Review of Love Song

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Oyedeji Okikioluwa
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 964
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-orizon.html
Latest Review: Proverbs 4:7 by Gaidi

Review of Love Song

Post by Oyedeji Okikioluwa »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Love Song" by Mark R. Conte.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Sometimes life could be like soul music. A combination of bitter-sweet rhythms that would leave a tangy but satisfied feeling sitting in your chest, such was the life of Donovan Scali in Mark R. Conte's Love Song. The major themes that resonate are love and family.

The book begins with the controversial birth of Donovan, who was the seed of a corrupt passion, and from the little heydays of his beginning, experienced firsthand cruelty and the harsh reality of this journey we call life. When things seem to be going well finally, the rug is pulled from under his feet, and he kisses the ground brutally. He fights against the flood determined to drown him and returns to his feet with admirable perseverance. But for how long will he continue to struggle against such Ill fate? It's for you to dive in and find out. With Donovan, you never can tell.

From a very fitting title to the chained sequence of events in a clear flowing stream, Mark R. Conte proved to be a true storyteller, with a distinct poetic voice that flavors every sentence. I like how the author used every character as an essential block for the building up of the story, major and minor characters alike. There were no redundant characters or scenarios; everything was a perfect fit.

I would never call Donovan's tragedies minor, but Donovan didn't feel entitled to hold life over in debt for everything he had been through. When he grew into the world, he got a broader perspective and a bigger lens to view from. He saw he wasn't anything special, not the world's best, neither the world's worst either. This resonated as great character development.

My favorite character, which was relatively easy to pick, is Donovan Scali. His ability to bounce back and focus was too alluring to miss. He also lived through some very precarious situations from which I can relate and draw knowledge. Also, I admire Nicole; she stands as a symbol of activism, significant change, and a pioneer of the feminist movement. She represents the strength, tenacity, determination, and confidence of the women who went before us and made the path easier by paving it. She championed the cause to gore whoever's ox was in the way without bothering about it.

There is nothing I dislike in the book. The book was professionally edited, as I observed a few errors, but they weren't severe enough to divert my attention from the pull of the story. Aside from that, the book was a very worthy read, and for that reason, I rate Love Song 4 out of 4 stars.

I recommend this book to readers who love literature and creative writing. Also, historical tale lovers, political enthusiasts, war tale fans, and aspiring writers will learn one or two lessons from the book.

Love Song
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Latest Review: Proverbs 4:7 by Gaidi
collinsogw555
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-collinsogw555.html
Latest Review: Bama Boy by Bobby Morrison

Post by collinsogw555 »

This sounds like an interesting and gripping book, you wrote an insightful review, I enjoyed reading it.
Snigdha Pandey
Favorite Author: David Levithan
Favorite Book: Burn for Me (Hidden Legacy, #1)
Currently Reading: One last stop
Bookshelf Size: 316
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-snigdha-pandey.html
Latest Review: Cat Detectives in the Korean Peninsula by R.F. Kristi
fav_author_id: 5798

Post by Snigdha Pandey »

The book seems really well written. I love it when the author gives importance to every single character. While the plot itself doesn't stand out, what makes a story good is how it is presented. The review tells me that the story has been presented really well. So I'll check the book out.
Theana De lima Araujo
Favorite Book: The Book Thief
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-theana-d.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler

Post by Theana De lima Araujo »

I love your style of writing when describing the plot, it's dramatic and captivating. What I gleaned from your review is that this could be about humanity and the directions life can go in. It is about understanding adversity and recognising that not everything needs to be labeled as good or bad as you mentioned about the character Donavan. Thank you for the well-written review. Have a remarkable day.
Pearl Thomas
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pearl-thomas.html
Latest Review: There and Back There Again by Andrew Alsup

Post by Pearl Thomas »

The lyricality of the book is reflected in your review, loved reading it. I will add it to my shelf! :)

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”