Review of Jane's Dust

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Erin Dydek
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Shadowborn
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 328
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-erin-dydek.html
Latest Review: Northern Umbrage by Dennis Lorenz Ph.D.

Review of Jane's Dust

Post by Erin Dydek »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Jane's Dust" by Ronald E. Gordon, Ph.D..]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

"It was just a normal thing to do…It was never something any of us gave any thought to. And the idea that it could harm us in any way was the furthest thing from our minds."

Jane has used the white, unassuming talcum powder in her hygiene routine for years. The pleasant-smelling powder promised purity, soft skin, and dryness in sweaty areas, and a trusted household name backed that promise. But with every application, the asbestos fibers contaminating the product filled the aromatic air and infiltrated Jane's body. Dying from cancer, Jane makes a bold decision to bring her case to court and stand against the company to make them pay for their promise of a safe product. Jane's Dust follows the story of an everyday woman battling cancer, a court case against a major company, and the seemingly innocuous product at the source of all the strife.

While Jane's story is fictional, I appreciated how Ronald E. Gordon, Ph.D., and Joel Brokaw brought the detailed research to life. Dr. Gordon's medical expertise was evident in the explanations of the procedures used to identify the presence of asbestos fibers and other evidence explained throughout the book. I learned an extensive history of the battle against mesotheliomas caused by talc as lawyers presented their sides to the jury. I found it fascinating that the authors based the core of this novel on the more than three hundred cases where Dr. Gordon served as an expert witness, presenting evidence on the plaintiff side as people with cancer plead their case against giant corporations.

A somber tone permeated the novel as the authors shared the nightmare of Jane's diagnosis through straightforward writing. There was no lack of emotion as I read about the cause of Jane's cancer and the extent to which the company went to brush the evidence under the rug. I appreciated how the authors represented each side of the case. I felt like a jury member as the court proceeded, and I weighed the arguments on both sides. It was clear that the authors wrote the book to support Jane's plea, but there was still a fair showing of the defendant's side. I was occasionally able to justify the logic that went into the opposing arguments. Ultimately, I could not condone the company's willingness to choose the good of the company while the bottom line was the product was not safe despite their promise that it was.

The many medical and scientific explanations throughout the book could be daunting at times. Still, I appreciated how the authors explained the complex procedures in their easy-to-understand phrasing despite the complexity of the subjects. The book was professionally edited, and I found nothing that I disliked. Therefore, I give Jane's Dust four out of four stars.

Readers who enjoy fictionalized court dramas about ethical matters and public health concerns may want to add this one to their reading list since this novel was based on actual events. The book may also appeal to those who enjoy research-based fiction. The riveting court case presented will undoubtedly be an eye-opening read for any audience interested in the subject matter or those wondering about the recent history of talcum powder and the hidden health risks.

Jane's Dust
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Dami Bassam
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Dami Bassam »

The book is very serious , Jane has a problem of health. She used talc who contain asbestos divers, it is very dangerous. Dr Gordon's and Lawyers do many efforts to show the gravity of these products and Jane's Dust get a cancer by using talc.The author explain about this subject is very complex : thé recent history of talcum pouder and the hidden health risks. At the same time i like to thank the author "Mr Ronald E Gordon th.D" about this very interresant history and we have to be careful about these products.
Lindsey Larbi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lindsey-larbi.html
Latest Review: visiting With An Angel by Jerry A Greenberg

Post by Lindsey Larbi »

There is a saying that goes "for lack of knowledge my people perish". Before proceeding to use a product, It won't hurt to make inquiries about the product or better still seek advice from a medical doctor. Not all, but mostly business-minded people are profit-oriented and that means resorting to any means to sell their products. A quintessential example is the story of Jane. This book serves as a lesson for me to make inquiries before going ahead to use any product. Nice review.
Elenimo Chembe
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elenimo-chembe.html
Latest Review: A Dream For Peace by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah

Post by Elenimo Chembe »

Being a student of law and someone who wants to understand the issues surrounding cancer this book is a must-read. Thanks for the review, informative and pithy.
Kyrian007
Currently Reading: Hard Journey of the Heart: Jesse's Story
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kyrian007.html
Latest Review: A Dream For Peace by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah

Post by Kyrian007 »

The cover of the book is what attracted me to the review and I am loving how well reviewed the book is. I look forward to reading the book. Thank you for a wonderful review.
Umesh Bhatt
Favorite Book: Identity And Violence
Currently Reading: Make Your Message Matter
Bookshelf Size: 98
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-umesh-bhatt.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker
2024 Reading Goal: 8
2024 Goal Completion: 25%

Post by Umesh Bhatt »

The book is having a very interesting and unique plot. The review has been made with a thorough study of the book. Thanks for the great review.
Knowledge is power but one has to be a bookworm! :techie-studyingbrown:

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”