Review of Simple Pleasures

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
MsH2k
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Crushing
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 366
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-msh2k.html
Latest Review: Lilleah by eelonqa K harris

Review of Simple Pleasures

Post by MsH2k »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Simple Pleasures" by Shirley L. Porter.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

In Simple Pleasures, author Shirley Porter introduces readers to the fun and mischief of five rising fourth graders. The stories are set in a small town (Johnson City, Tennessee) in 1944, just as the school bell rings to signal the beginning of summer vacation. This aptly titled 135-page read was an enjoyable escape to a simpler time, when children were sent out of the house for the day to play with their friends, and their only instructions from their parents (usually their mama) were to be good and come home in time for supper.

Initially, I thought this was a collection for children, as each entry featured a day in the lives of the young classmates. The book included four full-page black-and-white illustrations interspersed throughout the stories, which added a pause and visual representation of the characters and their homes. As I continued reading, however, I noticed I was looking forward with joyful anticipation to the friends’ next adventure and interactions with the grown-ups in town. Told from an omniscient third-person point of view, the stories humorously revealed what the youngsters were thinking versus what they said in a time when children were to be “seen and not heard.” I also enjoyed the mouth-watering descriptions of the meals prepared and the desserts that were always ready for indulgence.

The friends were a diverse group. The twins, Shirley and Sandy, were daughters of the only Black doctor in the area. Always full of questions, they were an interesting mix of privilege and affability. The rest of the group comprised Mary Jo, their dramatic and undisputed leader; B.J., a smart young man who loved bugs and knew when to keep his mouth shut to avoid a confrontation; and Billy Ray, who was fascinated with everything involving airplanes. I appreciated the subtle nod to the different socioeconomic statuses of the group. The playmates noticed how Billy Ray’s house was in disrepair and wondered why his father had never fixed it. Although the twins had a maid, they were as excited as the other kids when their friends stopped by to see if they could come out and play. Mary Jo’s father died in a work accident before she was born, and her mother bought their house with the insurance settlement. B.J. had an entire science lab in his house. I loved how the kids had such fun when they were together and did not think about their differences. The boys and girls were already demonstrating the roles expected of their respective sexes, and their bickering was in good jest.

The only negative aspect of this read was the number of grammatical errors: there were more than ten errors in the first twenty pages. While this was not ideal, it was at least freeing to reach the threshold early and enjoy the rest of the book without needing to stop to highlight errors. I highly recommend professional editing to correct the malapropisms, tense inconsistencies, and other grammatical errors throughout the read.

I rate Simple Pleasures 3 out of 4 stars. The grammatical errors were many, but the tales were so engaging that the reduction of a second star was not warranted. Adults, particularly those who have experienced or heard about small-town living in the South during this time, would enjoy the characters’ summer escapades. This collection would also make a wonderful set of bedtime stories for youngsters interested in a time of simpler summer sabbaticals. The friends continue their midsummer merriment in a sequel to this book, which I look forward to reading.

Simple Pleasures
View: on Bookshelves
"Knowing what must be done does away with fear."
Rosa Parks
Elenimo Chembe
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elenimo-chembe.html
Latest Review: A Dream For Peace by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah

Post by Elenimo Chembe »

This sounds like a children's book. Not my cup of tea but I might try this one. Fantastic review!
Waliyat_24
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 55
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-waliyat-24.html
Latest Review: Bi-Polaroid by David Samuelson

Post by Waliyat_24 »

This is like a children’s book. I kind of like the way it is, takes one down the memory lane. Great review!
Peace10
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 52
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-peace10.html
Latest Review: Jurisdiction Denied by Jack Gold and Marc Debbaudt

Post by Peace10 »

I'll like to try this, it might be good according to your review.
MsH2k
Currently Reading:

Post by MsH2k »

Elenimo Chembe wrote: 02 Jun 2022, 07:12 This sounds like a children's book. Not my cup of tea but I might try this one. Fantastic review!
Yes, it could easily be a children's storybook. I had to double check the genre. Thank you for stopping by!
Rosa Parks
MsH2k
Currently Reading:

Post by MsH2k »

Waliyat_24 wrote: 02 Jun 2022, 13:13 This is like a children’s book. I kind of like the way it is, takes one down the memory lane. Great review!
Yes, it definitely has the feel of a children's storybook. I enjoyed the trip to a simpler time.
Thank you for your visit and your comment.
Rosa Parks
MsH2k
Currently Reading:

Post by MsH2k »

Peace10 wrote: 02 Jun 2022, 15:01 I'll like to try this, it might be good according to your review.
If you like the simplicity and escape of a storybook, you will enjoy this read.
Thank you for stopping by! :peace:
Rosa Parks
Zwelihle_Myeni
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zwelihle-myeni.html
Latest Review: Timewise by Robert Leet

Post by Zwelihle_Myeni »

Though I'm not much of a fan of children's books, this review is so well written I wish I could read the book someday. Thanks for sharing your views with us.
Judy46
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-judy46.html
Latest Review: The First Time Father by Alfie Thomas

Post by Judy46 »

I would love to know more about the adventures the children had. I also enjoyed your review, you highlighted the positive and negative aspects of the book and I loved that.
Nwaka Chukwuemeka
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nwaka-chukwuemeka.html
Latest Review: A Dream For Peace by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah

Post by Nwaka Chukwuemeka »

I love adventure books alot, your review is captivating, I will read the book to games more ideas about the adventurous life. Great review.
MsH2k
Currently Reading:

Post by MsH2k »

Zwelihle_Myeni wrote: 04 Jun 2022, 08:57 Though I'm not much of a fan of children's books, this review is so well written I wish I could read the book someday. Thanks for sharing your views with us.
Although I enjoy reading children's books, I do believe this book is well suited for the reminiscing adult. Thank you for your kind comment.
Rosa Parks
MsH2k
Currently Reading:

Post by MsH2k »

Judy46 wrote: 05 Jun 2022, 04:21 I would love to know more about the adventures the children had. I also enjoyed your review, you highlighted the positive and negative aspects of the book and I loved that.
Thank you so much for your kind comment, Judy46. I hope you have the chance to read these simple and sweet tales.
Rosa Parks
MsH2k
Currently Reading:

Post by MsH2k »

Dera Okeke wrote: 05 Jun 2022, 04:37 I love adventure books alot, your review is captivating, I will read the book to games more ideas about the adventurous life. Great review.
I hope you enjoy the friends' fun adventures from a simpler time. Thank you for stopping by and leaving a comment.
Rosa Parks
honeybear_11001
Currently Reading: A Dream For Peace
Bookshelf Size: 190
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-honeybear-11001.html
Latest Review: Love Yourself & Lose Weight: The Success Story of Self Love by Katie Lips

Post by honeybear_11001 »

Seems like a delightful read. I especially love the summary of the book. This is definitely my preferred genre. Can't wait to read and review it. Thanks for the wonderful review.
MsH2k
Currently Reading:

Post by MsH2k »

honeybear_11001 wrote: 06 Jun 2022, 01:32 Seems like a delightful read. I especially love the summary of the book. This is definitely my preferred genre. Can't wait to read and review it. Thanks for the wonderful review.
When the author began by describing a small town in Tennessee, my curiosity was piqued because my father was from Tennessee. Then, when she actually revealed the name, my jaw dropped. My father often spoke of visiting his aunts in Johnson City. What a small world! 🌎 I hope you have the opportunity to read this lovely collection of adventures. Thank you for your visit and kind comment.
Rosa Parks

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”