Official Review: FoxHide by John C. Hill

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
ciecheesemeister
Favorite Author: Jude Austin
Currently Reading: Homer, A Constant Companion.
Bookshelf Size: 724
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ciecheesemeister.html
Latest Review: Wild World by Peter S. Rush
fav_author_id: 165843

Official Review: FoxHide by John C. Hill

Post by ciecheesemeister »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "FoxHide" by John C. Hill.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

FoxHide is a novella by John C. Hill. It tells the story of a family of foxes: DaddyFox, MommaFox, and their three kits: Strike, Pawz, and BoomBoom. The story is told from the point of view of the middle brother, Pawz.

FoxHide might, on the surface, appear to be a children’s story, but it really isn’t. There is no strong language and no gratuitous violence or erotic scenes, but the creative wordplay and the way the story is told would be confusing for younger kids. The story does contain adult themes and a fair amount of peril for the foxes trying to avoid humans and their dogs or predatory animals such as coyotes, and for animals such as pigeons and rabbits that are hunted by the foxes.

Because of the deliberate creative spelling, it was a little difficult to determine if the book was professionally edited. It is my opinion that it was because the story was cohesive and flowed well. There was a lot of action going on, but one scene led to another in ways that made sense. I never found myself feeling lost or wondering how a character came to be in a new situation.

My favorite aspects of the book were the dynamics between the fox family members and the fact that the author addressed the unnecessary peril that foxes face due to human activities such as hunting and trapping. Fox hunting is a cruel practice that should be abolished, as should traps. Fur garments are an unnecessary luxury item in the modern world, and it would be preferable for farmers and ranchers to utilize non-lethal methods to keep predators away from livestock such as chickens.

My only complaint about the book was the fact that it was not broken into chapters. It read like one extremely long chapter and I did not care for that format. Since I have various tasks that I need to attend to on any given day, it is helpful to have chapter breaks in a longer story. Admissibly, this is a personal preference, but I believe that many readers would agree with me.

I give FoxHide four out of four stars. The creative spelling will not be to every reader’s taste, but I thought that it was entertaining, and it worked well with the story. The author captured the clever and playful nature of foxes in the narrative. The characters were compelling and, overall, the book was quite a fun read. I recommend the story for animal lovers who enjoy imaginative storytelling.

FoxHide
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Petruschka1
Currently Reading: India in Chaos
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-petruschka1.html
Latest Review: Watchwords (black and white) by Philip Neal Gatter

Post by Petruschka1 »

Fur garments are indeed unnecessary luxury items. There should be less cruel ways of dealing with an overpopulation of foxes than fox hunts or traps. I also prefer a longer story to be divided into separate chapters. This form and structure make it easier to keep up with the story.
Sakura5
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sakura5.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Knights of Chalethire by Matthew Tysz

Post by Sakura5 »

From your description, this seems an original and interesting book. I agree with you though, having a book divided into chapters is useful for readers, as it helps to keep the pace of the reading. Thanks for your suggestion!
MarveeAman
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 37
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marveeaman.html
Latest Review: Worldlines by Adam Guest

Post by MarveeAman »

This sounds interesting. Except Animal Farm, I have never read animal narrative books I hope this,too, won't disappoint me.
Samantha Simoneau
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 240
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-samantha-simoneau.html
Latest Review: Dancing With Jesus by Allison Broughton
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Samantha Simoneau »

Interesting! I misjudged this one due to the cover. The "creative spelling" probably would drive me crazy, though. I really enjoyed your review!
Samantha Simoneau

“But upon the stage of life, while conscience claps, let the world hiss! On the contrary if conscience disapproves, the loudest applauses of the world are of little value."
~John Adams :greetings-clapyellow:
LeighBee
Currently Reading: Mistborn
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-leighbee.html
Latest Review: To Own Two Suns by F. E. Tabor

Post by LeighBee »

What does the fox say? I guess this book tells us. :) I would like to see how the author used creative spelling and if it was effective or not. I enjoy it when an author has a strong enough command of language that they can bend and break it, creatively.

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”