Review of Lucy

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Erin Dydek
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Shadowborn
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 328
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-erin-dydek.html
Latest Review: Northern Umbrage by Dennis Lorenz Ph.D.

Review of Lucy

Post by Erin Dydek »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Lucy" by Chris Coppel.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

What happens when a pampered pooch from West Sussex gets dog-napped and imprisoned in the grand city of London? Follow Lucy, a three-year-old golden retriever, as she joins forces with a dynamic pack of other coddled canines on their quest to find their way back home. While rediscovering her inner hound, Lucy will learn to see life from a new perspective and discover a unique aspect of her bright personality. But with the darkness of the city closing in, will Lucy remain the same sweet pup as when she left?

Lucy is a harrowing and heartwarming adventure novel by Chris Coppel. It's hard to express how much I enjoyed this delightful story! Lucy won my heart, and I loved exploring her country home through her eyes. Her everyday activities and memories were endearing moments that welcomed me into Lucy's world. I also loved journeying with the beautiful golden pup outside her comfort zone and could not resist cheering her on along the way.

Throughout this book, there were so many tender moments that taught lessons easily applicable to the unsuspecting "bipeds" reading this engaging story. While there were also dark scenes, I believe the author used these scenes to help the sheltered canines learn about the world around them. I enjoyed watching Lucy and her traveling companions encourage each other as they learned to deal with the problems they faced. The author gave each canine character their own charming personality quirks, and I loved how each responded differently to the issues presented.

I also loved the variety of other animals that they encountered on their journey. I don't want to spoil the surprise for you, but there was an exciting mix, and the outcome of the interactions was never quite what I expected. The diverse critter cultures and characterizations were typically an absolute delight but sometimes downright terrifying! The author further added to the story through the doggie descriptions of familiar places and concepts. It was hilarious to read their conversations, and I loved guessing what they were talking about before it became unmistakably clear.

I was hard-pressed to find anything to dislike about the book. The time spent in the dismal dog kennel involved some animal abuse, which I did not enjoy, but it was necessary to depict the horrible situation in which the dog-napped characters were trapped. Overall, the book was well-edited, and the minor typos that I found did not take away from my enjoyment of the book. Unfortunately, I noticed more than ten and had to reduce my rating. Therefore, I give Lucy three out of four stars. If not for the minor typos, I would have given the book all four stars.

I would recommend Lucy to animal lovers and readers who enjoy books written from a dog's perspective. There were a few minor swear words, and sensitive readers should be aware that there are a few scenes of abusive actions, but each of these was few and far between. If you love animal stories, be sure to check out Lucy's tale; it was hard not to fall in love with the sweet golden girl, and I had tears in my eyes more than once while reading this fantastic book.

Lucy
View: on Bookshelves
Hogwarts03
Currently Reading: Shatter Me
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hogwarts03.html
Latest Review: Reconfigurement by E. Alan Fleischauer

Post by Hogwarts03 »

This book sounds incredibly informative and heartwarming, not to mention eye opening. Great job on the review.
Amy Luman
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1015
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amy-luman.html
Latest Review: Zona II by Fred G. Baker
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Amy Luman »

I love stories about house pets. Especially novels where they are given human emotions. However, humans, ho matter how much they try, can’t know what the animals think. Thanks for the review!
Uzo_Reviews
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-uzo-reviews.html
Latest Review: Snow Country Lane by Sarah Vail

Post by Uzo_Reviews »

Your review has given rise to my expectations and anticipation. I hope I still feel sane way after I've read it. Great review!
Snigdha Pandey
Favorite Author: David Levithan
Favorite Book: Burn for Me (Hidden Legacy, #1)
Currently Reading: One last stop
Bookshelf Size: 316
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-snigdha-pandey.html
Latest Review: Cat Detectives in the Korean Peninsula by R.F. Kristi
fav_author_id: 5798

Post by Snigdha Pandey »

I love the premise. While I've watched some movies from the perspective of animals - Bolt, The secret life of pets, etc. , reading a book like that would be first for me. It sounds like a cute book which would be nice read in this increasingly depressing world.
Clare Jose
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Let's Pretend This Never Happened
Currently Reading: Pride and Prejudice
Bookshelf Size: 196
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-clare-jose.html
Latest Review: Not Fishy Enough by Briton Kolber

Post by Clare Jose »

This book looks like such a lovely read. I'm really looking forward to reading this.
Thanks for a great review.
Life is short, break the rules, forgive quickly, kiss slowly, love truly, laugh uncontrollably, and never regret anything that made you smile."

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”