Official Review: Listening by Jeffrey Hugh Newman

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Kibet Hillary
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3018
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kibet-hillary.html
Latest Review: Nimue by Ayn Cates Sullivan

Official Review: Listening by Jeffrey Hugh Newman

Post by Kibet Hillary »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Listening" by Jeffrey Hugh Newman.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

How can one become a better listener? What distinguishes a poor hearer from a good one? What makes a person an effective negotiator?

Listening! is a book that was authored by Jeffrey Hugh Newman. It is approximately 180 pages long and was published by Walnut Road Press LLC in 2014. The primary aim of the author is to aid the reader to become a more skilled negotiator in life, in both the mundane interactions and the business world. Consequently, he comprehensively and masterfully addresses listening as a fundamental ingredient of communication from his vast experience. The author explains how and why one must become a master in the art of listening. The key barriers to developing in this area and how to overcome them were discussed as well.

This book will usher and assist you to walk down the path of becoming a kinder, gentler, and more graceful person. Whereas the current society may view these qualities as a sign of weakness, the author makes it clear that they are a sign of strength, and therefore very essential. Moreover, I like the emphasis the author placed on personal responsibility. Many anecdotes were provided to illustrate the fact that people are always in charge of their attitudes and how they respond to varying situations, especially unpleasant encounters. One could then learn how to be a better negotiator even in setups that could be termed uninviting.

Often, I have relished devouring a book only to reach the end and begin trying to obtain words to describe it. This one was exceptional. Personally, what I appreciated most in the book were the pragmatic statements that appeared to be the underlying factors in improving one’s listening skills. One of them was an appeal to always commence each conversation with a belief that what the other person is going to say is important, and hence I am going to learn something from it. This statement, as follows, became a solid foundation for all other reasons and also what held them together. Several other conditions, such as having a positive and receptive mental attitude, were equally adequately described.

There are many things that I enjoyed about the book. The author provided real-life scenarios and then provided specific steps to help one become a better listener and negotiator. It was great being reminded of the need to habitually focus on the present moment. It is an undeniable and tragic fact that we are always tempted to rush to arrive at a destination that seems to vanish whenever we approach it. This affects routine interactions because people are constantly tempted to think of what they could be doing or will be doing afterward. Consequently, this affects hearing. Therefore, this had to be adequately addressed.

The language used in the book was straightforward, and editing was also professionally done. I discovered only one error. However, there is one aspect of the book that I disliked. The title and the first chapters dwelt on how to become an excellent listener, but the concluding chapters were about negotiation. This would have undoubtedly caused me to take away one star, but the book description states that it is meant for those who want to improve their negotiation skills. Therefore, I rate the book 4 out of 4 stars. I recommend it to all readers who are ardent fans of self-help books. It will appeal most to those who want to improve their listening and negotiation skills.

Listening
View: on Bookshelves
“It just hurts too much to admit what is wanted so badly when there’s no guarantee of its availability.”
- Dr. Larry Crabb
Connie Otwani
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 200
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cotwani.html
Latest Review: The Fisherman and his Foundlings by Phillip Leighton-Daly

Post by Connie Otwani »

Wow, listening is indeed a fundamental ingredient of communication yet it is not given much attention. There are too many lessons on speaking and writing. This is a nice change, and your review is thorough and insightful. Thanks for the great review!
There is more treasure in books than in all the pirates’ loot on Treasure Island!
-Walt Disney
Phelicia Gloria
Currently Reading: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies
Bookshelf Size: 118
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-phelicia-gloria.html
Latest Review: Soul Seeker by Kaylin McFarren

Post by Phelicia Gloria »

The wise always listen more than talking , this is an educative book that everyone should read. Thanks for the detailed review.
Absence of evidence is never an evidence of absence
Mukukamm30
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mukukamm30.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Fires of Virko by Matthew Tysz

Post by Mukukamm30 »

Sounds like I can make use of the book because I am a poor negotiator. I would be interested to know the key barriers to listening and how to overcome them.
Great review.
Kola+wole
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kola-wole.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by Kola+wole »

Listening and mindfulness go hand in hand. I like the part where you said the author made the appeal to always commence each conversation with a belief that what the other person is going to say is important, and hence I am going to learn something from it. Communication will definitely become easier and flow smoothly if everyone can adhere to the author's appeal.
Elvis Best
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 86
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elvis-best.html
Latest Review: Teething Problems by Mark Fletcher

Post by Elvis Best »

The concept of this book sounds very interesting. Thanks for the informative review. Good job!
"People are like stained-glass windows. They sparkle and shine when the sun is out, but when the darkness sets in, their true beauty is revealed only if there is a light from within." -Elisabeth Kubler-Ross
Star_and_Buck
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-star-and-buck.html
Latest Review: Abby the Dog and Tigger the Cat by P.L. (Patricia) Rainey

Post by Star_and_Buck »

I love those real-life scenarios in the book. Nice book and a nice review as well.
LuciusM
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-luciusm.html
Latest Review: The Mountain and The Goat by Siamak Taghaddos

Post by LuciusM »

The book sounds great and would give it a try. The review is well written.
"To acquire the habit of reading is to construct for yourself a refuge from all the miseries of life"
Mutai Marshal
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 515
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mutai-marshal.html
Latest Review: A Reckoning of Wolves by Judy Higgins

Post by Mutai Marshal »

I love how you summarized the book. It's true that poor listeners cannot be negotiators. It sounds like a well researched and riveting book.
Great review
rahilshajahan
Currently Reading: Hard-Boiled Wonderland and the End of the World
Bookshelf Size: 96
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rahilshajahan.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Flesh of the Mind by Matthew Tysz

Post by rahilshajahan »

Listening seems like a trivial thing; but after reading your review, I retract my statement. Thanks for an insightful review!
"Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until they speak." - Steve Wright
Honest-reviewer
Currently Reading: The Lost Symbol
Bookshelf Size: 118
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-honest-reviewer.html
Latest Review: A Walk Through the Grapes by David Jackson

Post by Honest-reviewer »

This book seems to be quite informative. I would definitely want to read this one. Thanks for your insightful review!
Damis Seres Rodriguez
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-damis.html
Latest Review: Cynthia and Dan by Dorothy May Mercer

Post by Damis Seres Rodriguez »

Now that sounds like a quite useful book to read. Great review!

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”