Official Review: Milepost 271 by George Conner

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
AvidBibliophile
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Gold Digger
Bookshelf Size: 480
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-avidbibliophile.html
Latest Review: How I Became Santa Clause by Chris Kringle

Official Review: Milepost 271 by George Conner

Post by AvidBibliophile »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Milepost 271" by George Conner.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Some collisions are unavoidable. Other mishaps are preventable entirely. High-speed accidents often cause vehicular fatalities, but a handful of victims miraculously survive. Desolate stretches of rural roadways tell stories, but highly congested thoroughfares go on to quickly tell the rest. When an unforeseen tragedy strikes, grief quickly becomes a heavy burden to bear, and one life goes on while another is cut short.

Milepost 271 by George Conner is categorized as a work of fiction, but the characters and storylines were inspired by true events. The story begins in the year 2046, along a stretch of well-traveled interstate in Nevada. This glimpse into the not-so-distant future suggests that cigarettes have been banned and gas-powered engines have been outlawed. The main character of the tale is an elderly, chain-smoking man named Joe. He stops for a short time with his trusty truck and vintage motorcycle to reflect and reminisce. As his mind drifts back to his younger days, readers join him on several memorable adventures that took place in South Carolina in 1972. The moments he spent with his friend, Dan, were some of the wildest (and happiest) days of his life. As a couple of rabble-rousing rebels, they orchestrated some illegal schemes and questionable tactics, but their shared love of moonshine fueled their defiant souls.

This story honors the spirit of camaraderie and the unbreakable bonds built between military brothers. Readers will experience life in the barracks, morning muster, weapons facilities, trips to the PX, and rank demotions. These young soldiers enact a wide variety of pranks and leave the base on many occasions to take part in some public intoxication. The tale eventually concludes with an act of heroism and a gift passed on. The final scene of the book is the portion that leaves a permanent memory affixed to the stretch of road that's specifically mentioned in the book's title.

Throughout this 110-page novel, I did encounter several grammatical and typographical errors, so I feel that this book could benefit from a thorough editorial revision. As the sections jumped back and forth between the two separate timeframes, I did, at times, feel that the overall transitions were somewhat choppy and abrupt. These were the only aspects of the story I disliked, though. Themes of political displeasure, rights of equality, and unlawful censorship occurred amidst feelings of uncertainty, resentment, and regret.

I feel this book would be appropriate for most adult audiences. There is a frequent presence of crude language, raunchy jokes, sexual innuendos, and dirty song lyrics, but there are no descriptively intimate scenes or strongly religious viewpoints. I would recommend this book to anyone affiliated with the Aviation Ordnance division of the United States Marine Corps (USMC). It could also be enjoyed by any mature reader who enjoys tales involving marijuana, morphine, and rum-running maneuvers.

I award this book a rating of 3 out of 4 stars. Conner served in the military for 20 years, so all of his poignant accounts of USMC life were authentically genuine and realistically representative. He reminds us to make reparations. He reminds us to right our wrongs. He reminds us to remember. So on your future drives, if you happen to spot a makeshift cross or a decorated milepost marker along the side of the road, take a moment to quietly regard the untimely loss of a wayward soul. Some friends may be gone, but they’ll never be forgotten.

Milepost 271
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
RetiredOBNurse
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by RetiredOBNurse »

I like the aspect of right your wrongs and always remember even the littlest things in life that maybe don't seem important at the time. I am sure his journey has been one hell of a ride and I won’t look at another makeshift cross on the roadside in quite the same way after reading your review... Thank you for opening my eyes a little wider. What this book intended to do, you brought to life and I’m sure the author is proud.
AvidBibliophile

RetiredOBNurse wrote: 24 Jan 2021, 00:27 I like the aspect of right your wrongs and always remember even the littlest things in life that maybe don't seem important at the time. I am sure his journey has been one hell of a ride and I won’t look at another makeshift cross on the roadside in quite the same way after reading your review... Thank you for opening my eyes a little wider. What this book intended to do, you brought to life and I’m sure the author is proud.
Well I greatly appreciate your kind words of sympathetic understanding about this meaningful storyline. I truly feel that this author was able to cathartically share some memories about an old friend throughout these pages. May all makeshift crosses trigger some small sense of respect for lives lost. 🙏🏼
Victoria Copsey
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-victoria-copsey.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by Victoria Copsey »

A really insightful and compelling reviw. Well done!
AvidBibliophile

Victoria Copsey wrote: 24 Jan 2021, 14:07 A really insightful and compelling review. Well done!
Thanks so much! Appreciate you coming by to read and comment. It was a unique story for sure.
Sou Hi
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 154
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sou-hi.html
Latest Review: Project Tau by Jude Austin

Post by Sou Hi »

Thanks for your throughout review. This sounds like an emotional book about the lives of soldiers and their brotherhood. While I'm interested in the military aspect, I'm not really enjoying the drug-involving stuff.
AvidBibliophile

Sou Hi wrote: 24 Jan 2021, 21:48 Thanks for your throughout review. This sounds like an emotional book about the lives of soldiers and their brotherhood. While I'm interested in the military aspect, I'm not really enjoying the drug-involving stuff.
Totally appreciate you checking it out! Emotional and memorable indeed (and very accurate in every way).

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”