Official Review: A Rustling of Wings by Cynthia Jean DeLuca

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Theresa Moffitt
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 295
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-theresa-moffitt.html
Latest Review: Royal Gossip by Trisha Goodwin
2024 Reading Goal: 20
2024 Goal Completion: 35%

Official Review: A Rustling of Wings by Cynthia Jean DeLuca

Post by Theresa Moffitt »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "A Rustling of Wings" by Cynthia Jean DeLuca.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

A Rustling of Wings by Cynthia Jean DeLuca is a touching collection of fictional short stories. The author’s great-grandson, Skyler, died when he was twenty-nine days old. The author writes letters to Skyler in Heaven and he writes letters back to her in response. He describes Heaven and meeting Jesus. He also describes meeting animals every day at the rainbow bridge to help them enter Heaven. The exchanges are sweet and filled with love. In addition to the letters exchanged between them, the author also writes about the deaths of her sister and mother. The constant theme throughout the stories is faith.

Skyler raises interesting topics with his great-grandmother. He asks about people on Earth and how they don’t love one another like people do in Heaven. They discuss holidays and the religious significance of Easter and Christmas. The author discusses the power of prayer. She also has a grandson, Zach, who has mental health issues and she prays for a pleasant visit with him before she leaves for the hospital. She also prays for signs from God that her loved ones are safe and happy. She describes many times when she has seen signs in the form of cardinals singing in her window or swooping down in her path. Her faith is strong and carries her through the difficulties of grief and loss.

I enjoyed reading this touching book. Grief is universal. Most people will experience some form of grief in their lifetime. It is extremely difficult to process loss, especially of someone so young. To lose a baby at twenty-nine days old is unimaginable. The author expresses herself through her writing in a loving way. Her descriptions of Heaven through the eyes of a child are heartwarming and emotional. She describes events happening on Earth only to learn that Skyler has been watching these same events from Heaven. I believe this book will be helpful to readers who have experienced grief. It is filled with hope and faith. The descriptions of Heaven and the angels are comforting.

What I liked most about the book was the honesty of the author when discussing her grief. She is very open about her feelings and working through her loss. She includes memories of her mother and grandmother that are relatable. It is refreshing to see an honest discussion of loss and grieving that is positive and hopeful. There was nothing I disliked about the book. Each chapter is only a few pages long and covers one topic or letter exchange at a time.

I saw a few minor errors in the book that didn’t take away my enjoyment, so I believe it was professionally edited. I recommend this book to anyone who is suffering through grief and looking for hope. The book will be relatable because it is written by someone who has experienced grief. The book focuses heavily on religion with some Bible quotes and references to Jesus and Heaven in almost every chapter. So, I don’t believe someone without religious beliefs would enjoy this book. For the reasons given, I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars.

A Rustling of Wings
View: on Bookshelves
GreatReviews
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-greatreviews.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End by Matthew Tysz

Post by GreatReviews »

This book should be right up my ally. I love reading christian books. Especially, this discussing faith amid grief
Pluma
Favorite Book: Wonks
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pluma.html
Latest Review: Tales of the 70's by D.Done

Post by Pluma »

This sounds like a touching and relevant book. It seems like the author did a great job of exploring faith and grief through a unique standpoint. Thanks for the great review!
Jennifer Garcia 555
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: Vagabond
Bookshelf Size: 64
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jennifer-garcia-555.html
Latest Review: Somebody’s Watching You by Robin D'Amato

Post by Jennifer Garcia 555 »

The loss of a child would be really hard for anyone to deal with. This author seems to have found a creative way to help deal with grief. It sounds like a wonderful book that will maybe strengthen your faith.
“Isn’t it nice to think that tomorrow is a new day with no mistakes in it yet?” — L. M. Montgomery
Goral
Currently Reading: A Brief History of Time
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-goral.html
Latest Review: Worldlines by Adam Guest

Post by Goral »

This is something totally different and unique among the books that we commonly read! I'm eager to read the book after reading your review! Thanks for the review!
You can't buy happiness but you can buy books, and that's kind of the same thing
jomana_3
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 77
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jomana-3.html
Latest Review: Terms of Service by Craig W. Stanfill

Post by jomana_3 »

This book seems like a good read and a sentimental journey for people who have suffered the loss of someone beloved.
Vkaur
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vkaur.html
Latest Review: Heroes of Atlantis by Ryan Carriere

Post by Vkaur »

While I am not religious, this sounds very fascinating. This reminds me of the time I read "Uncle Tom's Cabin", which contains many religious references, but it captures hope during suffering so powerfully. Based on your review, I feel that the author’s honest depiction of their own feelings is like a gift to those that have experienced grief. Certainly seems praiseworthy. Lovely review!
Suzer6440 xyz
Favorite Book: Pearl River Mansion
Currently Reading: Five Total Strangers
Bookshelf Size: 201
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-suzer6440-xyz.html
Latest Review: The Maestro Monologue by Rob White

Post by Suzer6440 xyz »

I’m anxious to read this -loss is difficult and this book seems as though it is honest and true to self .
Albaou Amira
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 8
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-albaou-amira.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Albaou Amira »

Sounds like a touching and emotional book. Connecting with the ones we have lost sounds like an interesting take on handling grief.

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”