Review of Cross Intents

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Sou Hi
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 154
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sou-hi.html
Latest Review: Project Tau by Jude Austin

Review of Cross Intents

Post by Sou Hi »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Cross Intents" by Scott Wells.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Birth (Cross Intents Book 1) is a religious fiction written by S.R. Wells. It starts with three angelic soldiers. Elric, Timrok, and Jenli were tasked with defending their King, but they were fighting a losing battle. The overwhelming number of enemies made it hard to fulfill their duty. In the end, some of their comrades were taken, and their King fell into the hands of Satan. Normally, the right decision would be for them to find a way to liberate Him. However, one of Elric's lieutenants expressed doubts about this ordeal. What if He actually intended to die? If they came to rescue Him, would that mean they were going against His will? How could they know which one was His real wish? As the leader, what should Elric do in this situation? What could he do with just a handful of angels?

Despite this being a religious novel, I love the fact that the story is not preachy at all. The author artistically weaves some biblical occurrences into his scenarios. This first part focuses on the forerunner of Jesus, His mortal mother, His birthplace, and His coming as a human. Along with these events, the wicked schemes of Satan's demons and the angels' devotions are also depicted clearly through their daily interactions with humanity.

Besides, the emotions of the characters are very realistic. For example, when Mary reveals her pregnancy to her family and her betrothed, their reactions are very much like those of real-life people. Being pregnant without sexual intercourse is extremely hard to believe, and I can't blame them for their responses. Even though we have already known the outcome of this event from the Bible, we can't be sure if these fictional characters would do the same thing. It makes the story more interesting and suspenseful.

I have almost nothing negative to say about this copy. I found around ten grammatical errors, but the editing gradually became better as the story progressed. Still, if you are not a Christian, you will need some certain knowledge to fully understand the plot.

Since the mentioned shortcomings are not enough to deduct a star, I will happily rate this volume 4 out of 4 stars. As I stated, the tale is most suitable for Christians. Nonetheless, if you are interested in angels and demons, this is a good choice for those who want a supernatural novel with an action-packed plot. There are no erotic scenes or vulgar words, but there is an unsuccessful sexual assault.

Cross Intents
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Abdulrahman Alidriga
Favorite Book: Apollo's Raven
Currently Reading: The Raven Conspiracy
Bookshelf Size: 69

Post by Abdulrahman Alidriga »

The emotions of the characters are very realistic. Especially when Mary reveals her pregnancy to her family.
LORDSHIP ALEX
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lordship-alex.html
Latest Review: A Dream For Peace by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah

Post by LORDSHIP ALEX »

With just a few words from the book in your review, I've already begun to resonate with the angelic soldiers. I'd like to follow the story and see how the war between these immortal beings plays out. I'm looking forward to reading this book.
Lawrence+2
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 74
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lawrence-2.html
Latest Review: The Ranting of an Uneducated Reactionary by Oscar J. Phillips

Post by Lawrence+2 »

This would be fun to read. Don't really like functions but the storyline and the review is captivating.
Hyacinth Bella
Currently Reading: Pride and Prejudice
Bookshelf Size: 98
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hyacinth-bella.html
Latest Review: The Magician's Secret by Charles Townsend

Post by Hyacinth Bella »

Seeing another take on religion, I think I would like this one. The book sounds fresh and creative. Thank you for the lovely review!
Fearnia Laurel
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fearnia-laurel.html
Latest Review: Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless by Mitzi Perdue

Post by Fearnia Laurel »

This sounds like an interesting take on the Christian tale. I wonder how the author would incorporate his own fictional ideas into the story line. Thank you for the review.
Oluwasogo Familusi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-oluwasogo-familusi.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by Oluwasogo Familusi »

Sounds interesting. A blend of fiction and Biblical history. I think I'd like to know Elric's decision.
Madu Abigail
Currently Reading: The Unseelie Crown
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-madu-abigail.html
Latest Review: Bluewater Walkabout by Tina Dreffin

Post by Madu Abigail »

From my experience, I can tell that this book is going to be very interesting. I would definitely get this book in my shelf. Thanks for this wonderful review.
Amy Luman
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Time Before Time
Bookshelf Size: 1015
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amy-luman.html
Latest Review: All the Targets by Noah Bond
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Amy Luman »

I really like hearing another person’s view of a story I’ve heard hundreds of times. As for Mary’s family, what they feel is real. We have the benefit of hindsight, they did not. I can relate to the angel soldiers, it is always hard to know which road to take.
Oyedeji Funmilayo
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 105
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-oyedeji-funmilayo.html
Latest Review: Man Mission by Eytan Uliel

Post by Oyedeji Funmilayo »

The story sounds wonderful. I can imagine the confused states of the soldiers and the events that followed if the king got out alive. I enjoyed reading your review and I look forward to reading the book. Welldone!!!
OTrain Disene
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Flight Quack
Bookshelf Size: 102
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-otrain-disene.html
Latest Review: Mysteries by Graham Wilson

Post by OTrain Disene »

The whole premise of this book is original and good. The Biblical aspect seem to be fresh and authentic. Your review was awesome.
Shelby Ayres
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 50
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shelby-ayres.html
Latest Review: The Wrong Side of the Room by Norman Mathews

Post by Shelby Ayres »

The cover and the title do not give religious fiction. I was surprised when I found that out. I really enjoy it when authors are able to make the emotions of the characters palpable.

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”