Official Review: Woman Go Home by Ruth Sawh

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Bertha Jackson
Bookshelves Moderator
Favorite Book: In It Together
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 743
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bertha-jackson.html
Latest Review: All You'll Never Be (Kindle Edition) by E. L. Neve

Official Review: Woman Go Home by Ruth Sawh

Post by Bertha Jackson »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Woman Go Home" by Ruth Sawh.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Woman Go Home by Ruth Sawh is a fictional novella about Meena, a 70-year-old English professor who always thought retirement would be a personal choice. However, as soon as she turned 70, colleagues and friends started asking her when she would retire, her financial status, and her pension status. Many asked her if she felt like her IQ was changing. Does she not want to travel? They suggest she do volunteer work or spend more time with her grandchildren and her husband. They tell her that her old appearance is disturbing to others. Before revealing what her decision regarding retirement is, Meena will take you on a humorous journey regarding the topics mentioned above and the impact of aging on individuals with their physical changes and attitudes, in general. If you want to know her decision and how she comes to it, read this delightful book.

There many things I like about this book. Greg Sitowski did a fantastic job on the artful and tasteful illustrations, which add more humor for the reader. Although there are aspects in this book that are serious, Ruth Sawh has intertwined comedy with comments like “as awkward as a pig on a water slide” and fearing that her grandchildren will comment “greedy grandma gone to her grave” at the cemetery when she dies. Although the book’s message is fictional, there is a lot of truth in it. I encountered much of what she did before I retired. I agree with the section about online dictionaries that update daily with current slang and have made modern English a second language to many of us. I particularly like her attitude that younger people need to be aware of what they wish concerning elderly employees because their time is coming.

The only thing I dislike about this book is the number of errors I found. These errors would be easy to miss with proofreading, but a professional editor would have found them.

I found over ten errors in this 110-page book. Therefore, I can only give the book 3 out of 4 stars. If Ms. Sawh has the book edited by a professional editor, it would deserve four stars. I did not give the book two stars because it is a good book that I enjoyed reading.

I recommend this book to readers who want a fast and easy read about age discrimination in the workplace and life choices. Sensitive readers need to be aware that there is some borderline profanity in the book. However, this profanity will not be offensive to most readers.

Woman Go Home
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Bertha R. Jackson :D
Book Reviewer at OnlineBookClub.org
Kavita Shah
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Spellbound - The Workings of Drugtech
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 188
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kavita-shah.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Kavita Shah »

"As awkward as pig on a water slide," that's really funny and awkward. Thanks for the review! I'll add it o my want to read shelf.
Mwatu
Currently Reading: Don't Mind Me, I'm Just Having a Bad Life
Bookshelf Size: 52
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mwatu.html
Latest Review: Protectors of the Black Prince by Curtis Stephen Burdick

Post by Mwatu »

I find the commentary around Meena's retirement quite offensive. Glad to read she took in stride, however. I think age discrimination is something I haven't actively considered and this would be good for my education. Thank you for your lovely review!
Becca Olsson
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 87
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-becca-olsson.html
Latest Review: Animal Village by Nelda LaTeef

Post by Becca Olsson »

That’s so sad that people are so brutally pushed out solely based on age. I hope she stands up for herself and sticks her ground. Thanks for the great review!
MsH2k
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Crushing
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 366
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-msh2k.html
Latest Review: Lilleah by eelonqa K harris

Post by MsH2k »

I have a feeling Meena’s going to retire on her own terms. At least I hope she does! Thank you for your recommendation. :balloon:
"Knowing what must be done does away with fear."
Rosa Parks
onyii_review
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-onyii-review.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler

Post by onyii_review »

I guess 70 is too old for someone to be working. Regardless of how much they love the job. Thanks for the review though.
Uzzy_Reviews

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”