Official Review: Of Love and Deception by Kayla Lowe

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Bertha Jackson
Bookshelves Moderator
Favorite Book: Launchpad Republic: America's Entrepreneurial Edge and Why It Matters
Currently Reading: Life at the Precipice
Bookshelf Size: 755
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bertha-jackson.html
Latest Review: Embrace Your Age by JAMES B. FLAHERTY ... An octogenarian with a bright future.

Official Review: Of Love and Deception by Kayla Lowe

Post by Bertha Jackson »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Of Love and Deception" by Kayla Lowe.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Of Love and Deception by Kayla Lowe is Book 1 of the Tainted Love series. Sarah and Addison are cousins, who were born around the same time, and have always been best friends. Addison is a Duranies (Duran Duran fan) and Sarah is a Phan (Phantom of the Opera fan). They go away to a college close to a military base and live in a dorm where they have internet access for the first time. Both girls have always been excellent students, and they go home every other weekend. They set up their first social media accounts on their new laptops. Neither of them uses their real photos or names. Sarah gets an email from a 30-year-old man from Florida who identifies himself as “YOUR PHANTOM LOVER.” He always types in all caps and calls her “HIS PHANTOM ROSE.” They start communicating daily via email, and he talks her into roleplaying with him. Sarah tells Addison about Bruce and finds out Addison has met someone online too. What does a 30-year-old man have in common with an 18-year-old girl? What are their parents going to say about them meeting men online?

I like multiple things about this book. Firstly, the character development allows the reader to picture the characters and get to know them personally. Secondly, the author interspersed humor within the seriousness of the topic. I laughed when Hammy, the hamster, got loose and ran around Sarah and Addison’s dorm room. I could see it happening. Thirdly, the book made me think about things I did not tell my parents. Are omissions of information lies? I did not think so at the time, but I probably would if my children did the same to me. Finally, I liked that Bruce’s emails were in caps and Sarah’s were in italics. These different fonts made it easier for me to keep track of who was typing what.

The only thing I disliked about the book was the ending. I will not be specific about what I disliked about the end because it would be a spoiler but suffice it to say that I wish things had turned out differently. Now I need to read the second book.

The book has several errors that a professional editor would have found. Other than these errors, this is a well-written book that is full of suspense and drama. Overall, I enjoyed the book and will give it 3 out of 4 stars. If it were not for the errors, the book would warrant the maximum number of stars.

I recommend this book to teenagers and older, who like romance novels full of suspense and drama. The non-borderline profanity content will only offend the most sensitive of readers.

Of Love and Deception
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Bertha R. Jackson :D
Book Reviewer at OnlineBookClub.org
GreatReviews
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-greatreviews.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End by Matthew Tysz

Post by GreatReviews »

Almost everyone has done this: omissions of information. It's true that we would like to call it smart communication. Even me, I believed it's wisdom to be quiet or omit an information when I don't wanna lie. "Are omissions of information lies?" this takes thought. thanks for the review.
Pluma
Favorite Book: Wonks
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pluma.html
Latest Review: Tales of the 70's by D.Done

Post by Pluma »

This sounds like an intriguing read. I like how the book makes you think of aspects of your own life, as books that do this are always more interesting. Thanks for the great review!
Kennedy NC
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 128
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kennedy-nc.html
Latest Review: Bluewater Walkabout by Tina Dreffin

Post by Kennedy NC »

Two girls who are excellent students meeting a random guy online. What happens next? Would surely want to find out. Great review.
Heidadela
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-heidadela.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Heidadela »

I would love to read this fascinating story. As a parent, i am always concerned too about my children omitting details in their recounts of their lives. Thanks for an amazing review.
Vogan
Favorite Author: L.J Smith
Currently Reading: Fatal Flaws
Bookshelf Size: 64
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vogan.html
Latest Review: The Prodigy Slave, Book One: Journey to Winter Garden by Londyn Skye
fav_author_id: 4017

Post by Vogan »

I can't wait to start reading this, errors don't really bother me. Thanks for the review. :)
Amrita B
Currently Reading: Purges of the Soul
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amrita-b.html
Latest Review: The Prodigy Slave, Book One: Journey to Winter Garden by Londyn Skye

Post by Amrita B »

Wow ! What a great review . Your review surely provoked me to wonder what actually have happened in the end between that girl of 18 and a man of 30 . Very excited to read this book . Thank you for this wonderful review once again .
onyii_review
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-onyii-review.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler

Post by onyii_review »

This is a book a teenager would love to read. Thanks for the review.
Uzzy_Reviews

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”