Review of Wayseekers of OM

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Erin Dydek
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Shadowborn
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 328
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-erin-dydek.html
Latest Review: Northern Umbrage by Dennis Lorenz Ph.D.

Review of Wayseekers of OM

Post by Erin Dydek »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Wayseekers of OM" by J Solomon & J E White.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Six high school friends remain connected through their favorite role-playing game, Wayseekers of OM, affectionally known to the group as WOO. Everything changes as the now-college friends trade in the pen and paper version of the game for the new, smartphone-compatible one. What seems like an innocent action in gameplay creates tension and feelings of betrayal among the longtime friends and far more devastating consequences for the people who reside in the game's fantasy world. Before the friends realize what's happening, they find themselves lost in the world of WOO, where magic is real, and an army of mythological beasts is lying in wait to exact their revenge.

Are these events genuinely happening, or is it all an elaborate hoax? A drug-induced state or a shared dream? Until they can figure out what's going on, the friends must discover their strengths, right their wrongs, and find a way back home before they all wind up dead.

Wayseekers of OM: Fragments of the Past is an entertaining portal fantasy by J. E. White and J. Solomon. I particularly enjoyed how the authors brought together the realistic struggles of life in a college setting alongside the thrill of adventure in a medieval fantasy realm. It was interesting to observe as the consequences the six players perceived as mere gameplay came to life. Once the overlord of the realm called them into the alternate world to repair the damage they had caused, it was hard to put this book down because I was so eager to see what adventure awaited the six characters.

The transition to the other world timed perfectly as the main characters' relationship drama reached its peak, presenting the added challenge of working together in an unknown world. I enjoyed watching the pairs work through their conflicts and how they eventually came together to find a solution.

While the book was a quick read, I was frustrated with the early chapters' redundant information. After introducing the game, the authors featured each character in a separate chapter depicting the events leading to an evening at the local bar. There was quite a bit of crossover, and the repeated information unnecessarily slowed down the story's first half. Still, the second half flowed smoothly with quick transitions that were easy to follow and kept the plot interesting.

Unfortunately, I also noticed quite a few minor editing issues. Because of the redundant information and the editing issues, I could only give this book three out of four stars. I still loved how the authors pulled me into the characters' interpersonal relationships and made me eager to see how the story turned out.

I would recommend Wayseekers of OM to mature audiences as the content was occasionally crude, and there were quite a few instances of strong language. I would categorize this book as Narnia meets Jumanji: Welcome to the Jungle for adults, and the nature of the role-playing game featured should also appeal to fans of Dungeons and Dragons. After finishing this engaging story, the ending opened the door for a possible sequel, which sparked my curiosity for things yet to come.

Wayseekers of OM
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Amy Luman
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1015
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amy-luman.html
Latest Review: Zona II by Fred G. Baker
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Amy Luman »

Is Wayseekers of OM, the game, anything like Dungeons and Dragons? I’ve never played, but my son did. I can see getting very caught up in that.
Nkgchidimma080
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nkgchidimma080.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by Nkgchidimma080 »

Adventure and magic stories are interesting,I would love to read more about this book,nice review.
Edit_or
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-edit-or.html
Latest Review: Always Strive to Be a Better You by Pete Hall

Post by Edit_or »

Unity is the biggest and most important factor that shouldn’t lack in any relationship or friendship. Good review
Gabriella1997
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gabriella1997.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by Gabriella1997 »

I love magic and adventures, would definitely like to add this to my book shelves, nice review.
Chinaza Nnabuenyi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 117
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chinaza-nnabuenyi.html
Latest Review: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures by Catherine A. Pepe

Post by Chinaza Nnabuenyi »

This is an interesting story about friendship. I love the review. Good job.
Humera955
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: The Fourth Kinetic
Bookshelf Size: 52
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-humera955.html
Latest Review: Smart Love by Vincent Fudge II
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by Humera955 »

Great review🍀
Books that involve magic is always my favorite😍
Adding to my next list
:tiphat: