Review of Once in a Live

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Bertha Jackson
Bookshelves Moderator
Favorite Book: Launchpad Republic: America's Entrepreneurial Edge and Why It Matters
Currently Reading: Life at the Precipice
Bookshelf Size: 755
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bertha-jackson.html
Latest Review: Embrace Your Age by JAMES B. FLAHERTY ... An octogenarian with a bright future.

Review of Once in a Live

Post by Bertha Jackson »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Once in a Live" by Sylva Kanderal.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Once in a Life by Sylva Kanderal is a fictional story about two young men raised under different circumstances. Matthew is the beloved son of a single mother named Joye, who has never met his father, Aaron. Matthew knows who his father is and has seen pictures of him on Facebook. Aaron is a musician who does not believe in working or commitments, and women are a means of support. Matthew inherited his musical abilities from his father. Ramon has never known a parent's love and has grown up in a children's home and prison. Due to his bad behavior, Ramon spends his formative years in solitary confinement, where he spends his time exercising and singing. Will Matthew be united with Aaron and have a musical career? Will Ramon ever have a life outside of prison? You will need to read this fascinating book to get the answers to these questions.

Sylva Kanderal has done an excellent job with character development in this book. I could feel the emotions of love, despair, depression, and fear. She demonstrates how bullying and the actions of parents affect children. Emotional support, trust, and social skills are essential to a healthy lifestyle. A parent's harshness, beatings, and punishments lead a child to violence. The author has creatively shown whether a child can overcome a violent childhood or not. I cannot say too much here without giving away a spoiler, but the author shows the importance of having dreams and goals in life. She also shows how negative energies take away optimism and the will to live. My favorite quote in this book is, "Laughter is a beautiful thing, just makes you feel good." Have you ever noticed that when you are angry or feeling down, if you laugh, you feel better? The plot flows smoothly because each chapter title includes the year it takes place.

This book has only one negative aspect. A professional editor has not edited it. The book has multiple errors, including missing words, extra words, wrong words, and other grammatical and typographical errors.

The only reason I am giving this enjoyable book 3 out of 4 stars is the lack of professional editing. No reason would justify giving this book a lower rating because the number of mistakes did not influence my enjoyment of reading this book.

I recommend this book to mature readers who enjoy fictional stories about child abuse, abuse within the penal system, and bullying. I would advise that readers over the age of 16 read this book because of the violence and sexual content within its pages.

Once in a Live
View: on Bookshelves
Bertha R. Jackson :D
Book Reviewer at OnlineBookClub.org
Shelby Ayres
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 50
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shelby-ayres.html
Latest Review: The Wrong Side of the Room by Norman Mathews

Post by Shelby Ayres »

I really enjoyed the quote you wrote from the book. The book lacking professional editing is slightly off-putting. I look forward to adding this book to my to-be-read pile. Great review!
Luchris Curtis
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-luchris-curtis.html
Latest Review: When Life Doesn't Turn Out the Way We Hoped It Would? Volume 1 by Tom Wick

Post by Luchris Curtis »

The book revolves around the ordeals of two men. There are certain things that must be done for them to maintain stability. I'd love to know how the story ended. Thanks for your honest review.

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”