Official Review: Heavenly by Thomas Duffy

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Sam Ibeh
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 459
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sam-ibeh.html
Latest Review: The vampires: Sodom and Gomorrah by Levănt DuPrae

Official Review: Heavenly by Thomas Duffy

Post by Sam Ibeh »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Heavenly" by Thomas Duffy.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Heavenly by Thomas Duffy is a profound spiritual book about a young man who lived an unfulfilled life. When he was killed, he went to the afterlife, where God gave him a second chance to make amends. He reincarnated through a child called Peter.

John was a loner; at 43, he had no serious relationship or family ties — no child, wife, or girlfriend. The only close relationships he enjoyed were with his job and movies. Anything outside these made no meaning to him. After his gruesome murder, he showed up in the afterlife to answer to God and His angels. After a long deliberation with divinity, it was concluded that he lived an unfulfilled life. God decided to give him a second chance, albeit through reincarnation. He was reborn as Peter to a couple, Megan and Josh. John, now as Peter, will have to do all he can to fulfill his destiny and, most importantly, build credible relationships. In his struggle to achieve success, he was faced with the brutal reality of life. His desire to find love took him on an adventure. Will he give up and become John, or will he be Peter and remain steadfast to make a difference in his second life.

Heavenly, as the title depicts, shows how the heavens (God and His angels) watch over people. It deals with living a life of purpose and acting on God's will for your life. It's a soul-searching book, exposing you to the reality of life — the ups and downs, the test of faith, and standing firm with God. The author's narrative is concise. What awed me most in the book was how the author tried to give Peter a distinct personality, even though he was a reincarnation of John. I could quickly pinpoint the similarities and differences between the two characters, though they were the same in a sense.

The emotions this book evoked is second to none. I laughed at some points, shed a tear at others, and smiled a couple of times. I particularly enjoyed the last chapters, as Peter's personality became more pronounced.

There are some errors in the book. However, they didn't affect my reading experience. The only thing I found to be off-putting was the book's formatting. There were no breaks as I transitioned from one chapter to another. A chapter begins from where the preceding one ended, with only a line break separating them. This formatting issue negatively affected the readability. I strongly suggest that the author reformat this book to fix this significant issue.

I will rate this book 3 out of 4 stars. It loses one star due to the significant issue I mentioned in the last paragraph. I will recommend this book to people struggling to live the life they're designed to live. There's a religious undertone to this book. However, it can be overlooked if the reader focuses on the overarching storyline. Finally, this book is best suited for a mature reading audience due to the explicit description of sex scenes.

Heavenly
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Kavita Shah
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Spellbound - The Workings of Drugtech
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 188
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kavita-shah.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Kavita Shah »

John, a.k.a Peter will be a better version of himself in his new life. Thank you for a great review!
Becca Olsson
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 87
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-becca-olsson.html
Latest Review: Animal Village by Nelda LaTeef

Post by Becca Olsson »

Sounds like this is truly an inspirational book! Thanks for the great review
Uzo_Reviews
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-uzo-reviews.html
Latest Review: Snow Country Lane by Sarah Vail

Post by Uzo_Reviews »

Well, I don't believe in reincarnation. And I hope anyone who does will love it. Your review was superb.
onyii_review
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-onyii-review.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler

Post by onyii_review »

I also don't believe in incarnation. But, who knows? This looks like a book I might enjoy. Thanks for the review.
Uzzy_Reviews

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”