Review of The Inimical

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Francis Omotayo Aderogbin
Currently Reading: The Great Migration
Bookshelf Size: 66
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-francis-omotayo-aderogbin.html
Latest Review: Escape from Tuoyawon by R. Murrey Haist

Review of The Inimical

Post by Francis Omotayo Aderogbin »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Inimical" by JLR-Writer.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The war between light and darkness (good and evil) has existed since the beginning of time. The Inimical, which portrays this phenomenon, is a Christian horror novel by JLR-Writer.

Eli Smith is a former member of the Dim Light Organisation, an occultic group that pledges its allegiance to Satan. He becomes a pastor and continues to spread the gospel after denouncing his membership. One day, Benny, the first son of the devil, comes to his home to murder his wife and daughter, then leaves him unconscious. He became a professional demon hunter years after this encounter. He does this for a living but charges no fee for it. Later, he is invited to a conference of Christian leaders to discuss how to combat the growing attack on the church, particularly on Catholic priests. Eli is invited to meet with the Pope for a professional consultation by the Vatican, which had been the primary target of this attack. What information was revealed to Eli? How do Eli and other preachers deal with these attacks? To find out, pick up a copy of this book. It will blow your mind.

JLR-Writer is a professional writer. His theological background gives the book a lot of depth. The way he incorporated the role of Adrieh (an angel in the form of a man) into this novel depicts his vastness in theology. The storyline is superb. The book got me hooked right from the prologue till the end. From page to page, there are moments of suspense. The book is action-packed. The author's descriptive prowess brought every scene to life. I so much enjoyed my time with this book.

Eli is a character you will like right from his first conversation. He is humble and quite witty. His lighthearted talks intentionally serve to lower the tension all through the book. You will still chuckle even when he talks to demons. Despite the memory of his family's murder, I appreciated how he handled himself all through.

I have some reservations, though. I was a bit disappointed by the ending of the book. I wasn’t expecting it. The book must definitely have a sequel because of how it ended; if it does not, readers like me would be disappointed. Also, there was no indication of a change in scenes. I recommend a kind of demarcation to indicate a transition between scenes within a chapter. For example, when the scene transitions from Vatican City to Sea Forest and others like that, I had to use my familiarity with the characters and their locations to identify the change in scenes.

I was also expecting more information about Eli’s past. In my opinion, the lack of how he joined the Dim Light and got converted made his character less developed. I expected him to be more developed because he is the protagonist. As I mentioned earlier, the book is a Christian novel, and it contains some Bible references. The book revealed the greed of some preachers and iterated the importance of obedience. I recommend this book to Christians, individuals who like reading horror novels, and others who don’t mind reading Bible verses.

The book was professionally edited even though I found up to four errors which did not distract my reading. For the reasons I mentioned earlier, I will rate this book 3 out of 4 stars.

The Inimical
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
You are yet to be the best version of yourself. Keep refining.
Waliyat_24
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 55
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-waliyat-24.html
Latest Review: Bi-Polaroid by David Samuelson

Post by Waliyat_24 »

Wow! This is my first time coming across a Christian horror story. Thanks for a great review!
Nwaka Chukwuemeka
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nwaka-chukwuemeka.html
Latest Review: A Dream For Peace by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah

Post by Nwaka Chukwuemeka »

The storyline of the book is horror indeed, the book sounds informative and scary, I will read the book. Great review.
Emmanuel Okotie
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 108
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-emmanuel-okotie.html
Latest Review: VROOM! Barry, Kari and the Power Boost! by William G Wilberforce III

Post by Emmanuel Okotie »

A Christian horror novel? Wow!
This seems like an interesting read. I can only imagine the pain Eli must have been through after he lost his son. And I wonder how his experience in hunting demons would look like.
Nice review you've got here.
I now have an idea of what this book entails.
Reading_Jack
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-reading-jack.html
Latest Review: Wild World by Peter S. Rush

Post by Reading_Jack »

Excellent review. It explains the book well.
Thanks for this.
wmeki510
Currently Reading: How to Live a Life of Hope
Bookshelf Size: 179
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wmeki510.html
Latest Review: Reconfigurement by E. Alan Fleischauer

Post by wmeki510 »

Your review of this book is really insightful and engaging. I am curious to read the whole book, given the striking highlights on Eli's lifestyle and activities, his conversion to Christianity and subsequent pastoral service, and his last-minute task of demon hunting. The Inimical, no doubt, has religious, personal, and social implications.
WriteOn
Currently Reading: Wild World
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-writeon.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by WriteOn »

His theological background gives the book a lot of depth. The way he incorporated the role of Adrieh (an angel in the form of a man) into this novel depicts his vastness in theology.
Your review gives an impressive description of the plot, while your likes and dislikes were well considered. It's interesting to know that the author has in depth theological knowledge, but I was surprised to see it used in a Christian horror novel. I didn't know such novels existed. Thanks for such an insightful review Francis_Reads,
Oluwapelumi Rachael
Currently Reading: In It Together
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-oluwapelumi-rachael.html
Latest Review: JTs World by E. Alan Fleischauer

Post by Oluwapelumi Rachael »

I love books that promise a good thrill. I don't think I've ever come across a christian horror, I can't wait to read about the former occult member turned envangelist. Amazing review.
Gideon Olomofe
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gideon-olomofe.html
Latest Review: An autopsy with a smile by Snejana Danwell

Post by Gideon Olomofe »

I love reading this review. I'm stired to read this book. The role of Eli Smith in the book is fascinating and I love reading his life of coming from the dark world into being a pastor and also involving in the unimaginable. Well done on this review

Waliyat_24 wrote: 02 Jul 2022, 05:35 Wow! This is my first time coming across a Christian horror story. Thanks for a great review!
Being a Christian horror book motivated me to read this book and I wasn't disappointed. Thank you for your comments.

Dera Okeke wrote: 02 Jul 2022, 12:22 The storyline of the book is horror indeed, the book sounds informative and scary, I will read the book. Great review.
I agreed with you. The book has an exciting storyline. Thank you for your comments.

Ems100 wrote: 02 Jul 2022, 12:23 A Christian horror novel? Wow!
This seems like an interesting read. I can only imagine the pain Eli must have been through after he lost his son. And I wonder how his experience in hunting demons would look like.
Nice review you've got here.
I now have an idea of what this book entails.
Thank you for your kind words. I was curious to know what the Christian horror novel will entail. I wasn't disappointed at all.

Mrs D O wrote: 02 Jul 2022, 13:54
His theological background gives the book a lot of depth. The way he incorporated the role of Adrieh (an angel in the form of a man) into this novel depicts his vastness in theology.
Your review gives an impressive description of the plot, while your likes and dislikes were well considered. It's interesting to know that the author has in depth theological knowledge, but I was surprised to see it used in a Christian horror novel. I didn't know such novels existed. Thanks for such an insightful review Francis_Reads,
Thank you Mrs D O for your kind words.

Gwrites208 wrote: 02 Jul 2022, 14:15 I love reading this review. I'm stired to read this book. The role of Eli Smith in the book is fascinating and I love reading his life of coming from the dark world into being a pastor and also involving in the unimaginable. Well done on this review
Thank you for your comments.
Oyedeji Funmilayo
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 105
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-oyedeji-funmilayo.html
Latest Review: Man Mission by Eytan Uliel

Post by Oyedeji Funmilayo »

A christian horror book, interesting. I look forward to reading the book. Well-done with your review

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”