Official Review: Rough Way to the High Way

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Sam Ibeh
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 459
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sam-ibeh.html
Latest Review: The vampires: Sodom and Gomorrah by Levănt DuPrae

Official Review: Rough Way to the High Way

Post by Sam Ibeh »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Rough Way to the High Way" by Kelly Mack McCoy.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Rough Way to the High Way by Kelly Mack McCoy is the intriguing story of a truck driver who encounters several unnerving challenges on his way to Chicago to make a delivery.

Mack, a former pastor, takes up truck driving. On his way to the slaughterhouse to pick up meat, he sees a hitchhiker. He feels compelled to pick him up but doesn't. He sees him again and picks him up. On their way, they almost collide with a slow-moving combine, which causes Mack to swerve fatally. The hitchhiker accuses Mack of swerving violently on purpose. He introduces himself as Ricky, and they finally stop at a truck stop, where Mack checks his load. Ricky tells Mack that he'll clean up and join him at the coffee shop. Mack then walks to the coffee shop to wait for Ricky. There, several disturbing events unfold, causing Mack to wonder if he has made a costly mistake.

The author tells an exciting story about a pastor-turned-truck-driver who encounters a whole lot of terrifying incidents on his way to Chicago to make a meat delivery. He tells the story in a way that helps the reader envision the different unfolding scenarios. Through his story, he reminds the reader of the very existence of the "Most High God," whose hand is upon the lives of his people. He also illustrates God's ability to salvage every situation and come through for those who rely on him.

I found the book intriguing and full of suspense. Due to its suspense level, I couldn't guess subsequent outcomes or pinpoint the story's real villain. However, this only served to increase my interest in the book, and as a result, I could hardly wait to turn over to the next page and read about Mack's latest discovery. The entire story was like one gigantic and challenging puzzle that Mack, the protagonist, had to solve to find peace. The surprising turnout of events in the story showcased the author's imaginative abilities. I was particularly entertained by the author's naming of some of his minor characters based on their looks, mannerisms, and countenances.

I didn't dislike anything about the book. The author did an excellent job in his characterization. This made it easy to relate to and understand the interactions of his characters with one another. I found Mack intriguing, while Garb was friendly, accommodating, and entertaining.

There were minimal errors in the book, which led me to believe it had been professionally edited. Due to the above positives, I'd rate it 4 out of 4 stars. It was indeed a fantastic read, and I'd readily recommend it to lovers of adventure stories and Christian books.

Rough Way to the High Way
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
ikechukwuamarachi+55
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 323
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ikechukwuamarachi-55.html
Latest Review: The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci by Belle Ami

Post by ikechukwuamarachi+55 »

Sometimes, mysteries unfold when we least expect. I will like to know some of Mack's discoveries. The book seems amazing and such a nice review.
Suzer6440 xyz
Favorite Book: Pearl River Mansion
Currently Reading: Five Total Strangers
Bookshelf Size: 201
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-suzer6440-xyz.html
Latest Review: The Maestro Monologue by Rob White

Post by Suzer6440 xyz »

I think Mack is someone I want to read more about. This review captures my interest. Thank you!
Randydm
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Randydm »

Seems interested,as I always say everyone need a push now an again.
Aan Granados
Currently Reading: Massacre Rocks
Bookshelf Size: 873
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aan-granados.html
Latest Review: The Vanished by Pejay Bradley

Post by Aan Granados »

I am intrigued about what happened while Mack was in the coffee shop. Is Ricky a bad guy? Can't wait to read this. Thanks for your review.
AntonelaMaria
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 417
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-antonelamaria.html
Latest Review: Voices of liberty in tribute to the American revolution by Robert Keiper

Post by AntonelaMaria »

The premise of this book sounds like a thriller novel. I didn't expect it to be faith-related book. Amazing job with the review.
“Those who don’t believe in magic will never find it.”
The Minpins by Roald Dahl
Sjakie van den Berg

Post by Sjakie van den Berg »

Seems interesting, I wonder what is going to happen to Mack.
Arafat Sanni

Post by Arafat Sanni »

This review describes how we question ourselves if we are taking the right step or not whenever a situation occurs. I’d like to follow up on the discoveries of Mack and also read up on the love and favors God has upon those who calls upon him. Thanks for the review. I’m looking forward to reading this!
María Andrea Fernández Sepúlveda
Favorite Author: Kristin Hannah
Favorite Book: The Nightingale
Currently Reading: Las chicas de Angel Creek
Bookshelf Size: 2397
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mar-a-andrea-fern-ndez-sep-lveda.html
Latest Review: You Say Goodbye by Keith Steinbaum
fav_author_id: 5604

Post by María Andrea Fernández Sepúlveda »

The entire story was like one gigantic and challenging puzzle that Mack, the protagonist, had to solve to find peace. The surprising turnout of events in the story showcased the author's imaginative abilities. I was particularly entertained by the author's naming of some of his minor characters based on their looks, mannerisms, and countenances.
I guess all of our lives are just one big quest for peace. But the story of Mack seems particularly original, and I like it when authors use quirky narrative tools. I don't care much for religious books, but this one seems to be, at least, different from most.
Thank you for your review.
gen_g
Currently Reading: 1984
Bookshelf Size: 104
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gen-g.html
Latest Review: The Diary That Will Change Your Lives Forever by Georgios Zelelidis

Post by gen_g »

This definitely sounds like a well-paced piece of suspense writing! It'd definitely be interesting to read about the various incidents encountered when Mack is trying to make a meat delivery, although I have to say that I tend to be cautious about reading books with strong religious themes. Thanks for the review.
Astral Magi
Favorite Book: Name of the Wind
Currently Reading: Crossroads
Bookshelf Size: 523
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-astral-magi.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by Astral Magi »

Although I like the promise of adventure, religious-based stories are not for me. Thanks for a great review.
🕉Be Here Now⌛
Roy Nick
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 323
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-roy-nick.html
Latest Review: East of Troost by Ellen Barker

Post by Roy Nick »

Seems like an interesting book to read. How will it go for Ricky and Mack? Can't wait to read.
Brenda Creech
Favorite Author: Mary Pat Ferron Caines
Favorite Book: The Reel Sisters
Currently Reading: Rainbow’s End
Bookshelf Size: 357
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-brenda-creech.html
Latest Review: Was She Crying for Me? by Jerry Hyde
fav_author_id: 253250

Post by Brenda Creech »

This sounds like a book I would enjoy. Mack sounds like a great character. I am curious about Ricky. If seems like Mack's problems started when he picked Ricky up. I will have to check this one out! Thanks for the excellent review!
B. Creech
"Like beauty in the eyes, the divinity of the rose may be in the nose that smells it, and the lover that beholds it." Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
Harty Muli
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 273
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-harty-muli.html
Latest Review: Singularity by Jayme A. Oliveira Filho

Post by Harty Muli »

I like suspenseful boos and I look forward to reading it. Great review.
DEEPA PUJARI
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 60
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-deepa-pujari.html
Latest Review: Seemore the Seagull by Ralph Tufo
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by DEEPA PUJARI »

This is a book about a truck drivers journey while delivering a package. Congratulations BOTD !

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”