Review of Sharp as a Serpent's Tooth - Eva and Other Stories

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Alexander C Schmoock
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 150
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alexander-c-schmoock.html
Latest Review: Survived, evolved against all the odds by Ruth Mantile

Review of Sharp as a Serpent's Tooth - Eva and Other Stories

Post by Alexander C Schmoock »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Sharp as a Serpent's Tooth - Eva and Other Stories" by Mandy Haynes.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Sharp as a Serpent's Tooth: Eva and Other Stories is a story series written by Mandy Haynes. Through these short works of prose, Mandy Haynes creates interesting fictitious plots that show the plight of humanity at the different stages of life. These stories show human behaviors, which include lies, love, betrayal, and fear. Using women as protagonists in these stories, Mandy shares what life as a female looks like from birth to teenage age to old age, creating a sensitization and breaking the bias society has against women.

The most amazing thing about the book was the writing style of the author. Mandy used the first-person narrative to tell these interesting stories using a good number of literary devices that added colour to them. She told the stories in a relatable manner which made for good cognition and also captured my attention from start to finish. Each story was uniquely written to portray a different side of humanity and pass across a strong message. One can pick a lot of lessons from the book. One of such lessons is the determination of the female protagonists in the stories. They achieved incredible feats in uncomfortable situations. They overcame unfavourable conditions to carve a niche for themselves. The stories are great motivation for young women to step up their game and move beyond limitations. The book is also a wake-up call for negligent parents who are unaware of the situations their children go through, even right in their homes. Lastly, the book showed that unity in the family and society is a vital tool for success.

However, I didn't particularly appreciate that the book portrayed the male gender in a bad light for the most part. Virtually all the stories had male characters that were portrayed negatively. That could be a coincidence or just the author's choice, but I think it made the book one-sided. Apart from that, I didn't dislike anything else about the book.

Sharp as a Serpent's Tooth: Eva and Other Stories is an interesting read and is well arranged. Based on that, I give it a 4 out of 4 stars rating. I did not give it a lower rating because I had a great time reading it. The negative point didn't take a toll on my enjoyment of the book. It is a professionally edited book, even though I found one repeated error in it.

I would recommend this book to all adults, especially parents who seek to find a way to raise and protect their children. Females who want to be a better version of themselves should do well to read this book.

Sharp as a Serpent's Tooth - Eva and Other Stories
View: on Bookshelves
Cocobutta
Currently Reading: Hidden Current
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cocobutta.html
Latest Review: Cat Detectives in the Korean Peninsula by R.F. Kristi

Post by Cocobutta »

Congratulations on your published review. Sometimes while focusing on the female perspective, the male point of view is completely ignored or portrayed negatively. However, this sounds like a book I will like to read.
Ntokozo Joy Ndlovu
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: The Last Imprint
Bookshelf Size: 211
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ntokozo-joy-ndlovu.html
Latest Review: The MISOGI Method by Jody B. Miller
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by Ntokozo Joy Ndlovu »

The fact that the book is based on things that are encountered in real life makes it a very related book to read. Thank you for the review.
Ellylion
Favorite Book: The Altitude Journals
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 136
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ellylion.html
Latest Review: The Islands Tell Of It by Patty Fischer

Post by Ellylion »

I like that the author sees family as a tool for success, but I agree that mainly negative male characters make the book unbalanced. Nevertheless, you got me intrigued with all positive aspects of the book. Thank you for a great review!
Sopulu Ezidimma
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ezidimma-01.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by Sopulu Ezidimma »

Great job i must say telling a stroy of what life looks like from a female point of viewusing first person narrative. But i didn't like the male gender was seen as a negative impact. Great review.
Pauls_
Currently Reading: A Dagger In The Heart
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-paul.html
Latest Review: Recognizing Beauty by Cyndi Burrough

Post by Pauls_ »

I understand the inequality portrayed by the author. Sometimes, the female plight is overemphasized without putting the males into consideration. I would love to explore the book. Thanks for the review.

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”