Official Review: Journeys from the Viewing Pool

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
mmm17
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 262
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mmm17.html
Latest Review: Broke Open by Lela Becker

Official Review: Journeys from the Viewing Pool

Post by mmm17 »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Journeys from the Viewing Pool" by William J Monihan.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

In an esoteric, ethereal, other-worldly setting, the protagonist, Noadiah, is searching for his beloved Ilana, his other half, who went looking for a “Broader Spectrum of Light.” Lonely and desolate, he leaves his home and scales a mountain in pursuit of answers to his many questions. There, someone named Joshua tells him that he’s supposed to undertake journeys to the physical world. To achieve this, he must observe a reflection of his true self in a special body of water known as “the Viewing Pool,” and a man called Tobias is supposed to guide him in these journeys. From this point, Noadiah embarks on several lives across space and time.

For starters, I appreciated the author’s writing style; it was vivid and graceful, skillfully transporting readers to the story’s ambiance. I, for one, felt immersed in the book’s mystical atmosphere. A good example is the description of The Argonaut Café (good name, by the way), “with its cross-beamed ceiling, an amber glow from alabaster lamps, mahogany tables, velvet-covered chairs, and the ever-present enchanting notes from the pianist.” It was dreamy.

Above all, I thought that the plot was the book’s strongest suit. As the narrative progresses, what began as a seemingly unpretentious fable turns into a far richer novel about the meaning of life. The author weaves a delightful web that connects each life the protagonist lives, and each subplot is well developed in itself, with panoramic historical and cultural backgrounds. For instance, during his life as Miriam, around the time of the First Crusade, he experiences a life full of hardships and struggles. In Thomas's journey, he falls madly in love with Anne, but feudalism in Europe makes their underprivileged life burdensome, and Thomas has a terrible demise. As Sophie Anne Grünewald, the protagonist is born in Strasbourg, a town near the German frontier. These rich backdrops were what I liked the most.

Unfortunately, the book is not in its final editorial form. It needs another round of editing, for I found several errors in the manuscript. Unfortunately, there were enough editing errors to warrant the removal of a star. This aspect was the only negative worth mentioning. These errors, however, did not detract from the story’s clarity and flow.

Therefore, I rate Journeys from the Viewing Pool, written by William J. Monihan, 3 out of 4 stars. It is an imaginative and charming story that I enjoyed reading. I believe it will appeal to readers who enjoy mystical, supernatural narratives that elicit a bit of soul searching. However, it may hold less appeal to readers who dislike magical elements and feel put off by the idea of reincarnation.

Journeys from the Viewing Pool
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on Smashwords
LeighBee
Currently Reading: Mistborn
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-leighbee.html
Latest Review: To Own Two Suns by F. E. Tabor

Post by LeighBee »

Thank you for this review. I have found that the lack of access to professional editors doesn't detract from my enjoyment while reading, and the premise of the novel sounds unique and engaging. This sounds like a good one for me.
AntonelaMaria
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 417
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-antonelamaria.html
Latest Review: Voices of liberty in tribute to the American revolution by Robert Keiper

Post by AntonelaMaria »

This sounds like a really atmospheric book. What an interesting plotline!! I don't mind editing errors but I understand the removal of the star because of it. I hope the author will rectify it. Great review!!
“Those who don’t believe in magic will never find it.”
The Minpins by Roald Dahl

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”