Review of Check

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Bertha Jackson
Bookshelves Moderator
Favorite Book: Launchpad Republic: America's Entrepreneurial Edge and Why It Matters
Currently Reading: Life at the Precipice
Bookshelf Size: 755
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bertha-jackson.html
Latest Review: Embrace Your Age by JAMES B. FLAHERTY ... An octogenarian with a bright future.

Review of Check

Post by Bertha Jackson »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Check" by Michael Burton.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Check by Michael Burton is a fictional tale of espionage, drug trafficking, murder, torture, abuse, and living life like a chess game. In 2002, Scott Norris, his wife, Julie, and their nine-year-old son, Noah, take Scott's 78-year-old father, Miles, to the Better Life Spa (BLS). Miles is uncommunicative, and it was suspected that he had a stroke after his wife, June, died. Miles had moved in with Scott after an assisted living center in Florida ruled that he was a danger to himself and others. Things did not work out for them, and Scott decides on the BLS because they have a good reputation for treating Alzheimer's disease and is one of six Alzheimer Study Groups. The BLS is located on the old Morehouse plantation in Virginia and is decorated with Civil War relics. Miles does not have a good relationship with his family because he used to sell specialized computer hardware, which required European travel, and he was never home. Miles used to be a chess player and was once ranked with the US Chess Foundation. During the BLS orientation interview, Miles appears unable to comprehend anything going on around him. Chief of Medical Staff, Dr. Lee, uses a therapeutic approach to deal with Alzheimer's and age-related cognitive loss. So, what does this have to do with espionage, drug trafficking, murder, torture, abuse, and a chess game?

There are few positive aspects to this fast-paced, action-packed book. Michael Burton has developed each of the characters realistically. I could visualize each character regardless if they were being tortured in a Prisoner of War camp, a staff member or resident at the BLS, or a family member. I could sense their emotions of loss, pride, fear, pain, confusion, and depression. I appreciate that I did not have to be a chess player to understand the actions that were called chess moves. Mr. Burton adequately explained each of them. At the end of each day, Miles's journal entries recapped what I had just read and ensured that I did not miss anything important. There are a few German words, but their English translations are in parentheses, so I understood what was being related.

I have to say that parts of this book were difficult for me to read. The scenes involving torture and abuse were not only gory but also cold emotionally. It is hard for me to understand people without feelings or empathy.

I am confident that a professional editor has edited this book as there were only two minor errors that they could have easily missed. There is absolutely no reason for me to give this well-written book less than 4 out of 4 stars. I enjoyed reading this book and had a hard time putting it down.

I recommend this book to adult readers who enjoy fictional books about espionage, the CIA, nursing homes, and Alzheimer's disease. I do not recommend this book to younger readers because of the gory parts, and some of the content does have borderline profanity that may not be appropriate. If you do not like scenes involving torture or abuse, you will want to avoid this book.

Check
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Bertha R. Jackson :D
Book Reviewer at OnlineBookClub.org
The frant1c reader
Favorite Book: Crime and Punshment
Currently Reading: The Fox
Bookshelf Size: 172
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-the-frant1c-reader.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Fires of Virko by Matthew Tysz

Post by The frant1c reader »

Looks like this book has a lot of interesting elements to it. I've read a lot of dark themed books, so I don't think the gory details would stop me from reading it. Your review was very well written! Thank you for such a good account of the book! :D
What do you despise? By this you are truly known....
~Dune.
sunny4life
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sunny4life.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by sunny4life »

This sounds like the perfect book for me, might just give it a shot. Thanks for the lovely review.
Amy Luman
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: 2084
Bookshelf Size: 1015
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amy-luman.html
Latest Review: Zona II by Fred G. Baker
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Amy Luman »

I love fiction and books that move quickly are very appealing to me. This sounds like a great one. I am appreciative of the review.
Kavita Shah
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Spellbound - The Workings of Drugtech
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 188
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kavita-shah.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Kavita Shah »

I want to where and how does drugs, trafficking and chess come here? The cove is striking and on first impression it felt like a book about chess. But that's not the case. I will add it to my want to read shelf. Thank you for a great review!
Deprise Evans
Favorite Author: Francine Rivers
Currently Reading: Crazy Love
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-deprise-evans.html
Latest Review: The Spirit of Want by William H. Coles
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
fav_author_id: 6456

Post by Deprise Evans »

This book sounds so interesting and very detailed. I have been diving into the thriller/suspense genre recently and this sounds like another thrilling read. However, the one thing that turns me off is the dislike you mentioned. Like you, gory scenes of torture and other sensitive subjects can make me a bit uneasy. So based on this, I will have consider this book carefully. Thank you for such a great review!
Chukwuebuka Ifedigbo
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chukwuebuka-ifedigbo.html
Latest Review: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute by Jeff Meyer

Post by Chukwuebuka Ifedigbo »

This book sounds realistic and expressive. I love it and would read it soon. Thanks for this review!
onyii_review
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-onyii-review.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler

Post by onyii_review »

Sounds horrific. I would pass. Thanks for the review though.
Uzzy_Reviews

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”