Official Review: White Collar Woman 5 by Nicholas L. Maze

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
That Reviewer
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 218
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-that-reviewer.html
Latest Review: Unspoken Things The Inlightenment by Wilfred Thomas

Official Review: White Collar Woman 5 by Nicholas L. Maze

Post by That Reviewer »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "White Collar Woman 5" by Nicholas L. Maze.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

White Collar Woman 5: The Entrepreneur is the fifth book in Nicholas Maze's White Collar Woman Series. Though it could be read as a standalone novel, I'd advise that synopses of the previous installments be read before reading it.

Marla Evans had a good career in the corporate world with T and C. However, her family life was suffering as a result of the time she was giving to her work. With every promotion she got, her responsibilities at T and C heightened. However, with a second child on the way, she needed time for her family — her husband, son, and unborn child. However, the decision to quit her 9 to 5 employment wasn't going to affect her alone. What would be the implication of her career move on her friends and family?

Let me start this review by asking you to picture any soap opera you've watched where everyone knew everyone else, even though they had separate lives. If you could imagine a scenario like this, you would be able to flow with the drama that played out in this short book. Though the story centered around Marla, the author built pockets of subplots around other characters. However, he found a way to connect the characters — either through family or workplace.

The author took the time to develop so many of the characters in this book. Though Marla was the main character, she wasn't all over the place. The author allowed other characters to shine. Characters like Jake, Tony, and Tina had a significant presence in the book. There were times when I felt the protagonist of this story relegated. I wouldn't know why the author opted to do this, but I found it unique and fascinating. It made it easier to connect to other characters on a personal level. For instance, Jake and Tony were playboys who had the charm and charisma to get any woman they wanted. Marla was a hardworking woman who would do anything for her family. This was what impressed me most about this book.

So many themes were given full play in this book. However, one theme that stood out was romance. All of the characters were involved in either a serious relationship or a romantic fling of some sort. Sincerely, I was expecting explicit descriptions of sexual innuendos. But, the author managed it well. The description of sexual activities in this book was minimal — just enough for the reader to figure out that something happened. I couldn't help but imagine the discipline the author displayed not to smear the story with erotism.

One thing I disliked in this book was the holes I found in the subplots. I struggled to relate to some parts of the narrative. For instance, I didn't quite get what a character like Rhonda had to do with the story. The way the author brought her into Marla's space was a little disconcerting. There wasn't any solid backstory that supported their relationship. Again, the story felt rushed. The book ended when I thought it was beginning to pick up the pace. This left me high and dry when I got to the last page.

There were some grammatical errors in the book. I wasn't expecting to see that many mistakes considering its shortness. Overall, I would rate this book three out of four stars. I wouldn't give it a 2-star rating because the positives outnumbered the negatives. Lovers of light romantic stories would enjoy this book.

White Collar Woman 5
View: on Bookshelves
Adrianna Melillo
Favorite Book: The Book Thief
Currently Reading: Revolutionary Mothers
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-adrianna-melillo.html
Latest Review: Spring Fed by Bill Plyler

Post by Adrianna Melillo »

At the very least, this sounds like an entertaining, light series. I also haven't read much about women in the corporate world, so that's exciting. Thank you for the honest review!
Topsey
Currently Reading: Something Wicked This Way Comes
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-topsey.html
Latest Review: The Fisherman and his Foundlings by Phillip Leighton-Daly

Post by Topsey »

Sounds like an interesting read. I do like when subplots are all linked somehow or by some relation. Thanks for the great review.
Mukukamm30
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mukukamm30.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Fires of Virko by Matthew Tysz

Post by Mukukamm30 »

Personally I think the review was very good, although I was put off reading the book the moment you said you felt the book was rushed and some characters seemed be out of play.
I am sure others will be happy to read the book because you still made it sound to be interesting.
FEislandqueen13
Currently Reading: The 19th Bladesman
Bookshelf Size: 59
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-feislandqueen13.html
Latest Review: Doomsday by R. L. Gemmill

Post by FEislandqueen13 »

I actually like the fact that the book isn't littered with sex scenes. The plot also intrigues me as I can relate to the struggles of a working woman finding that balance between job and family. nice review.
Think before you speak. Read before you think.” – Fran Lebowitz
:eusa-think: :eusa-think: :eusa-think:
“The more that you read, the more things you will know. The more that you learn, the more places you’ll go.” – Dr. Seuss
Harty Muli
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 273
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-harty-muli.html
Latest Review: Singularity by Jayme A. Oliveira Filho

Post by Harty Muli »

The book seems helpful in advising career women on how to juggle a career and a family. Thanks for the wonderful review.
Elvis Best
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 86
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elvis-best.html
Latest Review: Teething Problems by Mark Fletcher

Post by Elvis Best »

The plot has got me hooked already. But I'd love to read the previous books in this series first. Great review!
"People are like stained-glass windows. They sparkle and shine when the sun is out, but when the darkness sets in, their true beauty is revealed only if there is a light from within." -Elisabeth Kubler-Ross
Chinelookeke
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chinelookeke.html
Latest Review: Fear Me Now by Christopher Williams

Post by Chinelookeke »

Sounds like an interesting book. Working and taking care of the family at the same is not easy for women. I believe this book will help women to know how to handle such situations better. Thanks for the review.
drwcroaker
Favorite Author: Stephen King
Currently Reading: Brothas from Anotha Motha
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-drwcroaker.html
Latest Review: Waterworks by Jack Winnick
Reading Device: B07XR7CPXG
fav_author_id: 2376

Post by drwcroaker »

Women struggling with career versus family is a very important subject for fiction that is not often found and not often done well. Perhaps the main character would benefit from reading today's BOTD, Business Basics Bootcamp. :wink: Thanks for your review.
We’re gonna need a bigger bookshelf.
GiselleBengochea
Currently Reading: Nathan Turner and the New World Order
Bookshelf Size: 1720
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gisellebengochea.html
Latest Review: Terror In Manila by Frank Q. Aurillo Jr

Post by GiselleBengochea »

Congratulations on an excellent review! God bless you!
Priyanka2304
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-priyanka2304.html
Latest Review: Serendipity Mystery: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Post by Priyanka2304 »

I predicted the content of the book from its title. Really enjoyed reading your review. Thanks.
A Y reviews
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-a-y-reviews.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by A Y reviews »

I am not married but I can understand the complexity of trying to balance work and family. It's a really big for women especially. Great review too
Kola+wole
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kola-wole.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by Kola+wole »

Marla Evans sounds like a woman who has got her hands full. Good review.

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”