Looking for Alaska by John Green

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any young adult books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
queenofjacks
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-queenofjacks.html

Re: Looking for Alaska by John Green

Post by queenofjacks »

John Green is still the only author capable of making me cry thus far. For some reason Looking for Alaska hit me really hard and I almost stopped reading. Anyway, Looking for Alaska is currently one of my favorite books.
BookLovers2015
Favorite Author: John Green
Favorite Book: Little Women
Currently Reading: Never Fade by Alexandra Bracken
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-booklovers2015.html
fav_author_id: 2072

Post by BookLovers2015 »

Let me just say I LOVE JOHN GREEN. He is one of my favorite authors. When I was reading Looking For Alaska and got to the middle of the story my roommate saw me crying and she said,"You got to that part, didn't you?" I nodded and promised myself that Iwould not read anymore of the story. That lasted for about 30 minutes. Soon I was reading it again and finished late that night. It is one of my favorite John Green stories roght after Fault Of Our Stars.
ginny91
Bookshelf Size: 4

Post by ginny91 »

While I enjoyed reading this book.... it had a good story, interesting characters.... this was the book where I gained my education on reading a book before my daughter does if she wants to choose it for a book report.

I did not feel this book was book report material for a 13 year old. Other than that, it was a good read.
akuvaja
Currently Reading: City of Bones
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-akuvaja.html
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by akuvaja »

Looking for Alaska is one of John Green's best novels by far. The characters are semi-realistic and yet captivating. They are not your typical teenagers, but they are the teenagers that teens like to think they are. I did find the ending predictable, but that did not make it any less heartbreaking. I think that is good for teens to read about these serious topics.
Beth-j
Currently Reading: Dark Places
Bookshelf Size: 37
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-beth-j.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by Beth-j »

I loved this book. I love John Green. Although it may be geared for a young adult or teen audience, I had no trouble relating to the characters. If anything! It took me back to my teen years and I could actually feel myself in the story. I wanted to read this forever and was super happy to have finally gotten the chance.
Deee
Favorite Author: J.R.R. Tolkien
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 18984">The Two Towers</a>
Currently Reading: Second Foundation
Bookshelf Size: 1417
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-deee.html
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Deee »

I always like the way John Green writes his characters and their relationship with each other. I especially loved the 'General' and his interactions with his friends and his mother. Alaska was complex and mostly lost in pain and guilt, but I found her character to be much more relatable in comparison to Margot from 'Paper Towns'.

'Looking for Alaska' was a great read and I've definitely become a fan of John Green.
"But to find out the truth about how dreams die, one should never take the word of the dreamer."

Toni Morrison, The Bluest Eye.
Pretenti0usQuips
Currently Reading: Gone Girl
Bookshelf Size: 4
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pretenti0usquips.html
Reading Device: B00NQGOO4I

Post by Pretenti0usQuips »

I personally couldn't put the book down. John Green does a spectacular job of bringing his audience fully into his story and wrapping them up in teenage angst. I cried. I sniffled. I sobbed. Reading John Green makes me forget that I'm an adult, and for a few hours, I can be seventeen and smoking cigarettes, and hating my life again. It's the same nostalgia I get from listening to the music I listened to as a teen, and I treasure John Green's unique ability to make me feel that way.
Agentmatty007

Post by Agentmatty007 »

I thought this books was great. But I did think it ended abruptly. I thought that the plot and the characters were great and I thought the themes throughout the book were well developed!
Sweet Angel
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sweet-angel.html

Post by Sweet Angel »

I read this book in school and it was really good. I got hooked and could not put the book down. John Green is a good writer. I would recommend to read his books.
Mischka755
Favorite Book: The Sun is Also a Star
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 8

Post by Mischka755 »

This book was great, I really fell in love with it.
Mr Unknown

Post by Mr Unknown »

fari30 wrote: 16 Apr 2014, 00:19 I still haven't read it, but I, too, have heard a lot of great things about it. I put it on hold at the cannot wait for it to get here!!
It is a great book
Gave me a book hangover
Warning very depressing
Made me almost cry
“I want to find my way out of this labyrinth of suffering”
Thea Frederick
Currently Reading: Little Dorrit
Bookshelf Size: 69
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-thea-frederick.html
Latest Review: How to Cope: Parenting a Child with Special Needs by Christine E. Staple Ebanks

Post by Thea Frederick »

I have never read Looking for Alaska, but I did read the plot and how it ends. I know that a lot of people really like this book and I’m just curious as to why. When I finished reading the plot, the world that the summary had painted in my mind was one which was very dark and confused. It was full of sadness and angst. So I am just asking, why do people like it and what makes it a good book?
-Thea M. Frederick
nanglada
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nanglada.html
Latest Review: Zonas de quema by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by nanglada »

I can honestly say I did not like Looking for Alaska. I found the characters were way too angsty and not at all likable, especially Alaska. She was supposed to be alluring and mysterious but it didn't work for me. I'm sorry to all of you who loved it, please don't kill me.
Thea Frederick
Currently Reading: Little Dorrit
Bookshelf Size: 69
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-thea-frederick.html
Latest Review: How to Cope: Parenting a Child with Special Needs by Christine E. Staple Ebanks

Post by Thea Frederick »

Hm. Okay, good to know.
-Thea M. Frederick
girlfromjupiter

Post by girlfromjupiter »

Looking for Alaska is my favourite of all John Green books. The fact that this book isn't about one set thing but about so many different experiences of life made it even better to read. It even helped me after losing a friend.

Return to “Young Adult Fiction Books”