Official Review: The Lonely Americans by William Atlas

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Sam Ibeh
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 459
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sam-ibeh.html
Latest Review: The vampires: Sodom and Gomorrah by Levănt DuPrae

Official Review: The Lonely Americans by William Atlas

Post by Sam Ibeh »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Lonely Americans" by William Atlas.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Lonely Americans by William Atlas follows the ebb and flow of life in the French city of Rennes, where love, youth, and obsessions collide. Paul, a lonely American, is entangled in a love affair with a free-spirited French woman. On the other side of his apartment wall, his lonely neighbor, fueled by the scent and sounds that sip through their thin wall, becomes a secret third party to this clandestine affair. And thus, the obsessions — one from love and the other from curiosity — lead to lies and betrayals.

Paul and Adam, apart from being Americans, have much more in common. They are foreigners and neighbors. At first, they are drawn to each other by their similarities, but their experiences and expectations are worlds apart. Paul, a language lover, thrilled with the idea of love, and a hopeless romantic, faces the adult decision of finding his own way against the pushes and pulls of liberal culture and a conservative family. Adam, a rational, curious, and vengeful guy, tries to find a balance between his loyalty to a fellow countryman and his fears of being overshadowed.

The Lonely Americans is artistic as it is romantic. It is a modern narrative at the core of a bustling French city. The author's descriptive ability creates a vivid image of the social lives of the young and ordinary. The narrative style is unique. A character within the story narrates the story from his own experiences and the bits and pieces of imagination, third-party narratives, and lucid dreams. Although this book isn't fast-paced or filled with suspense, there seems to be a build-up to something. It creates a sense of nostalgia, as it plays into the ideas of a typical French life. The characters are simple in their demands and yet complex in their ideas — a perfect blend of realism.

Apart from the notable narrative style, the extensive use of conversations, inlaid with French, gives the characters a more realistic outlook. The reader gets to know and connect with the characters from how they speak and draw conclusions on each character's personality. The language is simple and flows naturally, although basic knowledge of French will make for a more seamless read. If a reader is familiar with Rennes and its streets, it will be more fun and nostalgic navigating those streets with the characters.

The fact that the errors in this book are minimal attests to the professionalism of the editors. I recommend this book to readers who love a blend of realism and romance and readers who love modern narratives. Travelers, especially to France, might also want to check it out to get a feel of the French culture. Considering the heavy erotic content of this book, ideal readers must be sixteen years and above.

I am tempted to remove a point from this book because of its theme. There were spaces for deeper complex interactions to happen, but the author chose to keep it simple. However, this genre might still appeal to certain readers. Keeping aside personal sentiments, I rate this book a 4 out of 4. Its narrative style, vivid imagery, and realism definitely have a lot to offer.

The Lonely Americans
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Smmwallace
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 140
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-smmwallace.html
Latest Review: Cosmander and The Crown by Meade Summers

Post by Smmwallace »

This book sounds like it could be on the big screen. What an intriguing storyline, it feels like it would be artistic and complex. Your review was a pleasure to read; thank you!
Arpita Choudhari
Currently Reading: 11 Before 12
Bookshelf Size: 6

Post by Arpita Choudhari »

Duh! this book sounds so cool , I liked the review a lot and it's awesome. It should get popular
Phoenix_ Thompson
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-phoenix-thompson.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End by Matthew Tysz

Post by Phoenix_ Thompson »

Indeed, this book should be on screen, I'm also thrilled to read it myself.
Kavita Shah
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Spellbound - The Workings of Drugtech
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 188
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kavita-shah.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Kavita Shah »

It sounds complex. If only I knew little more French then maybe I would have been somewhat willing to read this. Thank you for reviewing this book.

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”