Review of God is Like a Video Game

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Roy Nick
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 323
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-roy-nick.html
Latest Review: East of Troost by Ellen Barker

Review of God is Like a Video Game

Post by Roy Nick »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "God is Like a Video Game" by Chris Stanley.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

This is the second book by Chris Stanley I’m devouring. The title captivated my attention. I wondered, how can a person compare God to mere video games? It wasn’t after I started perusing that I understood the title. We might feel like we have sinned exceedingly, and there is no hope. The author encourages us, “No matter how severe our mess ups, no matter how far we’ve fallen, Jesus is ready to give you a restart.”

Video games have strategy guides that help one familiarize with them; hence, making playing less challenging. As believers, the Bible is our guide. It helps us comprehend what we should and should not do. Sometimes, the innocent die, and the villains live. Jesus died so we can receive eternal life. Even so, Jesus was blameless and unblemished. Yet, he died for our sins! In Minecraft, players can construct simple houses to buildings as big as castles. Likewise, God gave us the earth. We can plant, build hotels, businesses, etc. Anyway, have we not seen an improvement in technology and transportation over the years?

I know much about videos games: Super Smash Bros, Pokémon, World of Warcraft, etc. Thus, relating to this work proved effortless. I smiled when Chris compared God to Mario, a hero who had to save Princess Peach from her villains. I enjoyed how Stanley uses contemporary examples to relate to God. Even teenagers can relate to the work. I mean, what teen does not want to read about Sephiroth, Mario, and Luigi?

I only detected two errors. It is, therefore, true to say the book is professionally edited. There are a few video games I was not acquainted with, so I had a challenging time relating to them. That said, the ultimate message relating to God was easy to link Him with the superhero under discussion. I have to rate the work 4 out of 4 stars. Gamers cannot play continuously without taking breaks. Similarly, believers need to recharge by connecting with God.

The author gives facts about video games, and at the end of the book, he includes links and references to authenticate his statements. In some games, each character possesses weapons that range from swords to guns. Besides the Bible, prayer is our armor. I found no aspect to dislike. I recommend God is Like a Video Game by Chris Stanley to lovers of devotional books. Little knowledge about video games will be an added advantage.

God is Like a Video Game
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Ntokozo Joy Ndlovu
Currently Reading: The Last Imprint
Bookshelf Size: 211
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ntokozo-joy-ndlovu.html
Latest Review: The MISOGI Method by Jody B. Miller
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by Ntokozo Joy Ndlovu »

I also found the title curious. I am glad to see the rest of the book did not take away from that intrigue. Thank you for the excellent review.
Aisha Yakub
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 183
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aisha-yakub.html
Latest Review: A New War by Alexander Farah

Post by Aisha Yakub »

The title of this book is quite amazing, but it's a true reflection of things. This should be insightful. Thank you for the review.
cutemami
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cutemami.html
Latest Review: Without Redemption by David Griffith

Post by cutemami »

The author was very clever in the title of the book as it invited me. The books seems interesting and enlightening.
Yassin tawfik
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Yassin tawfik »

I also found the title curious. I am glad to see the rest of the book did not take away from that intrigue. Thank you for the excellent review.
Essy Nma
Currently Reading: The Magician's Secret
Bookshelf Size: 48
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-essy-nma.html
Latest Review: Cat Detectives in the Korean Peninsula by R.F. Kristi

Post by Essy Nma »

I will make this one of my quiet time reads. Thanks for the review.
ikechukwuamarachi+55
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 323
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ikechukwuamarachi-55.html
Latest Review: The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci by Belle Ami

Post by ikechukwuamarachi+55 »

I was also captivated by the title of this book. In essence, reading the Bible makes pleasing God less stressful. Thanks for the review
El Tedoski
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by El Tedoski »

The title of the book is quite amazing and interesting but it's not good to compare a high personality to a game
Sopulu Ezidimma
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ezidimma-01.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by Sopulu Ezidimma »

The title captured me, i could never have imagined one could compare video game to the unchanging love of God to us . Great review
Amy Luman
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: 2084
Bookshelf Size: 1015
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amy-luman.html
Latest Review: Zona II by Fred G. Baker
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Amy Luman »

Chris Stanley sure does know about capturing attention. As many others said, I, too, found the title very interesting.While I am not familiar with video games I do know that God is ready to give anyone a “do-over”.

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”