Review of Blood Pudding

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Lucy Vera
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 95
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lucy-v.html
Latest Review: Letter of Paul to the Americans by Nicholas F Mazza

Review of Blood Pudding

Post by Lucy Vera »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Blood Pudding" by Ivan Cox.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Blood Pudding is a great book written by Ivan Cox. It was intentionally divided into sixty chapters and written in four hundred and seven pages. It tells the story of the Malinowski family and exposes the untold secrets that lie in the family from the perspective of a little boy.

Ivan introduced the main character, who told the story of his family, as Tad. It consisted mainly of his parents, Jumbo and Eva, and his seven siblings, Max, Vera, Lucy, Ziggy, himself, Kaz, and Blizz. It was not an ideal family, but they had one common characteristic, which was the will to survive. They relocated at different points of their life, including from Poland to Ripple Brook Gardens to Rehoboth and lastly, Robert street. The main cause of their problems resides in Jumbo, their father.

Tad was saddled with the responsibility of taking care of his elder brother, Ziggy, who had mental challenges and a low IQ. Ivan highlighted the numerous perils that they faced after the death of their mother, Eva, but this did not deter them from struggling for a better life. The ceaseless perils were elaborately detailed in this book.

There are quite a good number of parts of the book that I must commend. The author’s temerity to pen down a story of this nature, highlighting the untold stories and behavior of kids and teens in the absence of guardians without mincing words, deserves some accolades. The simple sentences employed to convey the message made it very easy to read and understand. The relatable characters gave it an aura of originality. Eva’s role, in particular, could be seen in most mothers.

The choice of words used to describe some parts of the story, which would have ordinarily been seen as vulgar, is remarkable. I also got to enrich my knowledge of herbal medicines. This could be drawn from the fact that a clove of garlic could shrink and stop abnormal bleeding from a butthole. The book was exceptionally well edited. I found no errors while reading.

There are a few discouragements I got from the book. The page numbering was done in chapters and not collectively. I had to calculate the pages per chapter to decipher the total number of pages in the book. I did not particularly enjoy reading the relationship between Tad and Curly. It was quite thought-provoking for me, nonetheless very subjective.

I will rate the book 4 out of 4 stars. The negative aspects mentioned above are subjective and are not tangible reasons to deduct a star from my rating. I had a good time reading the book.

I will gladly recommend this book to parents and adults who are ready to start a family. Although the main character of the book is a child, I will not recommend this book to children, and if it must be read by them, it should be done under strict supervision.

Blood Pudding
View: on Bookshelves
José Cortez
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 124
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jos-cortez.html
Latest Review: Beyond the Golden Door (Audiobook Version) by Ali Master

Post by José Cortez »

A fantastic review for a seemingly amazing book. This book appeals to me because of the struggles of the family and their will to survive. I am certain moving to different places must have been adventurous and I wonder why their father was the cause of their constant moves.
Favour Amarachi Mgbeoji
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 66
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-favour-amarachi-mgbeoji.html
Latest Review: Operation November Blizzard by Stephen Snow (penname)

Post by Favour Amarachi Mgbeoji »

I guess I would have to skip this book because of the negative aspect you stated above. I like short and interesting books. But, your review of the book is wonderful, and I am sure people that are ready to start a family will find it interesting.
Kennedy NC
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 128
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kennedy-nc.html
Latest Review: Bluewater Walkabout by Tina Dreffin

Post by Kennedy NC »

From your review Blood Pudding seems like an amazing book to read. However, sixty chapters seem to be a whole lot to go through for me right now. I must commend you, though, you put together an exceptionally well written review.
Tony Official
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tony-official.html
Latest Review: America’s Loveless Age: Trumpism, FemPower, the End of Patriarchy by Noel Terry

Post by Tony Official »

This seems like an interesting book. Even the title of he book is intriguing. I would love to know all about the story and how the story ended. Thank you for this review.
Vivian Stones
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: The Maestro Monologue
Bookshelf Size: 94
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vivian-stones.html
Latest Review: The Silicon Divide by Danielle Nowell

Post by Vivian Stones »

What are these untold secrets that are exposed in this book? I want to learn about the family this book talks about. Also, the title is catchy and interesting. It makes me wonder how the story would end.
Darlings O
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 100
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-darlington-onuoha.html
Latest Review: Imperfect Lives Perfect Grace by Dr. E.M. Johnson

Post by Darlings O »

I like that I would not only enjoy reading this book, but I would also learn a lot about herbal medicines from it. Your summary of this book is intriguing. Thank you for this beautiful review.

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”