Review of Adam's Ark

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Nzube Chizoba Okeke
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 442
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nzube-chizoba-okeke.html
Latest Review: Chrome Mountain by Ben Schneider

Review of Adam's Ark

Post by Nzube Chizoba Okeke »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Adam's Ark" by Frances Brand.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Adam's Ark by Frances Brand depicts a scenario that can fast become a reality if nothing is done. Humanity has abused the earth, and it has gotten warmer. This warmth means more rain, with wetter summer and long wet months in the winter instead of ice and snow. Climate condition has been toiled with, and little to no effort is put to curtail it.

Adam Woolton bought an isolated building in the high land to live with his family. It was meant to be remote and an escape from urban life. The Kerr's (Eve and John) were the only friends they had made since moving to Down Farm. Adam's house, which had just two bedrooms and a bathroom meant to contain just Adam, his wife, Sally, and their two teenage sons (Tom and Ben), was now forced to house an additional ninety city dwellers whose original homes were destroyed by a flood. The high land had become a refugee for people in the steadily rising water.

In one of their rescue missions, Adam had rescued Hayley Lomax, a seven-year-old girl. However, in the quest to find Hayley's mom, something else was discovered. Adam now had another additional problem to deal with in addition to the flood.

This book is provocative. The author takes an unusual approach to tackle a complex topic logically and with an excellent storyline. I like how the author showed how our planet would likely be in years to come if nothing is done to address climate change.

Without a doubt, this book tells an exciting survival story. It touches everything from extreme heat to long periods of rainfall, resulting in large parts of the earth being flooded, airdrops from the government being in short supply, and no medication for the sick. Lack of food was also prevalent. My heart broke when I read about the old man stuck in his wheelchair as the water rose and drowned him. The author did an exceptional job exploring ordinary people's problems and how they react and adapt to them. The scenes and sceneries described in this book were relatable.

The book's character development is nothing short of amazing. The character of Kirstie Lomax is very exceptional. She was ready to sacrifice anything to fight for a cause. The characters of Rosanna and Marcus Smith were annoying at first but later became amusing, bringing a bit of relaxation to the book. It was funny that they were more concerned about watching the golf tournament than facing the reality of what's going on. I also noticed the subtle parallelism between the character names and some biblical names. This made me assume the author drew some inspiration from the biblical flood. Only that this time, the central character was Adam and not Noah. I found this intriguing. However, it didn't make the book religious in any way.

Adam's Ark was massively entertaining and perfect in its pace. However, there were quite a good number of grammatical errors in the book. They wouldn't affect the perfect rating I'd give. However, I found them a tad upsetting. The book was fractionally close to losing one point in the rating. On that note, I'd rate it four out of four stars.

I recommend this book to lovers of adventure and survival stories. This book presents the realities of life in a way that potential readers will connect to effortlessly.

Adam's Ark
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
marta baglioni
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marta-baglioni.html
Latest Review: Shatter Girl by Shay Miranda

Post by marta baglioni »

Thank you for the amazing review!
The frant1c reader
Favorite Book: Crime and Punshment
Currently Reading: The Fox
Bookshelf Size: 172
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-the-frant1c-reader.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Fires of Virko by Matthew Tysz

Post by The frant1c reader »

Story seems unique and fun. Would like to give it a try sometime! Nice review! :D
What do you despise? By this you are truly known....
~Dune.
Chukwuebuka Ifedigbo
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chukwuebuka-ifedigbo.html
Latest Review: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute by Jeff Meyer

Post by Chukwuebuka Ifedigbo »

Since this book talks about nature and the earth in general, I must read it. I love books like this and thanks for this incredible review.

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”