Official Review: The Bramble Tree by Randy Lee Purdy

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Juliana_Isabella
Currently Reading: Modern Death
Bookshelf Size: 176
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-juliana-isabella.html
Latest Review: Love, Grandma by Ann Morris

Official Review: The Bramble Tree by Randy Lee Purdy

Post by Juliana_Isabella »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Bramble Tree" by Randy Lee Purdy.]
Book Cover
1 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Bramble Tree by Randy Lee Purdy is a short fiction book about a son’s journey to recover his greatest memory of his father. Jacob was raised on a ranch by his father, Rory. Rory’s parents traveled the rodeo circuit together until a tragic accident left Rory alone. He finds his way back to the light through the help of a few friends who own a ranch. There, Rory finds love and begins a family, which includes Jacob, his son, who shares his love and respect for animals. Rory buys Jacob a baby Brahma bull which becomes his closest friend. When a resentful family member sells the bull away from Jacob, he goes on a quest across the country and the rodeo circuit to recover the animal which embodies his relationship with his father.

After reading the compelling summary above, you, like me, are likely thinking this could be an interesting book that includes complex characters and rich world building. This is definitely what I was hoping for when I chose to read this book. Unfortunately, I found that many of my expectations were not met. To begin, the book is quite short (about 100 pages), and there is a lot of history told within the first 20 pages. Before the reader really has a chance to connect to the characters, they are moving quickly through life, falling in love, getting married, and having children. I hadn’t even begun to care about Rory’s story before I was then supposed to care about his love story with his wife. The book continued to zip along with many characters being added along the way, and there was never enough time between each character appearing for me to understand their particular motivations, interests, or emotions.

I think one of the main reasons I felt that the story was speeding by was because the author spent a lot of the book summarizing- telling instead of showing. The majority of the book is made up of narration explaining what happened over a period of time. There are very few scenes which actually involve dialogue between characters to help them develop. Also, all of the characters feel one-dimensional. It’s obvious who are the bad guys and who are the good guys, and we aren’t given enough information about the antagonists to sympathize with them or even just to judge them on our own.

Overall, I would rate this book 1 out of 4 stars. I had planned to give it 2 stars up until the very end, but the conclusion of the book was so unbelievable and unsatisfying that I felt I had to give it the lowest rating. Besides the issues mentioned above, I also found a variety of errors in the book, which convinced me that it was not professionally edited.

I wouldn’t recommend this book to anyone in its current state, but the reading level is suitable for adults. There is no sexual content, and the violence is limited to one scene and is not overly graphic. It includes strong themes of Christianity, loyalty to family, and kindness towards animals, but I did not find that these positive themes could overcome the negative aspects of the book.

The Bramble Tree
View: on Bookshelves
Topsey
Currently Reading: Something Wicked This Way Comes
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-topsey.html
Latest Review: The Fisherman and his Foundlings by Phillip Leighton-Daly

Post by Topsey »

What a shame that this book didn’t live up to the expectations set out by the description. Thank you for being so honest about it.
Chinelookeke
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chinelookeke.html
Latest Review: Fear Me Now by Christopher Williams

Post by Chinelookeke »

From the above review,there is no need reading the book because no one would want to spend time reading a book and get upset at the end. Thanks for the sincere review.
Samwisekoop
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-samwisekoop.html
Latest Review: Perfection and Other Illusive Things by J Mercer

Post by Samwisekoop »

This book upsets me! It has so much potential, yet is ruined by the characters and the author's style. I definitely agree with @Chinelookeke, the book sounds like a waste of time. Thank you very much for your well-written and honest review!
"Even the smallest person can change the course of the future." - Galadriel
LinaJan
Favorite Author: Connor Mackay
Currently Reading: Zona: The Forbidden Land
Bookshelf Size: 275
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-linajan.html
Latest Review: Shifting Sands by Barry Litherland
fav_author_id: 197769

Post by LinaJan »

It started off promising but, as you say, it only makes it worse when it is not delivered upon :/ Shame, as it did sound like a nice idea!

Thank you for your frank and informative review! :)
Kirsi Cultrera
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading: Then Comes The Flood
Bookshelf Size: 196
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kirsi-cultrera.html
Latest Review: Remembering Stardust by C. D. Baker

Post by Kirsi Cultrera »

You are right, the summary sounded compelling enough to catch my attention. Too bad that the book was not as good as one could have expected. Thanks for reviewing and saving the rest of us the trouble...
Kirsi
Official Reviewer Representative
Koltrast
Currently Reading: The Eye of Illumination
Bookshelf Size: 241
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-koltrast.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings

Post by Koltrast »

I'm sorry you were left disappointed! It really goes to show how important it is for authors to give the reader time to care for the characters, and to pace the story properly. Nobody wants to be rushed headlong through a story, especially not one that centres around relationships (like this one seems to). Giving a low rating is never fun, and you've written a good and fair review!
"Oh, how do you solve a problem like Maria?
How do you hold a moonbeam in your hand?"
- The Sound of Music
Alexandros92
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alexandros92.html
Latest Review: The Legacy of Job's Wife by Cynthia Koelker

Post by Alexandros92 »

That's a shame, it sounded really interesting :/ Thank you for your review
Priyanka2304
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-priyanka2304.html
Latest Review: Serendipity Mystery: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Post by Priyanka2304 »

The start of the review was giving me some hope, it's sad to know that the story didn't stand up to the expectations. Thanks for the honest review.
Priyanka2304
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-priyanka2304.html
Latest Review: Serendipity Mystery: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Post by Priyanka2304 »

The start of the review was giving me some hope, it's sad to know that the story didn't stand up to the expectations. Thanks for the honest review.

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”