Official Review: Paris in May by Daine Grey

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Jgideon
Favorite Book: Gates to Tangier
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 253
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jgideon.html
Latest Review: Sundays with Sister ssj by Anthony Happy LaRiccia

Official Review: Paris in May by Daine Grey

Post by Jgideon »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Paris in May" by Daine Grey.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Daine Grey’s Paris in May is a novel that would make any reader embrace every moment of his/her life. As a young man, David Walton witnessed the kind of hardships that his father, John Walton, had to go through to put food on the table. John was a single father who had a deep hole in his heart and nothing could ever fill, including material possessions. Enduring adversity, bullying, and racial discrimination, David chose to make his life meaningful.

The other major characters in the novel include Ken Carle, a young man from an affluent family who would later have David Walton as a colleague and close friend. Valerie, the mother of David Walton’s children, also takes up a role in shaping the life experiences of David.

My favorite character was Mr. Johnson aka Bootsy. His humility and skills with the piano were his strong suit. A suit that did not hinder him from performing his duties in the Carle family where he spent most of his time tending to the family’s horses and cleaning stables until his employer discovered his talent. Ken Carle, from the tender age of eleven years, became Bootsy’s piano student until he turned eighteen. The lessons that he learned from Bootsy made him earn a spot as one of the most talented musicians in New York.

How much can be contained in a human being? This was the question that lingered in my mind after reading this book. Author Grey put so much on the shoulders of the main character, yet everything seemed to play out perfectly. He switched careers several times without faltering from his major goal in life. Walton had several breakdowns that threatened to shatter his dream but he still managed to pull through each one of them successfully. Readers who love stories that revolve around resilience, personal development, and the meaning of life will find this book very enjoyable. Also, lovers of crime investigations will have a fair share of their preferences served as Walton tackles tasking jobs both in the military and in the CIA. The book has a few cuss words and adult content. I recommend it to adults only.

Undoubtedly, this book was professionally edited. I gave it a perfect rating: 4 out of 4 stars. I did not give it a lower rating because I did not have any difficulties while reading it. I can attribute this to the author’s ability to keep the novel captivating yet delivering great themes. There is nothing that I disliked in Paris in May.

Paris in May
View: on Bookshelves
Samgum50
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 113
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-samgum50.html
Latest Review: Divided World by Kenneth Pickering

Post by Samgum50 »

Nice review. This book seems very interesting to read based on your review.
Kirsi Cultrera
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading: Then Comes The Flood
Bookshelf Size: 196
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kirsi-cultrera.html
Latest Review: Remembering Stardust by C. D. Baker

Post by Kirsi Cultrera »

Paris in May sounds like an interesting read. I can't wait to dive into the life of David Walton, he sounds like a very compelling character. You did a good job with the review, thanks!
Kirsi
Official Reviewer Representative
Chimdi_3
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chimdi-3.html
Latest Review: Waves Break (on Unknown Shores) by Barry Litherland

Post by Chimdi_3 »

Reading this review made me want to sit down and enjoy the book to the very end.Very nice review.
Gracious Ngy88
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21

Post by Gracious Ngy88 »

An interesting description. I would really want to read this book just for characters involved especially David Walton
Great review though.
sirbobthewise
Currently Reading: Embracing Defeat
Bookshelf Size: 222
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sirbobthewise.html
Latest Review: PRAGUE: Darkness Descending by Robert Tecklenburg

Post by sirbobthewise »

It sounds like the characters really bring this book to life, huh. I love that they practically leap off the page just through reading your review. Life can be so difficult, so it’s encouraging for our hearts to be able to read books like this, witnessing how people keep moving forward even through the difficulties. Great review!
book_fanatic_
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-book-fanatic.html
Latest Review: Wonder by Jon Trovato

Post by book_fanatic_ »

Sounds like an intriguing read. After reading your review, I'm interested to know how David makes his life meaningful. Great review.
She read books as one would breathe air, to fill up and live. - Annie Dillard
Latest Review: Wonder by Jon Trovato
Mohammed_Sameer2
Favorite Author: Marcel Proust (Author)
Favorite Book: Swann's Way: In Search of Lost Time, Vol. 1
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mohammed-sameer2.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings
fav_author_id: 221667

Post by Mohammed_Sameer2 »

It is a good review of Daine Grey's book, "Paris in May" Jgideon, that you discovered the paths of main characters in the work.
I confirm that these narrative works are still effective, because of their dramatic actions, and the rhetoric sides of the repitation of some real contexts. Have a good day.
Ksharmilla
Currently Reading: Going Wild
Bookshelf Size: 52
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ksharmilla.html
Latest Review: McDowell by William H. Coles

Post by Ksharmilla »

This sounds like a lovely and inspiring book to read. Your review makes me want to read this book. Great job!
BB Ombayo
Currently Reading: Do I Need a Will or a Trust
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bb-ombayo.html
Latest Review: Masters and Bastards by Christopher J. Penington

Post by BB Ombayo »

One look at the cover page and the title and I was like " here goes another predictable love story." The book is however more than that. Thanks for the review. It helped me learn that
Caffrey_19
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 58
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-caffrey-19.html
Latest Review: Rescued by E. Alan Fleischauer

Post by Caffrey_19 »

It seems like this book portrays hardship, internal struggles, rehabilitation, as well as individual brilliance. Nice work on the review.
Priyanka2304
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-priyanka2304.html
Latest Review: Serendipity Mystery: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Post by Priyanka2304 »

Paris has witnessed a lot of stories and captured them beautifully in its heart. Hopefully this story comes out amazingly. Thanks for the review.

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”