Official Review: The Senior Year by Bill Liggins

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Snowflake
Currently Reading: Adrift
Bookshelf Size: 288
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-snowflake.html
Latest Review: Don't Think Twice by Barbara Schoichet

Official Review: The Senior Year by Bill Liggins

Post by Snowflake »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Senior Year" by Bill Liggins.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Senior Year by Bill Liggins is exactly what the title leads you to believe. It is a book about four young men in their senior year of college. Tommy, Mitch, Pepper and Carl attend Gulf Atlantic University in Tampa, Florida. In this final year, they are preparing to transition from academic life into the “real” world. This is a highly enjoyable story about the challenges four “regular” students face as they take further steps into adulthood.

Tommy and his girlfriend, Sheryl, are architectural students and are working hard to prepare for the next steps in their chosen field. They are also discerning what the future holds in store for them as a couple. Mitch is a handsome and charismatic man with his eyes on the prize of becoming a member of the honour society for graduates, Phi Beta Kappa. Mitch has a way with women and he always likes to keep his options open. Will he find a special someone or continue charming his way through life? Pepper is the star quarterback of the football team and rumoured to be a top-five NFL draft pick. How will all of the attention affect him and his girlfriend, Trina? Carl works part-time and runs the campus radio station. His goal is to boost the station's signal and audience but he runs into fundraising issues. Carl is extremely hard-working and always competing with Mitch for top marks. Will Carl find time in his crazy schedule to make a new connection and will all of his hard work pay off?

All of these questions, and more, are answered within this charming story. What I really enjoyed most about this book was the warmth of its tone and how realistic it felt. You could definitely sense the heat of Florida’s climate. You could also feel the warmth of the friendships between our main characters. They were all young men of integrity. Each one had a phrase/motto from a loved one that helped keep them on track. The author has created an authentic college experience with characters that feel true-to-life. Tommy, Mitch, Pepper and Carl had ups and downs in their relationships, challenges to overcome and goals they were working towards. I was pleasantly reminded of my own time in university.

There really wasn’t anything to dislike about this novel. Once started, I did not want to put it down! As mentioned in the book's description, there was a very difficult situation near the end. I would have been quite happy without that additional challenge. However, those situations do happen in life. The only other thing I could mention is that the book needs further editing. None of the errors were serious. They did not impede my enjoyment of the story. A final edit would clear them up and allow this book the top rating it deserves.

I give The Senior Year by Bill Liggins 3 out of 4 stars. Once the grammar errors are corrected, I would happily award it 4 out of 4 stars. This novel has a warm, humorous, down-to-earth tone that is easy to read. It also has a cast of very realistic and likeable characters. It was a pleasure to read from start to finish. I truly missed the young men and their friends when the story was finished. This is a great novel for readers who enjoy coming of age stories, realistic fiction and genuine characters. There are a few respectful scenes of a sexual nature and some instances of swearing. All were tastefully done. This book would be acceptable for older adolescents and beyond.

The Senior Year
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
peace starts with a smile...
kdstrack
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

A well-written story that will remind readers of their time in university. I enjoyed your description of the characters. Great review!
xoxoAnushka
Favorite Book: "Better dead than divorced"
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-xoxoanushka.html
Latest Review: That Guy What Kill Topsy by Peter Wood Cotterill

Post by xoxoAnushka »

I think that it would provide warm-nudgy feeling. Great review btw!
Julius_
In It Together VIP
Favorite Author: Roger Glasgow
Favorite Book: Mythic Worlds and the One You Can Believe In
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 120
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-julius.html
Latest Review: Dynomike: Pay It Forward by Frankie B. Rabbit
fav_author_id: 187887

Post by Julius_ »

If you faced difficulty in putting it down, then it was a nice book. thanks for the review.
We're all philosophers. When there's a tough choice to be made, when faced with the facts of birth,love or death or simply when thinking about what we want to do with our lives.
Amy747
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 70
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amy747.html
Latest Review: Real Secrets Of Life by Krishna Jagarnath

Post by Amy747 »

I love the fact that each main character had a special motto from a loved one that kept them on track.

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”