Review of The God Squad - Mission Him-Possible II

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Harty Muli
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 271
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-harty-muli.html
Latest Review: A King Amongst Us by A.D. Lewis

Review of The God Squad - Mission Him-Possible II

Post by Harty Muli »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The God Squad - Mission Him-Possible II" by Darlene Laney.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

In this episode, The God Squad - Mission Him-Possible II: The Giant Slayers by Darlene Laney, a group of six girls exemplify the values of focus, determination, and loyalty in their chosen role as peer mentors at Carvers Prep. Earlier, though, Angel and Eve’s fallout had threatened to split the group apart. As the oldest members in the group, Angel and Eve’s behavior had caused the girls to stop meeting daily for lunch for the past one week. This had then compelled Ms. Foster, the school counselor, to summon the squad to her “reckoning room” to work things out.

To the girls, it seemed as though Angel had relapsed to the bad attitude she had when she joined the God Squad for the first time. They thought that it was even worse that she acted up in front of Taylor Williams, the girl who the God Squad was trying to help. In her defense, even so, Angel told the group that her anger was instigated by Ms. Mallard, the school principal, who stood them up. And the straw that broke the camel’s back, as far as she was concerned, was when Eve showed up late for the prearranged meeting accompanied by a boy.

I liked this novel because it dealt with the problem of bullying amongst adolescents effectively. Through the story of Taylor Williams, Laney illustrated how a perpetrator of bullying could end up being a victim herself. And due to the victim’s history, it could then be a challenge for her to seek redress from the school administrators because of credibility issues. Nevertheless, I was moved by how the school counselor, through her peer mentors, was able to professionally defuse the problem.

Besides, Laney demonstrated how some victims of bullying blamed themselves for the situation in which they found themselves, while others were not even aware of the problem. I was also excited by the plot twist where a peer mentor was tormented by her past unresolved bullying problem when she was assigned a case. It was then a race against time to witness how her fellow peer mentors helped her while, at the same time, addressing the assigned case.

On the other hand, I didn’t find anything dislikeable about this book. It’s also worth noting that the few editing errors in the book aren’t enough to affect its rating. I, thus, rate it 4 out of 4 stars.

Lastly, this book is best suited for students in grades six and up. I found this helpful because I thought students should learn about the negative effects of bullying early in life. At the same time, it may be less suited for those who aren’t religiously inclined due to a few references to biblical passages.

The God Squad - Mission Him-Possible II
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Josephe-Anne
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Author: George Orwell
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-josephe-anne.html
Latest Review: Not Fishy Enough by Briton Kolber
fav_author_id: 1746

Post by Josephe-Anne »

Well, I'm certainly intrigued by the creative book title! And the cover art with the cartoon characters and pink background remind me of The Powerpuff Girls. I'm glad this book tackles the issues surrounding bullying and offers the option of mentoring.

Thank you for a great review!
:tiphat:
"A house without books is like a room without windows." :techie-studyinggray:
― Horace Mann
markodim721
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 482
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-markodim721.html
Latest Review: The Solution is Political Revolution by Jillion R Rising

Post by markodim721 »

I think it's great that the book affects the youngest readers through anti-bullying messages.
k_madhu_jha
Currently Reading: There's a Rooster in My Bathroom!
Bookshelf Size: 54
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-k-madhu-jha.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by k_madhu_jha »

Thank you for the great review, I would give this a read.
MoeBrown
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-moebrown.html
Latest Review: It's Hard to Be a Vampire by Viktoria Faust

Post by MoeBrown »

The title of the book really caught my eye and from the review, I think myself and other younger readers would enjoy this. Great review.
Nathaniel Owolabi
Favorite Book: Cat Detectives in the Korean Peninsula
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 55
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nathaniel-owolabi.html
Latest Review: A Dream For Peace by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah

Post by Nathaniel Owolabi »

This seems like a good book for the younger generation of these days. It portrayed a subject matter that affects them a lot. I intend to read this book myself to see if I can recommend it to my younger siblings. Great work by the author. And this review did a great job of spiking my interest.

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”