Official Review: Fall of the Raven by Thymournia

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Ruba Abu Ali
Currently Reading: Notes on a Nervous Planet
Bookshelf Size: 111
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ruba-abu-ali.html
Latest Review: Grammar for a Full Life: How the Ways We Shape a Sentence Can Limit or Enlarge Us by Lawrence Weinstein

Official Review: Fall of the Raven by Thymournia

Post by Ruba Abu Ali »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Fall of the Raven" by Thymournia.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

“I need to be alone. I need to ponder my shame and my despair in seclusion; I need the sunshine and the paving stones of the streets without companions, without conversation, face to face with myself, with only the music of my heart for company.”--Henry Miller

Fall of the Raven by Thymournia (Ali Sheikhaleslami) is a photo-text book where the author artistically pairs prose poems with black and white photos of the raven. The author seems to have gone through a deep loss that left him in despair. Nothing seems to instill hope in him, not the sun, nor the sky or the pleasures of life. In several instances, you can see clearly that he’s only waiting for death.

Albeit rhyming, the narrative does not conform to the conventional poetic style. It is rather congruent with prose poems, each of which is paired with a photo of the raven that the author/artist shot himself. Picking the raven as a witness to the despair and aloofness was an appropriate choice.

I liked the rawness and transparency in the expression of grief, hopelessness, and vulnerability. I also appreciated the charming writing style and the beautiful and thought-provoking language. “I’ve made a life behind these walls of eternity from the pieces that I’ve found, from the broken pieces of the past, all to create; a roof to be safe under, a home to turn back to, a memo to write over, a coffin to rest inside forever and to leave there all, and all over again to go out and to see the violence, to go out and to be homeless, to leave, to witness the cold, and to break again.”

There is so little to dislike about the book; the photos were exquisite, and they were a perfect match for the prose. However, for someone who’s optimistic by nature, the dose of giving in to despondency may be a bit too much.

I could only spot four trivial and easily rectifiable errors that do not merit any deduction from the overall score. I think Fall of the Raven would appeal to those looking for a soul-searching read, and to those who do not mind probing their sadness and despair in a transparent manner. However, readers sensitive to gloomy reads, especially at such uncertain times for our humankind, would better pass on this one. That said, it pleases me to rate Fall of the Raven by Thymournia 4 out of 4 stars.

On a final note, reading this book has been therapeutic, as it gave me a chance to get in touch with deep places in my heart that harbored pain and sadness. The stellar photos and the captivating words helped transport me to soar with the raven, in a surreal experience that only exceptional books can pull off.

Fall of the Raven
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
nyash kamau
Currently Reading: Perfect
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nyash-kamau.html
Latest Review: Jihadi Hijacking by Eric Auxier

Post by nyash kamau »

this book gives the reader understanding how the author has gone through loss that brought despair
Cynthia_Oluchi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 48
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cynthia-oluchi.html
Latest Review: California: On the Edge of American History by Ronald Genini

Post by Cynthia_Oluchi »

Probing my sadness in transparent manner? I sincerely mind. So, I'll have to pass this one. This is a good review!
Josephe-Anne
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Author: George Orwell
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 488
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-josephe-anne.html
Latest Review: Niching Up by Chris Dreyer
fav_author_id: 1746

Post by Josephe-Anne »

The author certainly chose an interesting pseudonym.

This book - which displays the author's talent in writing and photography - explores inner thoughts of melancholy. Despite its gloomy theme, I am intrigued.

Thank you for including selected quotes in your excellent review! :tiphat:
"A house without books is like a room without windows." :techie-studyinggray:
― Horace Mann
Ruba Abu Ali
Latest Review: Grammar for a Full Life: How the Ways We Shape a Sentence Can Limit or Enlarge Us by Lawrence Weinstein

Post by Ruba Abu Ali »

Josephe-Anne wrote: 31 Mar 2020, 20:53 The author certainly chose an interesting pseudonym.

This book - which displays the author's talent in writing and photography - explores inner thoughts of melancholy. Despite its gloomy theme, I am intrigued.

