Official Review: Ambition by Val Grian

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Chigozie Anuli Mbadugha
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: The Barnyard Buddies STOP for Peace
Currently Reading: When Leaves Fall
Bookshelf Size: 1583
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chigozie-anuli-mbadugha.html
Latest Review: Winning the War on Cancer by Sylvie Beljanski

Official Review: Ambition by Val Grian

Post by Chigozie Anuli Mbadugha »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Ambition" by Val Grian.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Ambition by Val Grian is a witty, fast-paced crime thriller that readers of crime fiction will enjoy reading. It is a story about friendship, betrayal, and gangsters with enough twists in the plot to keep readers guessing till the very last page.

George Finlan and Alan Robinson are buddies and business partners. A bad investment sends them on a mission to recover all they have lost. They have young, pregnant wives, and their love for their families propels them to do the right thing. The betrayal that initiated this adventure turns out to be the first of several betrayals. Their friendship is tested beyond measure. Lives are risked when they have to recruit other men to fight with them. New, unusual friendships and liaisons are made.

The author was able to describe scenes so well that I believe he will easily create mental images of the scenes in the minds of the readers. I could easily imagine this story being made into a movie. The story is character-driven because his protagonists are flawed and real, unlike most stories in which the protagonist comes across as a superhero that cannot make mistakes. It is easy to like the protagonists in this story, and I found myself unconsciously rooting for them and hoping they do not make a mistake or a wrong investment again.

Despite the seriousness of the crime thriller, the author was able to inject a lot of witty remarks to create some humour in the book. Even amid the action and life and death situations described in the book, I was still able to laugh a little. I liked the statement below in the book because it reminded me of the regret that married people sometimes feel when they are angry with each other.
“If the wedding ceremony had taken please right at that moment, the pastor would not have heard yes from him.”

I enjoyed reading this book because it was fast-paced, witty, and written in simple everyday language. The dialogue was natural and easy to read. The themes of love, betrayal, relationship, and loyalty are universal, and a lot of people can relate to them.

I only found a couple of grammatical errors, so I think the book was professionally edited. The target audience was young adults, and I believe they will enjoy reading the book.I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars because it was an enjoyable read. There was nothing in the book that I disliked reading.

Ambition
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Jaime Lync
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 120
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jaime-lync.html
Latest Review: You Are A Christian. NOW WHAT? by James Rondinone

Post by Jaime Lync »

Wow, your review sold me this book from the first paragraph. Sounds like you really enjoyed it. Thanks for sharing.
Kanda_theGreat
Currently Reading: The Fox
Bookshelf Size: 167
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kanda-thegreat.html
Latest Review: Born To Survive by Kylie-Anne Evans

Post by Kanda_theGreat »

I love crime thrillers and your review couldn't have enticed me more.
Thank you for the review.
Bet on Me! :idea:
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

Wow! The story sounds fun, and plot twists really help to keep you engaged. I'm glad out easy to picture what's going on. Great review. Thanks!
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Marsnikk
Currently Reading: Opaque
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marsnikk.html
Latest Review: Apollo's Raven by Linnea Tanner

Post by Marsnikk »

From your review this looks like a great book to read with my daughter. Something to make her think! Great review!
Nisha Ward
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Garth Nix
Favorite Book: Binti Home
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 321
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nisha-ward.html
Latest Review: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute by Jeff Meyer
Reading Device: B0794RHPZD
fav_author_id: 4351

Post by Nisha Ward »

This is a great sounding book for young adults. Betrayals, thrilling adventure, crime and plot twists galore all seem to define it as a marvelous read. Excellent review!
"...while a book has got to be worthwhile from the point of view of the reader it's got to be worthwhile from the point of view of the writer as well." - Terry Pratchett on The Last Continent and his writing.
Julius_
In It Together VIP
Favorite Author: Roger Glasgow
Favorite Book: Mythic Worlds and the One You Can Believe In
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 120
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-julius.html
Latest Review: Dynomike: Pay It Forward by Frankie B. Rabbit
fav_author_id: 187887

Post by Julius_ »

I'm a reader of crime Thriller. I'm glad that this book is witty as well as fast paced. I'm going to check it out. Thanks for the review.
We're all philosophers. When there's a tough choice to be made, when faced with the facts of birth,love or death or simply when thinking about what we want to do with our lives.
Ferdinand_Otieno
Favorite Author: Victor Rose
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1749
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ferdinand-otieno.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker
fav_author_id: 78026

Post by Ferdinand_Otieno »

This is a witty, fast-paced crime thriller that highlights friendship, betrayal, action, love, desperation, and debt. It is free on Kindle Unlimited and has an inciteful OnlineBookClub review that highlighted It perfectly. I rated the book 3 out of 4 stars. Congrats on the BOTD.
Stephanie Elizabeth
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies
Bookshelf Size: 212
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stephanie-elizabeth.html
Latest Review: Do You Remember Me? by Wm M Crouch

Post by Stephanie Elizabeth »

This does sound like it could be a movie! I like that, while it is an action book, the author has spent a considerable effort into creating well-developed characters. I also like that there is some comedic relief sprinkled into the book. Thanks for the great review!
Sushan Ekanayake
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading: Uplifting The Pain of Behavioral and Learning Styles Through Poetry Now
Bookshelf Size: 408
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sushan-ekanayake.html
Latest Review: Unsettled Disruption by Juana Catalina Rodriguez
Reading Device: B0794JC2K5

Post by Sushan Ekanayake »

"Fast paced crime thriller", it just watered my mouth. Looking forward to read this soon. Congratulations on being BOTD
We all need people who will give us feedback. That’s how we improve.

- Bill Gates -

:lire4: $u$han €kanayak€ :text-feedback:
Jorge Leon Salazar
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 151
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jorge-leon-salazar.html
Latest Review: The Artificial Intelligence Rights and Responsibilities Act” by Alton Booth

Post by Jorge Leon Salazar »

Sounds interesting this witty and accelerated crime thriller aimed at criminal fiction readers. It deals with topics such as friendship, betrayal, and gangsters. I would like to read it.
Bles
Currently Reading: Dance of Dreams
Bookshelf Size: 37
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bles.html
Latest Review: Nettie Boo by Judy Adams Brown

Post by Bles »

I have never been a lover of crime thrillers but this one seems unique. The book has great themes which includes friendship and betrayal. Therefore, I will add it to my to-read list. Congratulations on the BOTD. Great review.
Books are beautiful.
C-obi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 288
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-c-obi.html
Latest Review: The Solution is Political Revolution by Jillion R Rising

Post by C-obi »

The review gave the characters a very intriguing impression. Thanks for the review.
Nerea
Favorite Author: William H. Coles
Favorite Book: Diamond and Pearls
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 675
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nerea.html
Latest Review: Little White Lies by JC Anderson
Reading Device: Laptop
fav_author_id: 89641
Signature Addition: No Wahala

Post by Nerea »

A fast-paced crime thriller sounds promising. Based on the summary in the review, the story sounds fascinating and captivating. I will add it to my want to read shelf. Thanks for the review.
"Regular reading improves your grammar."
No Wahala
Veraok
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 307
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-veraok.html
Latest Review: The Biblical Clock by Daniel Friedmann and Dania Sheldon

Post by Veraok »

This fast-paced crime thriller seems good for young adults. Thanks for the great review

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”