Official Review: List Life by Sophie Jackson

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Mariana Figueira
Favorite Book: Tujunga
Currently Reading: Cloud Atlas
Bookshelf Size: 215
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mariana-figueira.html
Latest Review: Mysteries Of the First Instant by Daniel Friedmann

Official Review: List Life by Sophie Jackson

Post by Mariana Figueira »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "List Life" by Sophie Jackson.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

One day, Elise was texting her recently divorced friend Brad, who was being gloomy about not getting on with his life, when she decided to cheer him up by sending him a list of tasks to complete in a certain amount of time; just like that, List Life was born.

Because the list proved to be such a raging success for Brad, Elise spread the word, and soon, her friends, family, and coworkers were in on it, sending and asking for lists. Initially, the intention was to improve her friend's mood and, after a while, a way to get out of her comfort zone by doing the crazy things people told her to. Because Elise is consistently on the move, these lists are perfect for her, though sometimes they were more than inconvenient.

I think this book is a pleasant, light read that many people can enjoy. Sophie Jackson wrote it in a journal format, so she tells of the events addressing the reader directly, and it feels like a trusted friend is talking to you. The language is straightforward, informal, and the author's style was refreshing and relatable; unfortunately, I found more than a handful of grammar errors and typos, so it requires further editing.

I find the concept of List Life fascinating and want to try it myself. I relished the diary composition in which the author described the events and the narrator's enthusiasm, as she rejoices in so many things and is not afraid to express her opinion. Lastly, it thrills me to know the book is based on real events. Those things were my absolute favorite thing out of the novel.

The sole thing I didn't appreciate was the lack of plot development; although the book is nearly three hundred pages, not much happens. It consists predominantly of stories of how Elise ticked off all the items on the lists and the consequences she experienced and, at the very end, there are some reflections on what the lists meant for her as a lifestyle. However, this wasn't a significant issue for me, and it didn't prevent me from liking the book.

Overall, I enjoyed reading List Life. It is a shame it wasn't edited properly, as I would have granted it four stars; as it is, I have to give it three out of four stars because of the number of errors, as well as the underdeveloped storyline. I think it would be a lovely read for many people, as long as they're not bothered by it having several instances of non-borderline vulgar language.

List Life
View: on Bookshelves
"No two persons ever read the same book" Edmund Wilson
Kavita Shah
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Spellbound - The Workings of Drugtech
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 188
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kavita-shah.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Kavita Shah »

The idea of a list and doing all the crazy things mentioned within a time limit is a good topic. The concept of list's has been since long, but I never came across a book/diary about it. What list did she make for Brad and then for her family? Thank you for the informative review!
Zaeda Amrin
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zaeda-amrin.html
Latest Review: The Mindset by Ace Bowers

Post by Zaeda Amrin »

Following a list of tasks to get out of your comfort zone is a really interesting idea. It reminds me of the movie Dare, which was itself a really thrilling movie! The writing style also sounds nice, I don't often read books written in a diary-style. Thank you for the great review!
Becca Olsson
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 87
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-becca-olsson.html
Latest Review: Animal Village by Nelda LaTeef

Post by Becca Olsson »

I love when an author can write in a conversational way. I always feel more involved. Thanks for the great review!
Kristy Khem
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Carmela
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 183
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kristykhem.html
Latest Review: Hattie Vavaseur by M. Rebecca Wildsmith

Post by Kristy Khem »

The concept of List Life sounds so cool! I would love to make lists for those around me. I wonder what kind of activities were on Elise's lists. Nice review.
Yvonne Monique
Favorite Book: To Sleep in a Sea of Stars
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 102
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-yvonne-monique.html
Latest Review: Healing Depression by C. Daley

Post by Yvonne Monique »

A list life sounds like a great way to get out of our daily routine. This book sounds like a fun read for a lazy afternoon.
Kennedy NC
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 128
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kennedy-nc.html
Latest Review: Bluewater Walkabout by Tina Dreffin

Post by Kennedy NC »

The idea of a list being the solution to someone's moodiness is new. Great review written here.
Joyful17
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 126
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-k17.html
Latest Review: Diary of a Talking (war) Dog by Daniel Tierney

Post by Joyful17 »

I'm quite curious about what the list contains. I guess I would have to get my copy to find out. Thanks for a great review.
WADonnelly
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wadonnelly.html
Latest Review: The Unbound Soul by Richard L. Haight

Post by WADonnelly »

Thanks to your review I think I'll give this book a go as it sounds like a light and easy book to read.
Rayah Raouf
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rayah-raouf.html
Latest Review: The Heart of the World by Michael Tillotson

Post by Rayah Raouf »

I quite like journal-type books! This book does sound interesting though. Thank you for the review.
Memories are dangerous things. You turn them over and over, until you know every touch and corner, but still you'll find an edge to cut you.― Mark Lawrence, Prince of Thorns
Mariana Figueira

Kavita Shah wrote: 01 May 2021, 10:17 The idea of a list and doing all the crazy things mentioned within a time limit is a good topic. The concept of list's has been since long, but I never came across a book/diary about it. What list did she make for Brad and then for her family? Thank you for the informative review!
The lists had everything from what to eat to "text someone you love them" :D Thanks for stopping by!
amrinzaeda wrote: 01 May 2021, 12:13 Following a list of tasks to get out of your comfort zone is a really interesting idea. It reminds me of the movie Dare, which was itself a really thrilling movie! The writing style also sounds nice, I don't often read books written in a diary-style. Thank you for the great review!
Thanks for commenting! This book is quite nice indeed.
Booklover Becca wrote: 01 May 2021, 14:09 I love when an author can write in a conversational way. I always feel more involved. Thanks for the great review!
Thank you for the compliment!
Mariana Figueira

KristyKhem wrote: 01 May 2021, 14:49 The concept of List Life sounds so cool! I would love to make lists for those around me. I wonder what kind of activities were on Elise's lists. Nice review.

The lists had everything in them! Though it usually only had five items. Thanks for stopping by.
Yvonne Monique wrote: 01 May 2021, 16:31 A list life sounds like a great way to get out of our daily routine. This book sounds like a fun read for a lazy afternoon.
Absolutely, it's a nice easygoing book. Thanks for stopping by.
Kennedy NC wrote: 01 May 2021, 20:43 The idea of a list being the solution to someone's moodiness is new. Great review written here.

Thanks!
Mariana Figueira

Kike17 wrote: 02 May 2021, 08:46 I'm quite curious about what the list contains. I guess I would have to get my copy to find out. Thanks for a great review.
I hope you enjoy it! Thank you so much for stopping by.
WADonnelly wrote: 02 May 2021, 12:57 Thanks to your review I think I'll give this book a go as it sounds like a light and easy book to read.
Awesome! I hope you like it.
RayRuff wrote: 02 May 2021, 15:04 I quite like journal-type books! This book does sound interesting though. Thank you for the review.
Thank you so much for stopping by!
Raluca_Mihaila
Favorite Book: The Brothers Karamazov
Currently Reading: The Master and Margarita
Bookshelf Size: 175
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-raluca-mihaila.html
Latest Review: Brandy, Ballad of a Pirate Princess by Dan E. Hendrickson

Post by Raluca_Mihaila »

It seems like an easy but educational read. An interesting combination :). Thank you for this interesting review!
Marcel Cantu
Currently Reading: Under Another Sun
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marcel-cantu.html
Latest Review: Elizabeth's Garden by Phillip Leighton-Daly

Post by Marcel Cantu »

This seems like a fun and easy read. The premise is very interesting and sounds like a unique idea to deal with things. It is too bad the story is not better developed!

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”