Thank you for including selected quotes in your excellent review! :tiphat:
Thank you for stopping by and for the thoughtful comment.
GatugiM
Currently Reading: Project Tau
Bookshelf Size: 187
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gatugim.html
Latest Review: The Vanished by Pejay Bradley

Post by GatugiM »

Sometimes it is good to explore the dark side that we rarely want to visit. It is therapeutic to deal with grief. I like how he expressed his pain and including the photos is a great idea. I will be looking for this book. Thanks for an excellent review
MsH2k
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Crushing
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 366
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-msh2k.html
Latest Review: Lilleah by eelonqa K harris

Post by MsH2k »

What is it about ravens? After reading your review, I quickly reread Poe’s poem “The Raven.” I get what you mean about this type of book leading to therapeutic reflection. Thanks for a great review!
"Knowing what must be done does away with fear."
Rosa Parks
Ruba Abu Ali

Post by Ruba Abu Ali »

GatugiM wrote: 01 Apr 2020, 20:40 Sometimes it is good to explore the dark side that we rarely want to visit. It is therapeutic to deal with grief. I like how he expressed his pain and including the photos is a great idea. I will be looking for this book. Thanks for an excellent review
Thank you. Appreciated.
Ruba Abu Ali

Post by Ruba Abu Ali »

:doh:
MsH2k wrote: 02 Apr 2020, 01:23 What is it about ravens? After reading your review, I quickly reread Poe’s poem “The Raven.” I get what you mean about this type of book leading to therapeutic reflection. Thanks for a great review!
Thank you for the insightful input.
Diana Lowery
Currently Reading: The Exchange
Bookshelf Size: 343
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-diana-lowery.html
Latest Review: The Witchdoctor Paradox by Barry Tyrrell
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Diana Lowery »

The concept of pairing pieces of prose with photos of ravens sounds amazing. I am sorry it was so depressing. I hope the author found peace eventually.
praise+anyi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-praise-anyi.html
Latest Review: Duplicity by Fin C Gray

Post by praise+anyi »

I'm passing on this one. The prose feels a little bit dark and awkward for me. But I'm intrigued in the author's use of unique illustrations through the photos he used. Ali is truly talented.
Nedbrian
Currently Reading: Into the Hand of a Woman
Bookshelf Size: 107
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nedbrian.html
Latest Review: Different Family Structures by Mildred Stallworth

Post by Nedbrian »

A nice narrative poem this book must be, however poetic genre is not my thing so I would pass.
hammad Siddiqui
Currently Reading: Surviving the Business of Healthcare
Bookshelf Size: 9
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by hammad Siddiqui »

STORY - The artist is exquisitely pairing fine art photography with poetry, taking the reader through a complex journey of photographs and words entwined. As the story of the raven develops, each part is accompanied by its visual pair, a fine art photograph with the ever present raven as the main subject, in a world of sceneries that brings to life the heavy, deep darkness of the written lines, and the words are about life and nothing more. The book is highly representative for the artist, as his deeply personal work comes from a dark past and the blank future, often using the symbol of the “Raven” as the one witnessing all its surroundings while being isolated and doomed, silenced and ignored because of all the reality he has seen and all the bitter truth he has to offer, all resulting in visual and written artworks that are heavy and true, with a deep feeling of sorrow and nostalgia

REVIEW - Fall of the Raven by Thymournia conveys the feelings of a broken heart without using any filter. The fine photography of raven in various setups blends well with the words of despair. The almost poetic narration is so powerful that it affects the readers with the same pain that the writing is about. As the narrator loses hope, he begins his long and gloomy wait for the sweet release called death. The words are injected with soul-crushing loneliness, torturous despair, and hopeless devastation. The symbolic usage of the raven to represent a broken soul is very effective .
NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Star Maker
Bookshelf Size: 426
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: The Ripsons by Joe Morrow
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 36%

Post by NetMassimo »

An interesting book that stimulates emotions through art. From what I read, it can induce intense reactions. Thank you for your great review!
Ciao :)
Massimo
alant1892
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reading Device: B00HCNHDN0

Post by alant1892 »

As a counselor, I find the review of this work with particular interest as a potential help for my clients. As a person having an appreciation for nature photography and with too much loss over the past few years, reading the description of text and images along with selected quite encourage me to read the book myself. Probably not today, but hopefully soon--the reviewer is wise in the caution that some may be too sensitive to read it.

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”