Official Review: Atonement Camp for Unrepentant Homophobes

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Sam Ibeh
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 459
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sam-ibeh.html
Latest Review: The vampires: Sodom and Gomorrah by Levănt DuPrae

Official Review: Atonement Camp for Unrepentant Homophobes

Post by Sam Ibeh »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Atonement Camp for Unrepentant Homophobes" by Evan J. Corbin.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

We usually hold so tightly to our convictions that we don't allow room for anything else. One message that is being passed across more often nowadays is one of acceptance and love for all kinds of people, even those we consider "different." However, people are naturally resistant to change, and Atonement Camp for Unrepentant Homophobes by Evan J. Corbin unusually demonstrates this resistance. It also shows what happens when we stop hiding behind lies and self-deception to love ourselves and others honestly.

Rick Harris, a young pastor, gets sent to a camp for Homophobes because he preached against homosexuality. Sticking to his father's teaching, he pays no mind to the new state of the world where homosexuality is accepted and celebrated. Rick maintains his stance, even when some of his church members are declaring themselves gay and throwing "coming out" parties. He is threatened with losing his position as a pastor if he doesn't attend the camp. Therefore, Rick reluctantly makes his way to the airport with almost his entire wardrobe for a two-week stay in Virginia. He believes homosexuality is an abomination and will be punished by God, and nothing will change his mind about that. What he does not know is that those two weeks will be pivotal in his life.

This book was well written, with humor, wit, and spark that made it very interesting to read. The author's descriptions made the book very lively and brought life to it. For instance, Rick and Jimmy's first meeting with the drag queens would have been ordinary under different circumstances. But, the way the author described their attire and demeanor made it more memorable and hilarious. These kinds of moments were abundant in the book. It was effortless for me to visualize the scenes, as they flowed smoothly. I wasn't lost at any point.

The characters were very authentic, and they each brought some quality that made the book a good read. I loved how they were not described plainly. Reading the book, the reader would understand each of them and know the qualities that made them unique. For instance, the main character, Rick, had so many moral issues he was battling. However, he still stood for something. So many people would relate to his personality. This was my favorite aspect of the book.

I found the storyline unique, and I loved the way the plot unfolded. There was a trace of suspense that made me anticipate its ending, and the climax was very satisfying. The whole book was very well thought out and made for an exciting read.

However, I had an issue with the plot. It was a tad biased. People who are not part or supportive of the LGBT community might not enjoy this book. It also might be offensive to most homophobic Christians. The book was biased against them and favored the LGBT community. I also didn't find some part of the storyline realistic, especially the New Revelation itself. Also, Garrett's involvement with a professor, being sent to the camp, and meeting Rick seemed too much coincident.

I found very few errors; the book appeared to be professionally edited. I'd, therefore, rate it 3 out of 4 stars. I took away one star because of the bias in the storyline. I'd recommend it to anybody who enjoys humor, romance, and thoughtful, poignant stories. However, if you'd be offended by a story that unabashedly promotes gay relationships, I wouldn't recommend this book to you.

Atonement Camp for Unrepentant Homophobes
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Rodel Barnachea
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Author: Lemony Snicket
Currently Reading: The Unfakeable Code®
Bookshelf Size: 85
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rodel-barnachea.html
Latest Review: An Accessible Iliad by Emer Jackson
fav_author_id: 5004

Post by Rodel Barnachea »

I'm quite intrigued as to the extent of bias against homophobes. Can you give an example?
María Andrea Fernández Sepúlveda
Favorite Author: Kristin Hannah
Favorite Book: The Nightingale
Currently Reading: Las chicas de Angel Creek
Bookshelf Size: 2397
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mar-a-andrea-fern-ndez-sep-lveda.html
Latest Review: You Say Goodbye by Keith Steinbaum
fav_author_id: 5604

Post by María Andrea Fernández Sepúlveda »

However, I had an issue with the plot. It was a tad biased. People who are not part or supportive of the LGBT community might not enjoy this book. It also might be offensive to most homophobic Christians. The book was biased against them and favored the LGBT community.
I wish you would've expanded this point. How can it be biased when they're the ones being discriminative in the first place? Perhaps the author failed to explain how homophobic Christians think?
Yvonne Monique
Favorite Book: To Sleep in a Sea of Stars
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 102
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-yvonne-monique.html
Latest Review: Healing Depression by C. Daley

Post by Yvonne Monique »

The book title is definitely a highly original one but it wasn't quite clear what kind of book this would be. Your review made that clear, though!
PeterRabitt20
Currently Reading: Verity
Bookshelf Size: 127
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-peterrabitt20.html
Latest Review: The Power Of Our Inner Gremlins by Suzanne Daplyn

Post by PeterRabitt20 »

I applaud you for the fair and honest review. I have to say the title of the book spoke loudly. The book sounds like a great choice for discussion in book clubs. Thanks for your review.

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”