Official Review: The Mariner's Grandson by Milan Gupta

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Ria710
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 166
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ria710.html
Latest Review: The Magic Lantern by Charles Townsend

Official Review: The Mariner's Grandson by Milan Gupta

Post by Ria710 »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Mariner's Grandson" by Milan Gupta.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Mariner’s Grandson by Milan Gupta is a novel that contains a mix of mystery and romance. Duncan Craig recently turned fifty years old. Instead of enjoying this happy moment, he discovers that he has pancreatic cancer. Duncan lives a lonely life. He has been divorced for six years, and he had lost his son at the age of two months. His dating life is also non-existent.

What happens when he grabs the attention of two women? Both want to be with him. One is a beautiful waitress, and the other is a colleague. Who will he choose? If this wasn’t enough, he recently found out that a man claiming to be his son had visited his father at the nursing home. Who is this son? Is Duncan’s family keeping secrets from him? And will he find out the truth?

What I liked about the book was that it’s told in the first person. This is great because I got to understand Duncan’s thoughts and feelings. This also meant that I was able to experience the situations along with him. The story is also told in the third-person perspective. This enables us to understand the other characters’ lives. The thing I enjoyed the most was the mystery aspect of the book. It kept me hooked into the story, and I found myself unable to put the book down. I like that there was a mix of romance and mystery because it kept the book interesting. I enjoyed seeing the development of Duncan’s character. He discovered the meaning of friendship, and he realised that his friends were his family.

My favourite character was Molly Hanlon. She’s pretty and confident. I love how she never gave up on Duncan and instead; she was determined to be by his side whilst he goes through cancer.

The only thing that I didn’t like about the book was that the size of the text was really small. As a result, my eyes were straining. Other than this, the book was amazing. The chapters are really short, so I was able to get through them quickly. Also, at only 213 pages, it can be read in one sitting. The story is fast-paced, so you won’t get bored.

Overall, I would rate this book 4 out of 4 stars because the book was executed well, and I thoroughly enjoyed the story. I only found two mistakes, so it is professionally edited. I highly recommend this book to young adults who enjoy reading mysteries with a mix of romance.

The Mariner's Grandson
View: on Bookshelves
Ada Ling
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ada-ling.html
Latest Review: Catapulting Commissions by Anthony Garcia

Post by Ada Ling »

Looks Duncan's life turned when he faced choosing between two women. This will be an interesting read. Thank you for bringing this book to our attention!
CharlieMax1516
Currently Reading: Put Comfortable Shoes in my Coffin
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-charliemax1516.html
Latest Review: Strong Heart by Charlie Sheldon

Post by CharlieMax1516 »

I love a well-written, meaningful story that I can get lost in for an afternoon and finish. This seems to fit that perfectly! I’ll be adding this to my shelves. Thank you for your review!! :D
"Life appears to me too short to be spent in nursing animosity or registering wrongs." -Emily Bronte

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”