Review of Raising Father

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Bertha Jackson
Bookshelves Moderator
Favorite Book: Launchpad Republic: America's Entrepreneurial Edge and Why It Matters
Currently Reading: Life at the Precipice
Bookshelf Size: 755
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bertha-jackson.html
Latest Review: Embrace Your Age by JAMES B. FLAHERTY ... An octogenarian with a bright future.

Review of Raising Father

Post by Bertha Jackson »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Raising Father" by M. Lee Fox.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Wealthy 75-year-old Henry Stanford Gilles was not ready to die; he still had a lot of things he wanted to accomplish. Amanda Rose Gilles had always lived at Windrose Way, the family estate in Greenwich, and had been caring for her father, Henry, since he had become ill. Amanda had never been able to please her father, desperately wanted his approval, and had developed a fear of the outside world. Her identical twin sister, Gillian, had escaped their abusive and controlling father 15 years ago and had never looked back. Unknown to the twins, Henry planned to give himself a second chance at life. They learn about his plan through a video message when his will was read. The twins will share a $2,000,000,000 inheritance if they agree to Henry's last wishes. What was Henry's plan to allow himself a second chance at life? Was this plan successful? What did the twins have to do to earn their inheritance? Read Raising Father by M. Lee Fox to learn more about this gripping tale of a father who had no regard for his twin daughters' happiness.

M. Lee Fox did a fantastic job with the character development in this book. Henry's abusive and controlling nature toward everyone around him is prominent throughout the book. I could feel Amanda and Gillian's fear of Henry and their moral dilemma in accepting his final wishes. Even after his death, Henry's controlling psychological impact on the twins was easy to imagine. The author's description of the bee apiary and the bees' habits were interesting to read—especially the health benefits of consuming honey and apple cider vinegar. The perfect ending of the book was a pleasant surprise with an unexpected event. Throughout this book, I kept asking myself what I would be willing to do to inherit $2,000,000,000 or have a second chance at life.

This intriguing novel has only one negative aspect. A professional editor has not entirely edited the PDF version I read. There are a couple of editorial marks and a plethora of errors throughout the book.

Due to the lack of professional editing, I have no choice but to give this fascinating book 3 out of 4 stars. I did not rate it lower because I enjoyed reading the book despite the mistakes.

I recommend this book to mature readers who enjoy books that contain science projects that many may consider amoral. Younger and more sensitive readers need to know that this book includes non-borderline profanity. Christian readers are cautioned that the content of this book may go against their religious beliefs. Having said this, I feel that this book is still appropriate for all religious and non-religious groups because scientists come from all walks of life.

Raising Father
View: on Bookshelves
Bertha R. Jackson :D
Book Reviewer at OnlineBookClub.org
Ivan Mukaaga
Favorite Book: End of the Last Great Kingdom
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ivan-mukaaga.html
Latest Review: Reconfigurement by E. Alan Fleischauer

Post by Ivan Mukaaga »

$2,000,000,000! That’s something. Everyone would be willing to do anything to receive that. My only question is; Did the twins do the needful and received the money? It seems the book has the answer. Looking forward to reading this. Thanks for your intriguing review.
Mr Excellence
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mr-excellence.html
Latest Review: Four Critical Days by Edward Vogler

Post by Mr Excellence »

The worst thing for a child to face is having an abusive father (parent). It can cause a lot of emotional damage to the children.
Seeing Henry's plan to change aroused my interest in this book. I also want to know what Henry's plan was all about. Hence, I'll read this book.
Mr Excellence
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mr-excellence.html
Latest Review: Four Critical Days by Edward Vogler

Post by Mr Excellence »

Thanks for this engaging and great review Bertha Jackson. I enjoyed reading it and will definitely add this book to my shelf.
Israel10
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-israel10.html
Latest Review: Creating Wellbeing and Building Resilience in the Veterinary Profession by Sonja A. Olson, DVM

Post by Israel10 »

M. Lee Fox did a fantastic job with the character development in this book. Henry's abusive and controlling nature toward everyone around him is prominent throughout the book. Great review.
Chiwendu Ikechukwu
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 71
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chiwendu-ikechukwu.html
Latest Review: E M P Honeymoon by Dorothy May Mercer

Post by Chiwendu Ikechukwu »

It is interesting to know that captivating reviews like this are gotten in this site. This book seems interesting. Adding it to my book shelf ASAP.
Eze Michael
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eze-michael.html
Latest Review: The Seventh Spark - Knights of the Trinity by J.B. Lion

Post by Eze Michael »

The plot of this book is quite intriguing as it involves having a second chance at life. The author did a good job in the character development of this book. Thank for your honest review.
Prisallen
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 233
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prisallen.html
Latest Review: Nirvatra by April Thomas

Post by Prisallen »

It sounds like Mr. Giles was not a very good father. I hope if he gets a second chance, he turns out differently. I think I would like reading this fascinating tale. Thanks for an excellent review!
Brown_Sucre
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-brown-sucre.html
Latest Review: When Life Doesn't Turn Out The Way We Hoped It Would? Volume 2 by Tom Wick

Post by Brown_Sucre »

For such an intriguing book, it's sad that its editing was poor. Your review was honesty and. Insightful Bertha.
Shadreck Rogers
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shadreck-rogers.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Shadreck Rogers »

I love that the character development in the book is excellent.

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”