Castlemaine woke up and realized he was trapped in an unknown place covered in fog. It is said to be the in-between realm called "purgatory." In this place, he meets other souls, such as the goblin jester, a Viking who serves as a bartender, Jormundgand, and others. While he awaits his trial, he learns and reflects on the use of life. He also comes across plenty of other souls and learns what brought them to this place, neither Heaven nor Hell. He hears of important persons, such as Julius Caesar, who have been sent to purgatory and that people with high authority are seen and treated as normal. As John awaits judgment day, one might ask, what led John to experience this afterlife journey? Would he finally end up in Heaven or Hell? This stimulating novel provides answers to these questions.

RotaryPug is a crafted narrative focused on John Castlemaine's life. This gripping narrative is mixed with fantasy and reflections, producing a very satisfying story when put together. Fictional characters played prominent roles in the beauty of the book. Characters like the "goblin jester" looked horrifying to read. He appeared to be a trickster and also had a sense of humor. He was the first to welcome John into purgatory, but as time passed, he was seen as evil.

How the book is written could stimulate a reader's mind and imagination. I know most people must have imagined what Heaven and Hell look like. Despite being creepy, I found it very intriguing, especially in John's journey. The adventures in this book, commencing from his life in this world to being taken to another realm for his deeds, are exciting. Overall, it is a fascinating book with exquisite writing and a pinch of humor.

The book undeniably has countless loveable features, but some include the book's distinctive use of imagery and narrative structure. The fact that John was in purgatory made him regret some of his decisions in life. But I wouldn't reveal this decision for the sake of spoilers. John is a personality used to bolster a point for many of us living. He represented each one of us. And the book seems to point to the reality of Heaven and Hell.

Furthermore, the characters added substance to this tale and resonated with the creation of the plot. Lastly, the questions for pondering were also what I loved, as they made me rethink my life.

As a reader of mystery books, this thrilling book met all my expectations. From stimulating stories to fascinating characters, all proved to be very creative and original. I found nothing wrong or negative with the book.

I would rate this book 4 out of 4 stars, as it was professionally edited and would make readers carefully contemplate each action they are about to take, supposing it might endanger their lives. I would recommend this book to those who have had religious contemplation about the subject of purgatory and the afterlife.

RotaryPug
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Prisallen
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 233
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prisallen.html
Latest Review: Nirvatra by April Thomas

Post by Prisallen »

This certainly sounds like a fascinating plot that could be very scary. I wonder where John ended up going. I guess I will have to read the book to find out. Thanks for an excellent review!

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”