Review of Escape from the Czar

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
evraealtana
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The Signature of All Things
Bookshelf Size: 127
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-evraealtana.html
Latest Review: Never Teach A Pig to Sing. It is a waste of Time by Freida Atwood

Review of Escape from the Czar

Post by evraealtana »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Escape from the Czar" by Paula Bilyieu Velho.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

As the son of a Lithuanian serf at the close of the 19th century, young Povilas Glemza dreams of breaking away from serfdom and building a new life for himself by working in a Russian factory. His father seeks aid from a local lord, who paves the way for Povilas to study engineering in St. Petersburg, the first step toward self-sufficiency. But Povilas soon finds that factory life is not quite what he thought it would be, and it isn't long before he starts rethinking his plans. With the world on the cusp of the Russo-Japanese war, he will find himself on the front lines if he isn’t careful.

Escape from the Czar, written by Paula Bilyieu Velho, is a novella that depicts a partly fictional rendition of the author’s grandfather’s life, from his early youth to his mid-thirties. As a girl, the author never met her grandfather and knew very little about his life but always admired a portrait of him, which the family kept and displayed in their living room. Later in life, she discovered a sixty-year-old magazine featuring an interview with Glemza, whose name had at some point been changed to “Glamzo”. Once the author managed to translate the interview from its original Lithuanian, she discovered her grandfather’s life’s story, which then became the foundation for this book.

As a novella, the book is short, reaching only 89 pages. The writing is simple, with short sentences and approachable vocabulary. This style keeps the action flowing, and at no point did it feel like the story had stalled or reached a lull. I loved how the author managed to weave in relevant historical events to create a world that felt full and rooted in fact, despite having so little raw material from which to work. I enjoyed getting to know Povilas and found myself rooting for his success.

I was a little disappointed by the passive and superficial role of women in the book. All of the women were either depicted as pretty, timid brides-to-be or dutiful wives, who were sometimes argumentative but inevitably bent themselves to their husbands’ wishes. This attitude toward women is probably historically accurate, which is why I cannot deduct a star for it, although it is disappointing to read from a modern perspective.

There are a few veiled references to sex and one instance of somewhat graphic violence. Because of this content, I can’t recommend sharing this book with children. There are brief mentions of religion, but I don’t believe that a non-religious reader would object to them. There is absolutely no profane language. Although I did find a few spelling and grammar errors, the book as a whole feels polished and professional.

Escape from the Czar earns a score of 4 out of 4 for its uplifting story of a young man building a better life amid sociopolitical turmoil. It would most appeal to adult and young adult fans of historical fiction looking for a quick read.

Escape from the Czar
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Peace10
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 52
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-peace10.html
Latest Review: Jurisdiction Denied by Jack Gold and Marc Debbaudt

Post by Peace10 »

The author’s concise words are really appreciated. Nice review!
bestfriendswithbooks
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: The Name of the Wind
Bookshelf Size: 236
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bestfriendswithbooks.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker

Post by bestfriendswithbooks »

I appreciate this review for its honesty about the gender biased portrayal of women which can definitely make a reader unhappy and uncomfortable. I like the theme of historical fiction novels/novellas and would enlist this one as one of my future reads! Thank you for posting this review.
Kyrian007
Currently Reading: Hard Journey of the Heart: Jesse's Story
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kyrian007.html
Latest Review: A Dream For Peace by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah

Post by Kyrian007 »

Reading your review has made it clear that Escape from the czar by Paula Bilyieu Velho is going to be worth my time and it seems to be an interesting novella. I love forward to reading it thanks for the review.
Jen Nghishitende
Currently Reading: Exploring Wine Regions – Bordeaux France
Bookshelf Size: 65
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jen-nghishitende.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by Jen Nghishitende »

Thank you for pointing out the passive and superficial role of the women in the book, this is a deal-breaker for me. Fantastic review, however!
Azubike Richard
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-azubike-richard.html
Latest Review: Love and Resistance by Marie J. Mond

Post by Azubike Richard »

Lovers of historical fiction would love this book. I would love to read it soon. Your review is very helpful
Amy Luman
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: 2084
Bookshelf Size: 1015
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amy-luman.html
Latest Review: Zona II by Fred G. Baker
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Amy Luman »

I tend to avoid novellas and short stories. In my experience they aren’t really long enough to have good characters or to keep me interest. Maybe this one will be different.

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”