Official Review: Into Light and Shadow by Dave Gordon

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Anthony__
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 459
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anthony.html
Latest Review: Its Saddest Sound by Pirjo Marjut Vega-Brandt

Official Review: Into Light and Shadow by Dave Gordon

Post by Anthony__ »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Into Light and Shadow" by Dave Gordon.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Into Light and Shadow by Dave Gordon is a 185-page fiction novel. It documents the journey of one man’s transcendence and spiritual enlightenment. The book is divided into three parts and contains different themes of family, friendship, mentorship, and spiritual growth.

Steve, a high-class and self-absorbed lawyer, goes on a climbing expenditure with his best friend. The goal was to reach the top of Mount Everest, which is a feat that has cost many people their lives. At the Second Step from the summit pyramid, Steve loses his foothold and falls headlong, hitting his head against a rock. He went through a near-death experience and was only brought back by the Light. At that moment between life and death, the Light gave him a review of his shallow and ego-filled life. Then, Steve was given a chance to return to the Earth for some reasons that caused a dramatic change in his outlook on life. With Jack’s help, a Zen-Christian Father, he goes in search of his unique spiritual path. Can Steve deal with his ego and find his path in time to save his family? Read the book to find out more about Steve’s journey into the spiritual world.

It’s hard to pick a favourite character, but I enjoyed my time with Steve’s three children. Their free spirit and antics in such a severe novel were quite refreshing. I couldn’t get enough of them. The most troubling thing is how his story or adage leaves you with more questions than answers. He always said it was the Buddhism pattern.

I enjoyed how Dave Gordon puts forth the idea of a plurality of spiritual paths for an individual. It is an ideal where a man holds and practices more than one religious belief or makes his spiritual course without boundaries. While these ideas are not popular, I believe the point here is religious tolerance and individualism in spiritual matters. He also explained the need to embrace one’s cultural heritage, which was terrific.

There is only one thing I dislike about the book. The author’s writing style and language structure, though modern, was quite complex. Even though his descriptions were detailed, it was hard to develop a mental picture of the sceneries. I felt the author could have simplified it to reach a less advanced audience. However, he hit a home run in his character development. Both minor and major characters were well developed.

Readers could gain one or two life lessons from the themes that were explained within the book pages. Also, the book was professionally edited, as I found no grammatical or punctuation errors. Therefore, I am rating the book 4 out of 4 stars.

In conclusion, I recommend the book to Buddhists and people who hold the idea of combined religion or unique spiritual path. On a final note, Christians might not agree with some things in the book.

Into Light and Shadow
View: on Bookshelves
Suzer6440 xyz
Favorite Book: Pearl River Mansion
Currently Reading: Five Total Strangers
Bookshelf Size: 201
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-suzer6440-xyz.html
Latest Review: The Maestro Monologue by Rob White

Post by Suzer6440 xyz »

I enjoyed your review. I think it’s great that people express their own opinions and feelings about things . I plan to see what this book has to offer.
Eclecticmama
Favorite Author: Patricia Briggs
Currently Reading: Chasing Fireflies
Bookshelf Size: 90
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eclecticmama.html
Latest Review: The Engine Woman's Light by Laurel Anne Hill
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S
fav_author_id: 4314

Post by Eclecticmama »

Well this is an interesting concept. I'm curious why the author chose to make this into a fiction novel rather than a non fiction. I'm not too familiar with the Buddhist faith being raised Christian myself. And since your review states its not an ideal read for us, I'm going to give this one a pass. Great informative review, and I appreciate your honest take on it!
Aisha Yakub
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 183
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aisha-yakub.html
Latest Review: A New War by Alexander Farah

Post by Aisha Yakub »

I'm not sure this book has my interest. Thank you for your review
Stevenmusk
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 60
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stevenmusk.html
Latest Review: Under the Blue Moon by Joan Schweighardt

Post by Stevenmusk »

Thanks for the review. The plot is interesting and captivating. I look forward to reading it.

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”