Official Review: Charlie's Secret by Melody Law

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Justine Ocsebio
Currently Reading: Dancing Under The Stars
Bookshelf Size: 245
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-justine-ocsebio.html
Latest Review: Under Nazi Noses by John Tepper Marlin (Translator), Erik Schaap (Dutch Author)

Official Review: Charlie's Secret by Melody Law

Post by Justine Ocsebio »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Charlie's Secret" by Melody Law.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Narcissistic Personality Disorder or NPD refers to a mental condition that is unknown to many. A person with NPD exhibits an extreme sense of self-importance, a lack of empathy, and a relentless need for attention. Charlie’s Secret, a novel by Melody Law, is a book that explores the plight of a woman in a physically and emotionally abusive relationship with a narcissist.

Charlie is grieving over the loss of her first husband when she meets Mark. Captivated by his charms and persistence, Charlie eventually marries this man. For a while, their marriage is nothing short of perfect, but as time goes on, Charlie starts seeing Mark’s manipulative and gaslighting tendencies. As Charlie finds the necessary courage to exit this relationship, she embarks on a rough journey towards emotional healing.

I liked how the author gave Charlie’s character so many layers. Charlie’s tragic narrative is neither her defining characteristic nor the only thing that her life revolves around. While the story talked about her abusive marriage, it also delved into those healthy relationships she fostered with other people. Additionally, I like the exploration of many relevant themes in the story. It delves into some of the complicated reasons why victims of abuse often find it difficult to expose their abusers. It also portrays instances when a victim defends and rationalizes abusive behaviors. Further, the narrative displays the significance of a support system during an emotional upheaval. Charlie has friends who are willing to take her in whenever things are tough at home. Their trips all over the country bring out Charlie’s quirks and her overall fun personality.

It’s important to note that I had the privilege to review the updated version of this book. The author rectified the editorial errors and stretched several scenes by adding more dialogues. These scenes further developed the story and the characters, and I was satisfied with the overall outcome. In the previous version, I expressed my dissatisfaction with the protagonist’s tendency to give a straightforward, in-depth analysis in almost every situation. I wasn’t able to fully enjoy the book because I felt like the protagonist was feeding me explanations rather than allowing me to formulate mine. I’m glad that the author did the necessary modification concerning this issue, so it no longer appeared distracting.

The above reasons made me rate this book 4 out of 4 stars. I appreciated Charlie’s characterization and the relevant themes. The narrative improved, and I can finally vouch for this book’s excellent editing quality. I do not have anything to dislike. I recommend this book to anyone who wants to dive into a story that explores the complex dynamics of an abusive relationship. It’s also important to note that this book contains scenes that explicitly depict domestic violence. I advise those who are sensitive to such content to proceed with caution.

Charlie's Secret
View: on Bookshelves
Masekake
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-masekake.html
Latest Review: Tales of the 70's by D.Done

Post by Masekake »

I'm always fascinated by stories between abusers and the ones being abused and their relationship dynamics. This sounds like a book I would love to read, also your review is well written. I enjoyed reading it.
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by 40310190156 »

This sounds like a lovely book and to be quite honest it explores a topic rarely touched, would love to read it.
Raluca_Mihaila
Favorite Book: The Brothers Karamazov
Currently Reading: The Master and Margarita
Bookshelf Size: 175
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-raluca-mihaila.html
Latest Review: Brandy, Ballad of a Pirate Princess by Dan E. Hendrickson

Post by Raluca_Mihaila »

I loved reading your insightful review! It seems like a very educational book, and I would like to find out more about NPD. Great work!
Petruschka1
Currently Reading: India in Chaos
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-petruschka1.html
Latest Review: Watchwords (black and white) by Philip Neal Gatter

Post by Petruschka1 »

I would like to learn more about NPD. It must be very difficult for a woman to leave a physically and emotionally abusive relationship. Luckily Charlie has a good support network.
Dimi1
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dimi1.html
Latest Review: One Woman's Long and Lonely Walk by Gail Hart

Post by Dimi1 »

I like the fact that we are speaking about a multi-dimensional character. It also seems really encouraging that the author actually heard you and adjusted. Great review!
Marcel Cantu
Currently Reading: Under Another Sun
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marcel-cantu.html
Latest Review: Elizabeth's Garden by Phillip Leighton-Daly

Post by Marcel Cantu »

This sounds like a very interesting topic. I think I would like to read this book. Thank you for the compelling review!
Samantha Simoneau
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 240
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-samantha-simoneau.html
Latest Review: Dancing With Jesus by Allison Broughton
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Samantha Simoneau »

I always appreciate sufficiently complex characters and an author's efforts to continually improve, as well as a well-written review! Thanks.
Samantha Simoneau

“But upon the stage of life, while conscience claps, let the world hiss! On the contrary if conscience disapproves, the loudest applauses of the world are of little value."
~John Adams :greetings-clapyellow:
Mtibza eM
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 102
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mtibza-em.html
Latest Review: Am I Burned Out at Work? by Salar A. Khan MD, MBA

Post by Mtibza eM »

Wow! This book is so different, and I think I will enjoy reading it. Thank you for sharing!
Rayah Raouf
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rayah-raouf.html
Latest Review: The Heart of the World by Michael Tillotson

Post by Rayah Raouf »

I do feel that it is important to form your own opinions. I wouldn't like to read something like that. Still, thank you for reviewing the book. :)
Memories are dangerous things. You turn them over and over, until you know every touch and corner, but still you'll find an edge to cut you.― Mark Lawrence, Prince of Thorns
Eddy E
Currently Reading: In the Meantime
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eddy-e.html
Latest Review: Sena's Black Ross by Linda k jones

Post by Eddy E »

This sounds like a such nice book to read, it touches many peoples truth and the plight of women in such abusive relationship. A good support system really does matter.
63tty
Favorite Author: Tayma Tameem
Currently Reading: Killing Abel
Bookshelf Size: 349
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-63tty.html
Latest Review: The Maestro Monologue by Rob White
fav_author_id: 199293

Post by 63tty »

This storyline sounds captivating. Great review. I'd like to read this book now. I want to know how it goes for her.
“If love is the answer, could you rephrase the question?”
~Lily Tomlin
smolbird
Favorite Author: Rick Riordan
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 264
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-smolbird.html
Latest Review: Pariah by Robert C. Swetz
fav_author_id: 2909

Post by smolbird »

The book's plot is very interesting because while this book revolves around a fictional couple, it's also the reality of many people who are unfortunately subjected to the manipulation and gaslighting of narcissistic partners.
"It does not do well to dwell on dreams and forget to live." - Albus Dumbledore
Yvonne Monique
Favorite Book: To Sleep in a Sea of Stars
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 102
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-yvonne-monique.html
Latest Review: Healing Depression by C. Daley

Post by Yvonne Monique »

Narcissism receives more and more attention nowadays, so this book covers an up-to-date issue. Congratulations with this great review.
SamaylaM
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 79
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-samaylam.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by SamaylaM »

The plot seems to have a lot of depth and a great message. It's commendable of the author to let you read the updated version of his work, rectifying the editorial mistakes. I would surely like to know more about Charlie. Thanks for a well-written and nice review!

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”